teacher: Wendy Fisher

Conflict Blog #3- The Graveyard Book
“The Graveyard Book” by Neil Gaiman is about Nobody (Bod) Owens, a boy whose whole family was killed by the man Jack when he was a baby. He wandered into a graveyard near his house and was adopted by the ghosts, and raised by them. A conflict Bod faces is that he is locked in a small room by two people who are trying to take a brooch from him without giving him any money. Many more characters are involved in a similar conflict in the book “Artemis Fowl” by Eoin Colfer. Artemis Fowl, the protagonist, is trying to steal gold from the fairies (which actually is a collective term for all magical creatures), so he kidnaps the elf LEP-recon (roughly equivalent to the FBI) agent Holly Short and holds her for ransom. This is similar to the conflict in “The Graveyard Book” because both Artemis and the two men in “The Graveyard Book” by very unfair means. This is one similarity (I’d probably remember more if it hadn’t been so long since I read “Artemis Fowl”) between the conflicts in the book “Artemis Fowl” and these chapters of “The Graveyard Book” by Neil Gaiman.

Article posted June 4, 2010 at 11:45 AM • comment • Reads 46 • see all articles