Copyright (c) 2014 by Clarence Fisher Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Clarence Fisher -- Blogmeister

Excellence and Imagination

Grade 7 / 8

by Clarence Fisher

ITIL Certification
Car Parking Games

Moving day is here!

Soon we will be moving our blogs over to a new site. Mine is already up and running. This will give us a lot more control over how our blogs look and over where our content goes.

Check out my new blog:

[LINK]

Article posted January 19, 2006 at 03:14 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 79

Time to get your blogs moving again. Don't forget that you need to write a blog post on the flattener that were assigned in class. Take a look at the wiki the kids designed in New Orleans for beginning ideas and then search for your own information. You need two things: what is the flattener? Explain what the event is, or what the thing is. Second, tell us why it is important. How has it changed what is possible. How has it changed how we do things?

Several paragraphs.

Finally!

We've scripted, practiced, shot, and edited a series of seven math videos.

They've finally been uploaded to ourmedia.org and archive.org.

To check out what we've done:

go to archive.org and search for Joseph H. Kerr School

Finally!

Check out what we've done.

[LINK]

The World Cup of Chess is being played in Russia and is ending this week. If you go to the site:

worldcupchess2005.com

and click on the "games" tab and then on "view" you can actually watch the games being played. A good way to see how Grandmasters play and to learn from them.

Unfortunately, the only Canadian playing was eliminated from the tournament early.

Article posted November 19, 2005 at 11:39 AM GMT0 • comment (3) • Reads 129

Pittsburgh is a very different city compared to other places I've been. This used to be a coal mining city, so it is hilly and rocky. There are a number of tunnels that go straight into the face of the large hills (small mountains?) that are right in the city. The streets are narrow and twisty and the buildings downtown are very tall. It kind of gives the impression of walking in a canyon.... The city is very busy. Crowds of people and a lot of traffic can make the rush hours hectic.

There is no snow here, but it is quite cold, around -4, -5. The worst part is, I forget to bring my camera (or the video camera!). I'm going to see today if I can buy one of those single use cameras somewhere.

I'm sitting in the airport in Minneapolis right now. This is a beautiful and completely re - done airport. I've flown out of here several times but it can be confusing because they are renovating right now. It is huge. It would take you probably a 1/2 hour to walk from one end to the other!

I caught my flight from Winnipeg at 6:30 this morning. It is a short flight to Minneapolis, only about an hour. After breakfast and coffee ( .... must have coffee after getting up at 4:00 A.M. ;) I'm waiting for my next flight which leaves in about an hour.

Don't forget that you can get in touch with me while I'm gone. Use my school email address:

fish@mail.jhk.mb.ca

I'll be checking it regularly.

As you are enjoying your long, long weekend, don't forget that many of you still need to write your news blog posts. Whether you are doing current events: Canada, current events: world, science and technology , or arts and entertainment, you can't forget to do it.

Remember that you need to provide links to two places on the Internet that people can go for further information as well as ensuring a large part of your post revolves around so what? kind of questions. Why is this issue important? What does this mean? Why should we care?

Article posted November 8, 2005 at 03:49 AM GMT0 • comment (4) • Reads 78

With 3851 reads on the blog post below this one, it is time to remind all of you about audience in your writing. People are reading (obviously...) so what are you going to do keep your audience coming back?

Readers read blogs that are:

- interesting

- well written

- updated regularly

- spelled correctly

I am not you major audience anymore. People from across Canada and the U.S., Lebanon, South Korea, several European countries, and Australia have touched our blogs in the last several days. We have had doctors, nurses, optometrists, survivors of Katrina, law and medical students, a lot of people making their way though high school, along with many, many others read and leave comments on your blogs over the last few days.

You should be very proud of yourself and what you have accomplished in the short time we have had this year so far. Running a classroom in this way changes what it means to learn. You are not learning for me. You are not writing for me. You are learning for yourselves and writing for a world - wide audience. Think about what this means.

Like the blog title says; excellence and imagination will push us further this year then we can imagine.

Article posted November 4, 2005 at 03:09 AM GMT0 • comment (7) • Reads 46

These days we are at a very busy point in our classroom. We are looking at the original Grimm's fairy tales and the original Hans Christien Andersen fairy tales. We are talking about Aesop's Fables. We also are looking at our own blogs, blogs from Texas and Australia, recent news stories, and examining the history of the war in Iraq.

We are reading stories and looking at point of view, and re-writing them from another point of view. We are finishing our novel, The Giver, and starting up a science unit about optics.

As well, math videos are well on the way. Most people are through story boarding, practicing, and are on the way to shooting and editing.

Do you have enough to do?

Grade 8