For our experiment we put rocks on one side of a bin and grass in the other side. We put a cockroach in the middle. are question was: which surface would it like better? After doing our experiment, we concluded that it liked the liked the rocks better. Our data shows that the cockroach stayed on the rocks the most for 3/4 trials. I think the cockroach preffered the rocks better because it was more appealing to the touch. It could have been some other reason though. Members of our team put their hands near it when it reached the wall which could have influenced its choice and it sat there in one spot and cleaned it's antennas, not moving.

I know that cockroaches are able to survive nuclear disasters, they are an insect, they have 6 legs, you can find them in houses sometimes, and they are usually brown. I would like to know if they can see in the dark, swim, how many senses they have, how they survive nuclear explosions, where they usually live, how long do they live, how big can they get, and how much do they usually weigh.

Madagascar hissing cockroaches are shiny brown and oval shaped.  They have no wings and have 1 pair of antennae.  Madagascar cockroaches are not the kind of cockroaches you find in your house.  They live on forest floors and hide amidst leaves, logs and more.  At night they be more Active and scavenge for food.  Males grow large horns in which they use to fight other roaches.  They hiss during fighting and the winner usually hisses more than the loser.  They also use hissing for mating.  They exhale air through their breathing holes to make the hissing.  A female beetle gives of a special scent to attract a male.  The male circles the female, hissing and touching her antennae.  If the female is receptive she will crawl over the makes abdomen dragging hers over his.  The male thrusts the tip of his abdomen to the tip of hers. The two position themselves rear to rear.  fter they seperate the female stores fertilized eggs in her ootheca.

One of the activities that enjoyed the most was the Sol Duc springs. The springs smelled like rotten eggs and it made my skin feel slimy but it was relaxing. I also liked swimming with my friends. Another activity I liked was going to the beaches. I don't remember which beach was which, but at the first beach we went to it was cold and the tide was in and there was big waves. It was fun running up to the tide and running away from the waves. I also liked getting hit by the waves. My shoes and pants got wet. The second beach was warm out. We found sand dollars and went in the water. IA so enjoyed the polar dip because it woke me up and was exhilarating.

The activity I liked the least was the hoh rainforest and the trip book work. The hoh rainforest was really interesting but we standed around and listened to stories which kindav bored me and I was really tired that day. And we did alot of tripboom work at the hoh rainforest. The trip book work was manageable but was just boring.

The activity I learned the most in was the marine science center. I learned about sea life and about different types of plankton. The octopus kills it's prey by making a bubble around it and shoots different type of poison at it, making it dissolve. Then it sucks up the animal. I learned about the differences between phytoplankton and zooplankton.

I think odyssey can be made better by giving us a little more downtime.

For our experiment we made a maze with radishes at one side and salt at the other. Our question was: which side would the snail would go to more often. We did not research anything about snails, we just started our experiment.

I know that snails are like slugs but have they have a Shell. They are slimy and have different colors and they move slowly. I would like to know how many different types of snails there are and how fast they can go. Also what do they eat?

Article posted March 1, 2012 at 08:21 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 47

Offspring from sexual reproduction are more likely to have diverse characteristics because when sexual reproduction takes place the DNA is shuffled and put in a random order, then the the cell is split in half and it repeats the process, making the characteristics more diverse. When asexual reproduction takes place it makes an exact copy so the cells will be the same.

Article posted February 9, 2012 at 07:59 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 62

I think the bathroom had the most bacteria because it had the most spots. The agar nutrient was ripped in the outside soil area, which could have affected the amount of bacteria. We noticed little brown splotches in the bathroom section. I wasn’t sure exactly why the bathroom had the most bacteria because I don’t know if the amount of spots or marks on the agar matter. What I am wondering is how you determine how much bacteria you got exactly.

From doing this lab with the microscopes i learned alot.  To tell what magnification you are using you just have to look at the dial in the middle of the microscope.  It will say 10x, 60x, or 200x.  To change it just turn the dial to the right or left.  This is for the digital microscope which you plug into the computer and view it on the screen.  To know what magnification you are using on the compound microscope look at the lens and it shows 40x, 100x, or 400x. To find something on the compound microscope you need to use the foci.(focuses). The coarse focus is used for the 40x and 100x magnifications, but when you use t he 400x magnification you need to use the fine focus for a more precise focus. On the digital microscope to find something you need to use the approproate zoom and use the nob to focus it. There are two different mounts. One mount is the dry mount which is when you put an object under the microscope and observe it. A wet mount is a object you put on a glass slide and put a few drops of water on the object and put a cover slip over it to avoid getting water on the lens. The field of vision is how much you can see though the microscope.

Our question for our experiment was: how do different amounts of sugar water affect radishes growth.  The first vial had water in it and the radishes were able to sprout.  The rest of the vials had sugar water in them and they were not able to sprout.  I think that the sugar water prevented the radishes from growing.  Our evidence for this is that all the vials with sugar water in them did not show any signs of growth.  We did not have any sources of error but in some of the vials the radishes were in the bottom of the vial which might have affected there growth.