Welcome to DEIDRAS BLOG-

While experimenting with Cockroaches I found out they like to hide from people. They went to the grass and eaqual amount of times as they went to the dirt. We had troubled seeing if they wanted to run from us or they really just want to go to one or the other areas.

I have not really heard anything about cockroaches but I have heard they are nasty and mean. If I had one as a pet I would kill it. I want to know if they can really live through a nuclear explosion.

Odyssey at Camp David Jr. on Lake Cresent was a lot of fun! We got to spend time with friends and learn more about your class mates. My favorite part was probably the time on Thursday when we all got to jump in the lake and the sun finally came out. I was one of the kids who did not want to go and I thought I was going to have a terrible time, but it was a lot better then I expected. I got to have fun with my class and have fun with the counselors. All together Odyssey was not that bad!

I know Snails...

Move slow, they die with salt, they are hermifrodites.

I want to know...

Why they die with salt and what food do they prefer? 

Article posted February 6, 2012 at 08:02 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 44

The sink nob has the most bacteria on it. My evidence is it has the biggest mark in the triangle. Maybe we did not swab the flusher enough and that is why there is no bacteria. I would think that would be one of the dirtiest places in the school and it did not grow anything. We must have done something wrong there. There is white dots in some of the places. I don't want to touch too much stuff at school. I want to wash my hands so much! I really enjoyed this experiment because it taught me to be more carefull in the gross dirty areas. 

Article posted December 7, 2011 at 08:27 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 42

Here is my movie about Amoeba on time-laps.(:

Well if the you are using the microscope I can tell how much it's magnified by the lens objective. It says how much it is magnified on there. When I look for something under e microscope I put it under and I adjust the corse focus first, then once I have that looking pretty good then I adjust the fine focus. The fine focus takes the longest to adjust but it always turns out working out. A dry mount is when the object you are looking at is dry and a wet mount is when the object you are looking at is wet. The field of vision is what you see in the microscope. Some times the field of vision is bigger then other times depending on how much magnification you are using. Focal plane is when you focus on one pSart of an object. The two different microscopes we use have two different ways you move the microscope slides to see the object correctly. On the normal microscope you move left to go right, up to go down kind of thing and everything is upside down. If you are using the digital microscope everything is normal. Right to go right, up to go up. Microscopes are very fun to use! Do you enjoy them??

Since last time we experimented with brine shrimp we got some weird results so we decided to try a new experiment. We put brine shrimp in test tubes full of sugar water, sprite, clean water, salt water and lemon water and put the vials under a heat lamp. Brine shrimp can hatch in many different liquids but only in a few they can live we found out. The brine shrimp hatched in all the liquids but only lived over the whole period of time in salt water and sugar water. We were all so happy that they hatched in the salt water because we have been trying to do this for a while now. Our evidence is we put the little eggs under the microscope and looked to find life such as empty eggs and the shrimp swimming or just staying in one spot but out of the egg. We found is the second day in every liquid but the third day we only found them still swimming in two. Some of the error we had is that we could not get the exact same amount if eggs in each, we also could not get the exact same amount of liquid in each vial. I observed some if the live brine shrimp moving and swimming around. I got to see a few of the shrimp come out of the eggs. That helps me to know that there was living brine shrimp. I understand now that the shrimp need their own environment to live in. When we did the experiment with the brine shrimp and did not put it under the heat lamp we dud nit get any to hatch in anything but sugar water but once we put it under the lamp more hatched. I still don't understand why the eggs could hatch in different environments and how they only sometimes hatch in salt water. I think it's odd how they don't hatch in their natural environment.

We did an experiment in class where we had three different liquids, fresh water salt water and sugar water. We had the same five subtances in all three liquids, red sand, yeast, polyacrylate, radish and brine shrimp (sea monkeys.) In all the different enviroments something different happened in each one. The environment affects organisms because if an organisim is not in a right environment it won't survive. When we put sea monkeys in salt water and fresh water they didn't hatch but in the sugar water they hatched. The fresh water must have been too clean but it is still really weird that they didn't hatch in the salt water. The reason some things don't look living when you first get them but later they are is because sometimes it is too small. The sea monkeys just looked like sand but when we looked close we saw that the sea monkeys were hatching. The yeast looked like a regular powder but as we got farther in the experiment we found out that yeast was also living. In liquid one (salt water) 4things did not live and one did, in liquid two (sugar water) two things did not live and three did, in liquid three (fresh water) three did not live and two did. In all three the radish sproted. That is the only one that lived in all three. Different environments can change many things about an organism such as a seed. The seed is not growing unless it has water. The seed will sprout better if it has clean pure water. It will still grow in sugar and salt water just not as much. Some things don't appear living until it is in water or in a certain environment because it needs something for it to react to.

A living thing has to be many things. To determine if something is a living thing it has to be plant animal or human. It must eat, breathe, move, grow, die, reproduce or waste. When we do work in class I use these "rules" to consider if something is living or has lived. Some things that are living that most people don't know about is a cell is living, a mushroom and potato is living. Learning about what is living and what is not actually really interesting and I enjoy it very much.