VanessaRenee(:-

They are one of the biggest cockroach reaching 5-7.5 cm at maturity. They have no wings unlike the others.They are good at climbing, they can climb on smooth glass. Males are bigger than the females. There babies are called nymphs. Females carry the ootheca (egg case) then they release the small nymphs.They live to about 5 five years old and they eat vegetable material. Like grass lettuce and stuff like that

This week were learning about cockroaches. The Madagascar Hissing Cockroach is one of the largest species of cockroach, reaching 5-7.5cm at maturity. You can usually find them in rotting logs, and unlike other cockroaches they are wingless.

I learnd that Madagascar is an island home to fascinating insect, Madagascar hissing cockroaches.

Madagascar hissing cockroaches are wingless insects, shiny brown in color.

They are oval-shaped and have a single pair of antennae.

It is approximately 2 to 4 inches in length and weighs ¼ to 7/8 ounces.

These cockroaches live in colonies of roaches of all ages and sexes.

MALES-

The male cockroaches are larger than the females.

The males have a pair of horns on their head.

LIFE CYCLE-

Madagascar hissing cockroaches have a wired way of giving birth to its young.

Females carry a cocoon-like case known as ootheca.

They carry their eggs in this ootheca and their neonatal nymphs inside their body(The nymphs are pushed outside the body by the females after they hatch.)

This gives an appearance as if she is giving birth to live young.

The roaches have a gradual metamorphosis stage, that is, development as eggs, nymphs and final adult stage.

BREEDING-

These cockroaches can breed for 2-3 years or even longer. They commonly have two-three broods a year.

COCKROACHES AS PETS-

Madagascar hissing cockroaches can prove to be great pets. Unlike the other cockroaches, these cockroaches do not infest human habitats and are not pests. They survive on the jungle floors hiding under the leaves, logs and rocks. They are active during the night as these are nocturnal creatures. These scavengers do not bite and an easy to care for pet. They slowly walk on your hand and do not harm you in any way. You can even train your roach to run a maze or step on a lever. During the active period, use food or water and train him to do such simple tricks. (from [LINK])

They are one of the largest cockroach reaching 5-7.5 cm at maturity. They are wingless unlike the others.They are good at climbing at smooth glass. Males are bigger than the females. There babies are called nymphs. Females carry the ootheca (egg case) then release the small nymphs.They live to about 5 five years and eat vegetable material.

they can hiss, they are the largest breed of cockroach, the females antenna are bushier than the male.

This week were learning about COCKroaches! The Madagascar Hissing Cockroach is one of the largest species of cockroach, reaching 5-7.5cm at maturity. You can usually find them in rotting logs, and unlike other cockroaches they are wingless. They are excellent climbers and can scale smooth glass.

madagasscar hissing cockroachs can be found in rotting logs. they dont have wings unlike most cockroaches. they get there name because they can push gas though there mouth. you can tell the difference beteew male and female is males have a horn like sturcture on there head females dont. that is what ive learned about cockroaches sofar.

Article posted June 6, 2012 at 07:07 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 96

Facts about madagascar hissing cockroaches

1. They perfer dark instead of life.

2. They like to hide under things.

3. They hiss

4. They can bite

5. They make a popping sound when you step on them

I learned that The madagascar cockroaches can live up to 5 years. They are known as hissing cockroaches because They are capable of breathing through their pores. There hiss comes in 3 forms. They have the disturbance hiss, the female-attracting hiss and the fighting hiss. Also, the hissing cockroaches are wingless. They can grow up to 5-7.5 inches long and they are ugly.

the madagasgar hissing cockroach is a really good climber and they are wingless and u can tell the diffrent between the male and female cause of the thicker and hairier

-reaching 5–7.5 cm at maturity

-Unlike most cockroaches, they are wingless

-Females carry the oothea (egg case) internally, and release the young nymphs only after the eggs have hatched. 

Madagascar hissing cockroaches are shiny brown and oval shaped.  They have no wings and have 1 pair of antennae.  Madagascar cockroaches are not the kind of cockroaches you find in your house.  They live on forest floors and hide amidst leaves, logs and more.  At night they be more Active and scavenge for food.  Males grow large horns in which they use to fight other roaches.  They hiss during fighting and the winner usually hisses more than the loser.  They also use hissing for mating.  They exhale air through their breathing holes to make the hissing.  A female beetle gives of a special scent to attract a male.  The male circles the female, hissing and touching her antennae.  If the female is receptive she will crawl over the makes abdomen dragging hers over his.  The male thrusts the tip of his abdomen to the tip of hers. The two position themselves rear to rear.  fter they seperate the female stores fertilized eggs in her ootheca.

Did you know that the Madagascar hissing cockroach is native only to Madagascar? They can grow up to 3-4 inches and the males are very territorial and will fight each other like goats do. Their average life span is 2-3 years. Females only breed once in a lifetime but can have up to 3 litters annually. Their babies are called nymphs. The roaches have 6 sticky feet that they cruise around on.

Did you know that madagascar hissing cockroaches are native only to the island of madagascar. If you see them anywhere else someone brought them there. Also males are territorial, tey wil fight any intruders. they fight by butting heads. female hissing cockroaches only bread once in a lifetimes.and they grow 3-4 inches in length. baby mhc are the length of a small watermelon seed.

Gromphadorhina Portentosa also known as Madagascar Hissing Cockroach is one of the largest species of cockroach. they are able to make the hissing noise by forcing gas through there breathing pores. madagascar hissing cockroach can be kept as exotic pets.

The Madagascar hissing cockroach is also known as the hisser. It is one of the largest species of cockroaches, it ranges from 5 to 7 centimeters. They don't have wings which is odd for a cockroach. It is an excellent climber though and can scale glass. GLASS! That's pretty cool. They can make a hissing noise by pushing out air through their abdomen. That's where the name Madagascar hissing cockroach came from, it's native to Madagascar. The female has a smooth shell while the males shell has bumps or ridges on the first part.

Did you know that cockroachs can survive in more radiation than we humans can. They can also fly if they have wings but it depends on the type.

Madagascar hissing cockroaches are brown and oval shaped. Males have large horns used for battles with horned and antlered mammals. They ram one another with their horns and they hiss, winning hussars win more then losing hissers. Hissing is also part of the cockroaches ritual. Mch's Grow 3-4 inches in length. They live on the forest floor and keep it clean.

MHC can grow up to 4 inches

They have 6 legs and two antennae

They can Mate multiple times.

They can scare people in particular girls who will scream and run.

The madagascar breed is one of thelargest and can grow up to 7cm long. unlike most they are wingless. they are very good climbers and can live upto 5 years. females are smooth and the males have small ridges to show their gender.

One fact is that they eat fallen fruit and Decaying organic matter. It posses horns and is wingless. They hiss when disturbed or alarmed. They make the hissing sound by pushing out air through slits in the abdomen. They grow up to three inches. Female cockroaches dont lay eggs they give birth to live babies. They product as many as 60 nymphs

The Madagascar hissing cockroach or Gromphadorhina Portentosa is one of the largest species of cockroach growing up to 5-7.5 inches by maturity. They can be found in the wild in rotting logs on the island of Madagascar off the African coast. These roaches are wingless unlike the others and have the ability to climb smooth glass. You can distinguish males from females by their antennae which is bushier on males, males also have horns on their pronotum. In captivity they live roughly 5 years and enjoy veggies and high protein pellets like dog food. The hissing sound is produced by their ability to force gas through their breathing pores.They only hiss when disturbed,fighting,or attracting females.

These roaches have been used in several t.v. shows including americas next top model where the ladies walked decorated roaches on leashes down a runway.

Random facts about Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches:

Their scientific name is Gromphadorhina portentosa

They live mainly in Madagascar

Males have large horns which they use to ram other males

Their hissing sound is part of their mating ritual and also serves as an effective warning call

They make their sound from exhaling through breathing holes instead of using vibrating membranes like most insects

Contrary to common belief, Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches are not pests and don't live in dwellings where people live. They actually live on the forest floor!

Cockroaches are somewhat active during the day, but are the most active during the night.

Madagascar hissing cockroaches are wingless and get their name from their ability to compress air out of their abdomen to create a hissing sound. They like to live on the floor of Tropical forests ne'er river banks. These cockroaches are brown and oval shaped. Males have large horns which they use in aggressive encounters.

Are gross. Very gross. They scare me so bad. And are ugly. Here are some revolting facts: They are only native to Madagascar. Which is why Americans are disgusting for bringing them here...Baby Madagascar cockroaches are called nymphs. Their feet are sticky. They only live 2-3 years. I hate cockroaches.