Copyright (c) 2014 by Rob Jacklin Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Rob Jacklin -- Blogmeister

Mr. Jacklin's Class Blogs

Ideas, thoughts, creative writings, or classroom Meanderings!

by Rob Jacklin

St. John Wikispaces
Blog Tag Generator
Mr. Jacklin's Professional Blog
Mrs. Slaven's Class Blogs
Mrs. Rumsey's 3rd Grade
Creative Writing Prompts

Article posted May 8, 2012 at 09:31 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 19866

Hyperlinking is a pretty fun thing! You can link to your favorite sites like this: Miniclip or just pasting the address and letting the blog create the hyperlink like this: http://www.miniclip.com.

But be careful, links might not always take you to where they say they will: Google

See!

Article posted March 16, 2012 at 08:30 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 114

"Going Viral"

Have you ever heard the phrase, "Going Viral?" In the video the right, Kevin Allocca talks about what factors

make a YouTube video "go viral." After watching the video, please write a blog article using Classblogmeister addressing the ideas below.

1. Identify the characteristics Mr. Allocca talks about in the video that cause a video to go viral.

2. Think about a message that you think the world needs to hear about. What kind of video could you make about the message?

3. Which viral video characteristic would you try employ to make sure that you video got seen by the maximum amount of people possible?

As your writing your article, take a moment and make sure that all of your sentences are complete. Make sure that all of the conventions of good writing are followed (good grammar, punctuation, capitalization, etc).

DO NOT PUBLISH the blog right away! Let it stay a draft. We will revisit your writing next class.

Article posted March 2, 2012 at 06:53 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 136

3/2/2012--What should I write about??

If we were professional bloggers, you wouldn't generally just write about whatever comes to mind. Most blogs have a main idea, theme, or point they are consistently writing about. In our case however, we are using blog writing as a platform for writing in general, so we just want you to WRITE!

But sometimes, you may not know what to write about. Here are some potential ideas for you to consider:

1. Write about a new technology that has NOT been invented that would revolutionize the Christian church and help the spread of the Gospel. What would it look like? What would it do? **Be creative! Remember it hasn't been invented yet, so it could even seem impossible!

Or, you could write about....

2. What new technology, toy, or device that has come out in the past 5 years, do you think has the greatest potential to be used by the devil to pull people away from Jesus?

Finally, you could write about.....

3. If you could give every person in the world a technology device, what would it be and why?

Hopefully these will spark your imagination into writing about something original and interesting!

Article posted February 24, 2012 at 08:42 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 115

Reflect on the statement that "sometimes it's the little things that make the biggest difference."

Article posted February 17, 2012 at 09:11 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 296

In class today we watched two videos by technology magician Marco Tempest: Augmented Reality, Techno Magic <http://www.ted.com/talks/marco_tempest_the_augmented_reality_of_techno_magic.html> and The Magic of truth and lies (and iPods) <http://www.ted.com/talks/marco_tempest_the_magic_of_truth_and_lies_on_ipods.html>

After watching these two videos, we want you to write about your opinion regarding the videos. Do you think magic should be part of technology? Should technology be part of magic? What are your thoughts?

Article posted February 10, 2012 at 08:01 AM GMT-6 • comment (3) • Reads 181

More than anything else, blogging gives you an opportunity to express yourself in your writing. Not everyone loves writing....including me!....but it is an essential component to expressing your thoughts, sharing ideas, and analyzing arguments.

Feel free to publish about any topic you wish, but be sure to always check the "L.A.R.K.-ness" of your post.

Article posted March 15, 2011 at 08:52 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 98

In light of the devastation on the island of Japan, it's important to think about what we all can do to help keep ourselves and our communities safe before, during, and after a natural disaster. The following game will help you think through this process:

http://stopdisastersgame.org/en/home.html

Have Fun!

Article posted March 9, 2011 at 08:44 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 942

Mr. Luehmann shared with me that you were studying bacteria and viruses in science class. There are a lot of different ways to show what you've been learning, but I'd like to challenge your searching and evaluation skills a little. We will be working on a short project over the next three class periods.

1. Using the "filetype:" search option in Google, find PowerPoint files posted on the Internet that teach or present informaiton about bacteria and viruses.

2. Actively find, view, and evaluate a minimum of three presentations.

3. Compare, contast, and evaluate the presentation slides to determine which presentation in your opinion is the best presentation for helping someone to learn the basics about bacteria and viruses.

4. Write a blog article linking to the presentation you thought was the best, while including a summary of your comparing, contrasting, and thinking behind why you chose the presentation you did.

5. Things you will want to include in your article: a link to the presentation and some type of image reflecting the topic of the article.

Note: I'm not requiring a Venn Diagram or other graphic organizer for taking notes. Comparing, contrasting, and evaluating are pretty "brain-heavy" activities and you'll remember what you've done later better if you've taken SOME type of notes. It is up to you to decide which note-taking strategy works best for you.

Don't hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

Before requesting publishing on the article, in the drop down menu marked "Assignments," please choose "Bacteria Blog."

Image: "bacteria" by cesarharada.com. Used under a Creative Commmons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License

Article posted March 1, 2011 at 07:48 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 128

So do you remember Google Earth (G.E.)? Some of you may have fond memories of using it to create informative and pleasant looking placemarks. While others of you may want to forget the sad thoughts of losing and redoing hours of work in unsaved folders of mishandled KML files!

Either way you look at it, Google Earth is a powerful tool and is by far one of the best programs that helps connect knowledge and infomation to geographic location.

Here is a link to the Google Earth Blog, please read the latest article regarding the use of a tricycle to capture "street view" type images inside of places. Here is what I'd like you to DO:

1. Read the blog article about how Google is using a tricycle to get "Street-View" images inside of famous places. Feel free to follow the hyperlinks and even take five minutes to open G.E. and see what is new (don't get lost in there, you have more to do!). Clicking the "KML" links will download the placemarks and street view of those locations.

2. Write a blog article regarding your thoughts about what you just read. Include your opinion about other places you think Google should use the "trike" to get street view images. Also include in your article what you think is really good about doing using something like street view. On the opposite end, what do you think could be bad about Google taking images of the whole world?

3. Using GaggleTube, embed a video overview of street view and how it works. (Something like this)

4. Be sure to include tags at the bottom of you blog article.

I look forward to hearing your opinions!

Quick reminder: Remember how annoying it was to read other students blogs that didn't make sense, because it looked like they were just completing and assignment for their teacher? Wouldn't the article have made more sense if the person writing it wrote it with the understanding that the reader likely doesn't know what the assignment is! That is what you should. Write your article with the idea that a person who reads it, doesn't necessarily know the context of WHY you are writing it. Please include in your writing enough background information so your reader isn't lost! Thanks!

Article posted February 23, 2011 at 01:45 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 167

After enjoying the four games about the Judicial branch of governement at iCivics.org, reflect on your time by answering the addressing the following ideas or topics in a blog article:

1. How does your game reflect the purpose of the judicial branch in our representative democracy?

2. What new thing did you learn about our legal system from playing the games at iCivic?

3.Which game do you think will help you the most with your jury trial coming up (if your game did at all)?

Article posted January 25, 2011 at 07:24 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 127

Welcome 6th Grade to the world of blogging.

Classblogmeister is the first platform we use at St. John to introduce you publishing content online.

There are lots of different things we'll ask you to post throughout your time here at school, but the thing we want to practice the most is the ability to "filter" yourself. Remember, just because you WANT to say something, doesn't mean you always HAVE to!

Article posted November 23, 2010 at 03:08 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 98

Article posted November 6, 2009 at 07:22 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 77

Hey 7th Grade Bloggers! Just so you know, since I started requiring you to have one blog a week, I figured it would be important for me to be blogging to. If you want, check out

my blog articles

. I usually write about helping teachers and students use technology. Most recently, I've been writing about how to motivate teachers to be life-long learners. Something you wouldn't think you'd have to teach teachers!

My articles, most likely, will not be on interest to you, but at least you know that I'm there writing along side of you!

Keep writing. Perfect practice makes perfect! Don't forget the Spelling and appropriate grammer still count in the "real" world!!!!

Article posted September 30, 2009 at 02:39 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 61

Here is a video about how to embed a video on your Blogmeister articles.

Article posted September 25, 2009 at 12:58 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 77

Hi,

Here is my blog article for they day. I really would like to show you this video from YouTube, because I think it's cool and does a great job of highlighting my point!!!

Article posted September 15, 2009 at 02:16 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 57

Some of you may have noticed a change in our students' blogging behavior. In previous years, I would give the students a topic to blog about and they would be responsible for writing a response to it.

That didn't work out so well!

Most of the posts were short, unthoughtful, and down-right not interesting to read. So this year we've decided to have students blog about what they enjoy...with an occasional "have-to" blog article :-)

Check back often and comment as much as you'd like!

Article posted April 21, 2009 at 01:10 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 63

<span style="text-align:center;width:280px;display:block;"><embed FlashVars="rss_feed=http://www.bubbleshare.com/rss/561609/feed.xml&amp;border=true&amp;size=268x201" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="always" bgcolor="#ffffff" height="238" pluginspage="[LINK]; quality="high" src="[LINK]; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="280"></embed><span style="font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:9px;display:block;">BubbleShare: <a href="[LINK]; style="font-size:100%;">Share photos</a> - <span style="font-size:100%;">Play some <a href="[LINK] Games</a>.</span>

</span></span>

Article posted April 21, 2009 at 01:05 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 68

BubbleShare: Share photos - Easy Photo Sharing

Article posted April 7, 2009 at 06:13 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 167

We all know that some day technology will be so common place that every daily interaction we have with people, places, and things will be "touched" by technology. What is your opinion of this invention? What are the potential positive outcomes because of this product? What the possible negative outcomes because of this invention?

Article posted April 3, 2009 at 09:46 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 72

Article posted February 13, 2009 at 05:26 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 74

St. John will be entering the Doodle for Google Contest this year and our class will also. If you'd like to take a look for yourself at all the details, just to to http://www.google.com/doodle4google

Here is what you need to do today!

Write a blog article brainstorming and "thinking outloud" around the topic: "What I wish for the world..."

Here are some examples to get your brain working: "I wish for the world that....."

...  we use plants for electricity

… we make college free for everyone

… we give health insurance to all who need it

… we connect everyone by cell phone or computer

These are just examples, feel free to make up your own and be creative. Its OK to imaginative and playful, but please be sensible

Article posted February 11, 2009 at 05:59 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 83

Here is a great article from Ms. Godling and her students, "

Behaving Well Online, Middle School Edition

Is there anything you can add as a comment to her blog? What recommendations would you make?

Article posted January 30, 2009 at 06:19 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 54

Take a moment this morning to write a blog article about the role of hard work and why it's important: Work Ethic 2.0 article from Mark Elgan.

What does this article tell you about your future?

Article posted January 21, 2009 at 10:00 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 53

Take a moment and do some reading in the links below about how to write good blog articles, how to handle comments, and how to write good comments.

Vicki Davis--http://coolcatteacher.blogspot.com/2006/03/ten-habits-of-bloggers-that-win.html

Wil Richardson--http://weblogg-ed.com/2004/blogging-thoughtsagain/

Life Hack--http://www.lifehack.org/articles/technology/what-makes-a-good-blog-post.html

Check out this 6th Grade blog and leave some comments for one of Ms. Osteen's classes.

http://classblogmeister.com/blog.php?blogger_id=17192

Article posted October 22, 2008 at 06:44 AM GMT-6 • comment (2) • Reads 58

Please choose one of the following topics to blog about today Wednesday, October 22:

1. On this day of Blue Ribbon celebration, take a moment and reflect on chapel. How did it make you feel? What was the best part of the morning? What was the worst part? Do you feel proud to be a member of the St. John community?

2. Write a reaction to our Circle of Concern Food Drive project for Advisory. What did you think about it? What was it like to have responsibility for organizing classrooms in your advisory groups.

Please be sure to include at least ONE hyperlink and ONE image in your blog article.

Article posted April 15, 2008 at 09:12 AM GMT-6 • comment (1) • Reads 64

Research and Define the term "Digital Citizenship." What is a digital citizen? What types of respsibilities and rights are part of being a good digital citizen?

Include research citations and tags Please

Article posted April 1, 2008 at 09:08 AM GMT-6 • comment (1) • Reads 75

What are the possible consequences of this technology? What are the benefits of it? How might it be abused?

Read Philippians 4:8. What implications would your "thought life" have on the future of a technology like this?

Article posted March 27, 2008 at 12:57 AM GMT-6 • comment (4) • Reads 68

What lessons can you as a 21st century Christian learn from the narrative about the woman with the issue of blood? Site specific examples from the story.

Article posted March 6, 2008 at 09:12 AM GMT-6 • comment (1) • Reads 81

Watch the following video about the Lunar X-Prize from Google.

What are your thoughts about this contest? What are the advantages of having this be a contest versus a government sponsored event through NASA?

Any Comments? Thoughts?

Article posted February 18, 2008 at 10:47 AM GMT-6 • comment (1) • Reads 63

Below is an excerpt of a blog article taken from Mrs. Durff's classroom blog. Please take a moment and read through what makes a good blog article. You know how to do most of these things(with the exception of the technorati tags), so what would it take for you to "kick it up a notch!"

"Write a first-rate blog post!

The following are some traits of successful blog posts:

1. The posts (or comments) are well written. This includes not only good content, but standard English conventions including capitalisation, organisation, punctuation, spelling, and grammar.

2. The posts (or comments) are responsive. They respond to other people’s ideas – whether it is a post by a teacher, a comment by a student, or an idea elsewhere on the Internet. The power of blogs is in connections – they are connected to a larger community of ideas. Participate in that community.

3. The posts (or comments) include textual references to support opinions. Adding quotes or links to other works strengthens your post.

4. To be part of the dialogue, part of the conversation, you have to participate fully, consistently and often.

5. Your posts (or comments) are respectful of others. It’s okay to disagree; it’s not okay to be disagreeable. Be respectful of others and their opinions, and be civil when you disagree.

6. Your posts include at least 3 technorati tags.

7. Your posts speak to visual literacy by carefully choosing an image to include. The image should refer to what is written.

Thanks for the tips Mrs. Durff!

Photo: Flickr-Uploaded on November 4, 2006

by incendiarymind

Article posted February 14, 2008 at 04:15 PM GMT-6 • comment (5) • Reads 75

Article posted January 17, 2008 at 08:33 AM GMT-6 • comment (2) • Reads 68

God chose Joseph to be the earthly father of his son. Based on what you have learned about Joseph. What made him a good father for Jesus?

What kind of father do you think God is? People often judge parents based on the behavior of the children. What does the behavior of God's children tell you about the Father? What examples from the Bible can you use to support your opinion?

Article posted January 8, 2008 at 10:29 AM GMT-6 • comment (1) • Reads 61

[LINK]" target="_blank">[LINK]">Go to Google

Article posted October 18, 2007 at 09:06 AM GMT-6 • comment (2) • Reads 67

Below are some verses from Proverbs that Mr. Jacklin's Class thought were important. Choose two to read and write an article about how you see those in your life?

6:1

31:30

29:18-24

29:25

19:21

9:6

15:1

4:20

25:21-22

6:16-19

28:1

27:1

22:24

22:6

24:14

10:4

Article posted October 8, 2007 at 09:08 AM GMT-6 • comment (1) • Reads 75

Read 1 Kings 3:16-28

What was the ultimate outcome this decision? How was this typical of Solomon's kingship? What does a story like this tell you about Solomon?

What does it tell you about God?

Article posted September 27, 2007 at 08:03 AM GMT-6 • comment (1) • Reads 71

Compare and contrast the character of Gideon and Samson. Discuss such themes as strength and weakness, faith, etc.

Article posted September 13, 2007 at 12:00 AM GMT-6 • comment (1) • Reads 62

Take a look at the following two pictures. Which of the two do you think is a more accurate representation of Gideon? Does one stand out from the other? Maybe neither of them??

weakness

soldier

Article posted September 18, 2007 at 09:55 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 60

Below is an artist's interpretation of Deborah. What do you think? What do you like about it? What don't you like about it? What does the image tell you ABOUT Deborah?

Fletcher, Elizabeth. "DEBORAH AND JAEL." Women in the Bible. 2006. 18 Sep 2007 .

Article posted September 12, 2007 at 10:31 PM GMT-6 • comment (3) • Reads 62

Hello folks,

Most all of you have been doing a really good job of using "The Language of Power" (i.e. appropriate written English :-)

Just a reminder that I'm starting to clamp down and am not approving comments that do not include appropriate language (punctuated senteneces, using capitalized letters where needed, non-IM speech, etc.)

Blogs are designed to share ideas and thoughts. We want people to focus on the ideas and the thoughts, not left wondering why you can't spell, puncutuate, or articulate you ideas in appropriate English :-)

Keep up the good work!

Article posted August 30, 2007 at 09:06 AM GMT-6 • comment (1) • Reads 72

Look up the following verses and summarize what they mean.

2 Corinthians 11:1-6 (focus on verse 3)

1 Timothy 2:11-15

What do these versus say about Eve?

What does it tell you about how Eve is remembered in scripture

Article posted January 31, 2007 at 07:52 AM GMT-6 • comment (2) • Reads 73

gif animation Isn'the cute and adorable?

5th Grade
6th Grade
7th Grade

It is a joy to be a teacher and technology coordinator. I love the marriage of the two and the beautiful music that they make. I have been teaching for 10 years, with this my 1st year at St. John. I am blessed to have a lovely wife, Jennifer and two daughters, Rachel and Sarah. Locations of visitors to this page