Stay Beautiful, And Keep It Ugly

for my groups experiment, we made a maze for the cockroach to go through. we put her in the beginning, and at the end we put rotten lettuce (because cockroaches like rotting food.) our question was if they could navigate through the maze. Shaniqua (as we later named her xD)ended up going through the maze, hitting dead ends then turning around and going the right way after a while. though she did cheat, and crawled under one of the walls to get to the lettuce. we could only try it twice,with the limited time, but the first time she made it after cheating, and the second time she made it to the lettuce without going under or over anything.

things i know about cockroaches?

1. their cool

2. if you see one in your house there's a thousand under your house (thanks alisha :3)

3. almost all the girls hate them in our class

4. they can create a stampead of girls (and some guys) if you shove them in one girls face. xD

5. their really ugly...C:

6. they can survive for a week after their heads are cut off.

7. they can resist a high amount of radiation.

8. they bight, and eat fingernails, feet and hands.

things i want to know?

i honestly cant think of anything right now... :P

1. The Elwha Dam was put up to be used for it's Power generating capacity.

2. Glines Canyon

3.It killed fish and increased the rivers temperature which in turn created more disease and parasites.

4.

In our science class, we are starting an experiment on Snails. Therefore, we have to do a blog on what we know about Snails, and what we want to know.

SO.

What I Know About Snails;

they die when brought in contact with salt.

their slow

their slimy

their shell is made out of calcium

they eat their dead partners shell to strengthen their own(shell)

they have four eyes

What I Want To Know About Snails;

how many teeth do they have?

do they eat anything, or is it certain food (besides salty food) they they eat?

can they SMELL?

if they can smell, do they know how HORRIBLE smelling they are?

do they have tongues?

On A Side Note;

I'm naming a one of our Snails Bob. ^.^

Article posted April 17, 2012 at 05:25 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 83

Our experiment was about if plants can grow in a plastic bag as well as out side of it. We took a huge zip lock baggy and set radish seed on a wet paper towel. We had 3 groups of seeds and on one we put 3 drops of red food coloring and on another we put 3 drops of blue food coloring. The 3rd group we left plain. We put the 3 radish seed groups on the wet paper towels in the zip lock baggy and blew it up and closed it. Then left it by the window. They started to grow on the forth day we left them there. Every 3 days we changed the paper towels and didn't add any food coloring. The radishes continued to grow and the red and blue ones ended up having blue viens and red leafs. One mistake we made was we didn't grow any radishes outside of the bag.

Our claim; you can grow plants just as well inside a bag as well as you can outside of one.

Our evidence; the radishes grew fine in the bag, though they took a late start on sprouting. We think this is because they went in actual soil and it took longer to suck the water out if the paper towels.

Our reasoning; they would have grown just as fine as any other radish seeds outside (though we didn't grow any outside of the bag) and grew into beautiful radishes if Alisha didn't leave them in her backpack.

bibliography:

“Greenhouse Gas” Wikipedia, n. d. Web. 25 Apr. 2012.

<[LINK]>.

"The Water Cycle." SouthWest Florida Water Management District , n. d. Web. 25 Apr. 2012. <[LINK]>.

Green house Effect and Global Warming. 2010. Web. 25 Apr 2012. <[LINK]>. <[LINK]>.

Article posted February 15, 2012 at 06:05 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 51

Article posted February 7, 2012 at 06:28 PM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 51

Bacteria in Our School

A: for 48 hours of bateria growing we have seen that the girls bathroom door knob is the one with the most bacteria out of the four.

E: our evidence for this answer is how many bacteria colonies that have grown in it's section and how big they are compared to the other bateria colonies in the other samples.

I: In our project we didn't have any inaccuracies or scources of error.

O: in our observations we saw that the drinking fountain we swabbed had no bacteria growing (THANK GOD). We observed that the door knob we saw bed was the one with the most bacteria, with 4 bateria colonies that were smooth yellow and whitish bumps. Mr. diPretes mouth was the second bacteria scorch that had 3 bacteria colonies that were yellow bumps. The smallest bacteria swab we did was the girls bathroom toilet handle that had only 2 bacteria colonies that were yellow smooth bumps.

U: I understood that bacteria grows in multiple places, maybe not in bleached areas like the drinking fountain (we suspected that's why it had no bacteria) and that everywhere we go there's bacteria-even in hospitals!

In class, we are using microscopes to look at single-cell organisms. On each magnifier, there is a label that has is magnification. The first one is 4x which magnifies it by 40, because it's 10 x whatever number it is. The second is 10x, which is magnified to 100, and the 3rd Is 40x, which is 400, but sometimes it's hard to see that close.

A way to find something on the microscope is to put the object at the point of the black pointer (for instance a cell) then after focussing it, you can go higher on the magnification scale and it'll stay on that object rather then magnifying something you don't want to see up close. (like clear water...)

One mount, (out of 2) -which is what you put under the microscope (a glass slide, and your substance.)-is a Dry Mount. A Dry mount, is dry, (DUH!) it is not wet, we don't add water, and if we don't add water then we usually don't need a coverslip (something to put over the wet mount so it doesn't A) scratch the lens, and B) so it doesn't get the lens wet too.) The second mount is a Wet Mount, which is when we add water, solution, ect. Or the substance we were looking at is like creek water. We would need a coverslip for this (the Wet Mount). The field view is used in the 40x magnification, it focuses way more acuretly on the substance you are looking at.

Looking in the microscope is like looking in a mirror. Everything is backwards. If u move the slip left you go right. Your move right, and the slip goes left. Up is down and down is up, not to mention that you have to put your slip under the microscope upside down because if you don't the substance or object will be upside down when you look at it.

this is the video we made for paramecium!!!!

Article posted November 9, 2011 at 06:07 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 68

My groups experiment was on brine shrimp. We had tap water, sugar water, salt water and and purified water.

Our question was which liquid would hatch the shrimp eggs.

As we did the experiment, all of them hatched in each vile. Though as we watched, some eggs did hatch but they died in the end.

When we looked at each vile under the micro scope we saw empty eggs and non moving shrimp. They all had died even though we put yeast in there for them to eat.

What might have killed them was how much yeast we put in there, because mr. G said that we didn't want to much.

As we watched our shrimp eggs, we saw more and more hatch, but none of them lived. It was liked they died as soon as they left their eggs. In the beginning, we saw one alive, but as The days passed it died as well.

The brine shrimp did best in the sugar water and tap water.

I love rockstars!!!!