Henry and I wanted to know how colored water would affect the color of the carnations that are in the water. Our experiment: we took two white carnations and split the stems down the middle up to about 3/4 of the way up. we then took four cups with different colored water. one had clear water, another green, and 2 cups had red. We put the two parts of one flower into the clear and red cups, and the other with red and green. we predicted that the flowers would absorb the colors and be a mix of the two colors. Our result was the flowers absorbed the water and were split down the middle in terms of color. so the red and green flower had one half red and the other half green. we found out that the process of a plant absorbing water is called cappilary action. cappilary tubes are like little straws that suck up he water and carry it throughout the plant. the tubes that hold the cappilaries are called xylems. The food coloring was absorbed with the water through the xylems and showed up in the pedals of the flower. So our experiment was successful.

Article posted April 25, 2012 at 11:20 AM • comment • Reads 51 • see all articles