Copyright (c) 2014 by Rob Jacklin Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Rob Jacklin -- Blogmeister

Mr. Jacklin's Class Blogs

Ideas, thoughts, creative writings, or classroom Meanderings!

by Rob Jacklin

St. John Wikispaces
Blog Tag Generator
Mr. Jacklin's Professional Blog
Mrs. Slaven's Class Blogs
Mrs. Rumsey's 3rd Grade
Creative Writing Prompts

Article posted May 8, 2012 at 09:31 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 22828

Hyperlinking is a pretty fun thing! You can link to your favorite sites like this: Miniclip or just pasting the address and letting the blog create the hyperlink like this: http://www.miniclip.com.

But be careful, links might not always take you to where they say they will: Google

See!

Article posted March 16, 2012 at 08:30 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 147

"Going Viral"

Have you ever heard the phrase, "Going Viral?" In the video the right, Kevin Allocca talks about what factors

make a YouTube video "go viral." After watching the video, please write a blog article using Classblogmeister addressing the ideas below.

1. Identify the characteristics Mr. Allocca talks about in the video that cause a video to go viral.

2. Think about a message that you think the world needs to hear about. What kind of video could you make about the message?

3. Which viral video characteristic would you try employ to make sure that you video got seen by the maximum amount of people possible?

As your writing your article, take a moment and make sure that all of your sentences are complete. Make sure that all of the conventions of good writing are followed (good grammar, punctuation, capitalization, etc).

DO NOT PUBLISH the blog right away! Let it stay a draft. We will revisit your writing next class.

Article posted March 2, 2012 at 06:53 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 155

3/2/2012--What should I write about??

If we were professional bloggers, you wouldn't generally just write about whatever comes to mind. Most blogs have a main idea, theme, or point they are consistently writing about. In our case however, we are using blog writing as a platform for writing in general, so we just want you to WRITE!

But sometimes, you may not know what to write about. Here are some potential ideas for you to consider:

1. Write about a new technology that has NOT been invented that would revolutionize the Christian church and help the spread of the Gospel. What would it look like? What would it do? **Be creative! Remember it hasn't been invented yet, so it could even seem impossible!

Or, you could write about....

2. What new technology, toy, or device that has come out in the past 5 years, do you think has the greatest potential to be used by the devil to pull people away from Jesus?

Finally, you could write about.....

3. If you could give every person in the world a technology device, what would it be and why?

Hopefully these will spark your imagination into writing about something original and interesting!

Article posted February 24, 2012 at 08:42 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 138

Reflect on the statement that "sometimes it's the little things that make the biggest difference."

Article posted February 17, 2012 at 09:11 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 329

In class today we watched two videos by technology magician Marco Tempest: Augmented Reality, Techno Magic <http://www.ted.com/talks/marco_tempest_the_augmented_reality_of_techno_magic.html> and The Magic of truth and lies (and iPods) <http://www.ted.com/talks/marco_tempest_the_magic_of_truth_and_lies_on_ipods.html>

After watching these two videos, we want you to write about your opinion regarding the videos. Do you think magic should be part of technology? Should technology be part of magic? What are your thoughts?

Article posted February 10, 2012 at 08:01 AM GMT-6 • comment (3) • Reads 210

More than anything else, blogging gives you an opportunity to express yourself in your writing. Not everyone loves writing....including me!....but it is an essential component to expressing your thoughts, sharing ideas, and analyzing arguments.

Feel free to publish about any topic you wish, but be sure to always check the "L.A.R.K.-ness" of your post.

Article posted March 15, 2011 at 08:52 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 117

In light of the devastation on the island of Japan, it's important to think about what we all can do to help keep ourselves and our communities safe before, during, and after a natural disaster. The following game will help you think through this process:

http://stopdisastersgame.org/en/home.html

Have Fun!

Article posted March 9, 2011 at 08:44 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 1024

Mr. Luehmann shared with me that you were studying bacteria and viruses in science class. There are a lot of different ways to show what you've been learning, but I'd like to challenge your searching and evaluation skills a little. We will be working on a short project over the next three class periods.

1. Using the "filetype:" search option in Google, find PowerPoint files posted on the Internet that teach or present informaiton about bacteria and viruses.

2. Actively find, view, and evaluate a minimum of three presentations.

3. Compare, contast, and evaluate the presentation slides to determine which presentation in your opinion is the best presentation for helping someone to learn the basics about bacteria and viruses.

4. Write a blog article linking to the presentation you thought was the best, while including a summary of your comparing, contrasting, and thinking behind why you chose the presentation you did.

5. Things you will want to include in your article: a link to the presentation and some type of image reflecting the topic of the article.

Note: I'm not requiring a Venn Diagram or other graphic organizer for taking notes. Comparing, contrasting, and evaluating are pretty "brain-heavy" activities and you'll remember what you've done later better if you've taken SOME type of notes. It is up to you to decide which note-taking strategy works best for you.

Don't hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

Before requesting publishing on the article, in the drop down menu marked "Assignments," please choose "Bacteria Blog."

Image: "bacteria" by cesarharada.com. Used under a Creative Commmons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License

Article posted March 1, 2011 at 07:48 AM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 159

So do you remember Google Earth (G.E.)? Some of you may have fond memories of using it to create informative and pleasant looking placemarks. While others of you may want to forget the sad thoughts of losing and redoing hours of work in unsaved folders of mishandled KML files!

Either way you look at it, Google Earth is a powerful tool and is by far one of the best programs that helps connect knowledge and infomation to geographic location.

Here is a link to the Google Earth Blog, please read the latest article regarding the use of a tricycle to capture "street view" type images inside of places. Here is what I'd like you to DO:

1. Read the blog article about how Google is using a tricycle to get "Street-View" images inside of famous places. Feel free to follow the hyperlinks and even take five minutes to open G.E. and see what is new (don't get lost in there, you have more to do!). Clicking the "KML" links will download the placemarks and street view of those locations.

2. Write a blog article regarding your thoughts about what you just read. Include your opinion about other places you think Google should use the "trike" to get street view images. Also include in your article what you think is really good about doing using something like street view. On the opposite end, what do you think could be bad about Google taking images of the whole world?

3. Using GaggleTube, embed a video overview of street view and how it works. (Something like this)

4. Be sure to include tags at the bottom of you blog article.

I look forward to hearing your opinions!

Quick reminder: Remember how annoying it was to read other students blogs that didn't make sense, because it looked like they were just completing and assignment for their teacher? Wouldn't the article have made more sense if the person writing it wrote it with the understanding that the reader likely doesn't know what the assignment is! That is what you should. Write your article with the idea that a person who reads it, doesn't necessarily know the context of WHY you are writing it. Please include in your writing enough background information so your reader isn't lost! Thanks!

Article posted February 23, 2011 at 01:45 PM GMT-6 • comment • Reads 202

After enjoying the four games about the Judicial branch of governement at iCivics.org, reflect on your time by answering the addressing the following ideas or topics in a blog article:

1. How does your game reflect the purpose of the judicial branch in our representative democracy?

2. What new thing did you learn about our legal system from playing the games at iCivic?

3.Which game do you think will help you the most with your jury trial coming up (if your game did at all)?

5th Grade
6th Grade
7th Grade

It is a joy to be a teacher and technology coordinator. I love the marriage of the two and the beautiful music that they make. I have been teaching for 10 years, with this my 1st year at St. John. I am blessed to have a lovely wife, Jennifer and two daughters, Rachel and Sarah. Locations of visitors to this page