My Blog!-

The Madagascar hissing cockroach is also known as the hisser. It is one of the largest species of cockroaches, it ranges from 5 to 7 centimeters. They don't have wings which is odd for a cockroach. It is an excellent climber though and can scale glass. GLASS! That's pretty cool. They can make a hissing noise by pushing out air through their abdomen. That's where the name Madagascar hissing cockroach came from, it's native to Madagascar. The female has a smooth shell while the males shell has bumps or ridges on the first part.

Article posted June 5, 2012 at 05:18 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 37

What do I know about cockroaches? I know that they can survive for SIX weeks without their heads! That's so disturbing. I also know they don't need to eat everyday. They can survive incredible amounts of radiation. It's crazy what cockroaches have survived. I want to know what they like to eat more, do they like fruit? Vegtables? Or do they eat meat? Can they survive in the cold harsh environment in Washington? Im not sure.

I did an experiment to see what food snails prefer. Peanut butter, or cheese. I thought that the snails would prefer the peanut butter over the cheese. On the first day, both of our snails chose the peanut butter over the cheese. We had a box with a divider for each snail. On each side we put a slice of cheese and a glob of peanut butter. They both went towards the cheese the turned around and ate the peanut butter. On day two, the snails also preferred the peanut butter, they went straight towards it. On day three, the last day we collected evidence, snail 1 ate some cheese but left and ate peanut butter, our other snail, snail 2 ate only peanut butter. This shows that overall, the snails prefer peanut butter over the cheese. We did have some inaccuracies, the peanut butter that we used was 2 months expired, but, hey, I didn't know.. We did use the same snails every time. At first, we used grass as bedding for the snails, but they ate that, so we had to take that out. In conclusion, snails like peanut butter WAY better than cheese.

Article posted April 17, 2012 at 05:19 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 40

Did you know that volcanic ash helps plants grow? I learned that! I did an expirement to compare the growth between radishes when grow in soil and soil with volcanic ash. Ash has a lot of nutrience in it and it also holds water. When lava destroys plants, or when the ash sufficates it, it takes up all the nutrience. I did an expirement to see hoe volcanic ash effects the growth of raddishes. I studied the plant growth for one week. The end result was with only soilm the plant only grew to be ten centimeters. With volcanic ash I found out that it grew better. The raddishes grew to be 12.5 centimeters. That's a difference. All in all, I learned that volcanic ash does help plant growth, but, if there is too much ash, over 4 inches, it can poison the plant and anyone who eats it.

Works Cited

"Effect of Volcanoes." ThinkQuest. Oracle Foundation. Web. 20 Mar. 2012. http://library.thinkquest.org/06aug/00886/index_files/Page307.htm.

"Effect of Volcanoes." ThinkQuest. Oracle Foundation. Web. 24 Apr. 2012. http://library.thinkquest.org/06aug/00886/index_files/Page307.htm.

"Volcanic Ash—Effects on Agriculture and Mitigation Strategies." Volcanic Ash—Effects on Agriculture and Mitigation Strategies. 3 Feb. 2009. Web. 24 Mar. 2012. http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/ash/agric/index.html.

I made a pretend lunch. My lunch had lays potato chips, Milk, Bell Peppers, Whole Wheat Bread, Hamburger Meat, and Apples. All of these came fro different places in the U.S, I'm organic so I picks things grown in Washington, it took 1,628 miles to get from different place in Washington to our grocery stor for my lunch. When we convert that to carbon dioxide, it was 6,028.6 ponds of co2!! One pound of co2 can fill a whole classroom. That's one pound. We converted our carbon dioxide to elephants, for those of you who can't picture 6,000 classrooms full of co2, we created .6 carbon elephants with our lunch. To get this, find out where your lunch came from, find the miles, multiply the miles by 3.7 to get the co2 and then divide the co2 by 10,000 to get how many carbon elephants your lunch cost you!! How many carbon elephants did you create?

We learned about genetics. You get do inang and ressesive traits from eithere of your parents. If you had two blonde and blue eyes parents they would come out like the picture in the link below. (:

http://educatoral.com/rm604/images/per3/g10/jonnas.jpg

Article posted February 10, 2012 at 06:02 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 38

We did an expirement. We had to  swab different surfaces, we swabbed the gym door, the toilet seat, the toilet flusher and the gum under the table. We put it in a petri dish to grow the bacteria, here's what we found!

The gym door handle has the most bacteria out of the toilet seat, flusher, and gum under the table. The toilet seat had absolutely no colonies of bacteria growing on the agar. The toilet flusher had one large colony. The gum underneath our table grew three colonies of bacteria. The gym doors had over 20 colonies and two gigantic colonies. Most of the colonies were the size of a “.” some were the size of a “o” and the largest one was about twice the size of an “O”. One of our inaccuracies was  contamination. In our gum under the table, there is bacteria growing away from where we swabbed, it was a contamination. In conclusion, if you go to Chimacum schools, I suggest that you was your hands after touching the doors.

These are our parameciums. They swam around and ate yeast(: Check it ou!

This is a hilarious video of our amoeba!! Bear with me and watch it, its starts slow but is really cool(:

Our amoeba look like seagull poo. I time lapsed the video, it took me almost an hour. By speeding up the video, you can see what we noramlly cant. If you stare at the amoeba, it seems like you cannot relize they are moving, but, they do!!

My name is Jonna I'm 13. I'm in eight grade and I'm only 4'9". Pretty short huh? I'm also one of the smartest blondes you will ever meet(: I play Halo:Reach and sometimes COD:Black Ops. I also play Xbox Live. Sh0ck eN Aw3. I play volleyball. I've been to the state capitol to pass a bill to get more music funding to all schools in Washington State through a special license plate purchase. Well, that's me! Check out the girl! Her eyes follow your mouse(: