Copyright (c) 2014 by PA Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
PA -- Blogmeister

pay me

5C 09-10

One to One computing room

by PA

teacher: Matt McCartney

Title: Journal Entry #1&2 (10/18/09)
Description: Goal: Journal what you have learned this year.

Entry 1: Recap what you learned from researching vertebrates. Share how many groups there are and give some examples

Entry 2: Journal about the start of the 13 colonies. How have these events impacted you today?

These two entries must be posted by Friday, October 23

I would like you to know that I have had a very successful unit on vertebrates. So, to show you what I have learned, I am writing a letter to you that tells you what I know.

I have learned a ton of information on fish. To start you of, I will tell you about jawless fish.

The jawless fish have a body structure that makes them look like an underwater snake. They have a mouth that’s round and is like a suction sup. The jawless fish are parasites. The only current existing jawless fish is the lamprey.

The body structure of the bony fish includes a skeleton made of bone and fins, scales, and hard coverings over their gills. The bony fish are found in both salt and freshwater ecosystems. Some examples of bony fish are eels, cod, perch, herrings, salmon, minnows, and your common goldfish.

The body structure of the cartilage fish includes a skeleton made of cartilage. They also have jaws that can open and close. The cartilage fish eat other fish and have scales. Some examples of cartilage fish are sharks, rays, and skates.

Now, I will move into the wonderous vertebrate group called reptiles.

The reptilian groups have body structures that include dry scaly skin and two pairs of legs with five toes on each leg. Reptiles are more complex than amphibians. They have well developed lungs and three chambered hearts. The four main groups of reptiles are turtles, lizards, alligators, and snakes.

Amphibians are a very fascinating group of vertebrates. Their body structure includes moist skin and no means that they change in stages. Amphibians go through metamorphosis, which means they change in stages. As young, they live in water and as adults they have lungs and live on land. Adult amphibians have three chambered hearts. Some examples of amphibians are frogs, toads, and salamanders.

Next, I will move into birds. Birds have a body covering of feathers. They also have four chambered hearts. Most birds have wings used for flying. Birds build nests where they lay hard-shelled eggs. Birds live in various different climates. When the weather gets cold, many birds migrate to warmer climates. Some examples of birds are pigeons, owls, ducks, pheasants, penguins, and turkeys.

And finally, I will move into mammals. Mammals have the most complex organ system of all the animals. They have a body covering of hair and fur. The females also have special organs that produce milk to feed their young. Mammals have the most complex brains of all the animals too. Some mammals also lay eggs like the Duckbill Platypus. There are also some mammals called marsupials that have a pouch such as the Kangaroo. Some examples of mammals are bears, rats, horses, cows, and humans.

So thank you so much for educating me on the wonderful animal species called vertebrates.

Sincerely,

ED

Article posted October 19, 2009 at 01:44 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 66

Hello we just did a graphic organizer on vertebrates and know I will teach you the things I know. Fish: there are 3 different groups of fish, jawless, bony, and cartilage fish. All fish have two chambered hearts. Reptiles: reptiles have tough and dry skin; also there are more than 8,000 species of reptiles. Amphibians: Contains poisonous glands for protection and they also have thin and moist skin with no scales. Birds: A bird has a four chambered heart and there are about 10,000 species of birds. There is only one poisonous bird known in the world that is called hooded pitohui. Mammals: mammals have four chambered hearts and there are 5,400 species of mammals. This is what I know about vertebrates.

The 13 colonies have made a big impact on me. For many reasons like, houses are built better because what the 13 colonies did before. Also mainly the way of living because they are like our teachers and we follow in their footsteps. What they did made a big impact on probably everybody in the United States because we wouldn’t have jobs and we wouldn’t know what to do if they wouldn’t have come. The 13 colonies have made a big impact on a lot of people in the United States and even more.

I am reading this cool book and it is called No Talking By Andrew Clements so far it is pretty good you should try out some of his books. The place is mostly at school amd everybody is not talking at all in the school and they are having a compition of the whole fith grade see who talks the most the boy or the girls? i have to read more to find out come back when i have new info.

Thing’s I Learned about Vertebrates

Here are a few things that I learned about vertebrates:

*All mammals are warm blooded.

*Humans have the most complex brain.

*Salamanders lay their eggs in a non water proof jelly on the bottom of a pond or lake.

*There are three types of fish: Jawless, Bony, and Cartilage.

*The Jawless fish was the first major type of fish.

*The Bony fish is the largest type of major fish.

From,

M&M

Things I Learned about The 13 Colonies

Here a few things I learned about the 13 Colonies:

1. The things we do today are somewhat similar to what they did back then (self-governing).

2. The colonist’s went to America to find religious freedom but they prosecuted the people that did not go by the local religion.

3. Many men hunted for food and the woman cooked the food the men caught.

4. There were many disease carrying mosquitoes flying around by Virginia.

5. The soil down in the south was good for farming.

6. The north was good for lumbering and manufacturing.

By,

Mitchell

M.

Vertebrates: they all have backbones. There are 5 groups of vertebrates. The 5 groups of vertebrates are Amphibians, Reptiles, Fish, Birds and Mammals. Some examples of Vertebrates are Frogs, Alligators, Trout, Rays, Lether Jackets, Blue Jays, and humans.

!3 Colonies:  It all started when England wanted to expand their territory (they were kind of greedy)  so they sent colonist to North America, they were called the New Englad Colonies. Some wanted to go so they could have religious freedom. Others would go to Georgia if they were deters. Some tried to find the North-West Passage. These events impact us today because if they (The people in Europe) hadn't  been brave enough to come to north america, it would maybe have changed our lives.

Article posted October 19, 2009 at 05:15 PM GMT0 • comment (3) • Reads 81

Fish

I learned that fish are vertebrates and that there are three different groups of fish like jawless fish, bony fish, and cartilage fish.

Jawless fish are composed of cartilage and their skin does not have scales. Jawless fish have three chambered hearts .Some facts about jawless fish are that they have circle mouths, have no jaws, and the mouth is of the sucking type. Examples of jawless fish are lampreys and hagfish.

Bony fish have skeletons are made of bones and have fins, scales and have hard coverings that protect their gills. Bony fish can be found in salt and fresh water they eat plants or animal material. They have fins and scales. Trout, tuna, and bass are all examples of bony fish.

Cartilage fish skeletons is made of cartilage which is not as hard as bone these fish have jaws and have two chambered hearts. Cartilage fish are also known as chondrichthyes. They have scales but gills are not covered. Cartilage fish eat other animals.

Reptiles

Reptiles are coldblooded, have three chambered hearts and their body are covered with scales. Reptiles don’t have gills and some contain poisonous glands for protection. Turtles have shells that cover them and give them protection. Examples of reptiles are turtles, snakes, lizards, and alligators

Amphibians

Amphibians are cold-blooded, have moist skin, have a three chambered heart and have sturdy skeletons. Amphibians have no scales and live half their live in water and half on land. Water helps amphibian’s breath. Examples of amphibians are frogs, toads, and salamanders.

Birds

birds are warm-blooded vertebrates with a body covering of feathers also birds have four chambered hearts. When the weather turns cold and snowing many birds migrate to warmer places. Birds such as ducks, geese, and robins live in areas with changing seasons. The feathers of some birds are used to line coats and quilts .The robin, blue jay, cardinal, ducks, and geese are all examples of birds.

Mammals

A mammal is a vertebrate with a body covering of hair or fur and females have a special organ that produces milk to feed its young. Mammals are warm blooded and have more complex brains than any other animal also humans become skilled in using objects as tools. Examples of some mammals are humans, lions, bears, and kangaroos.