This week my team and I worked on microrganisms and how to use microscopes we first looked at some feather's under microscopes we zoomed in so far we could see the individual strands on the feather it was cool. The farthest you can go on one is 40x zoom and there are two knobs that you can turn to adjust the bigger one on the top is for when you move stage up and down and to adjust the object so you can see it better.

A month ago me and my team learned how to operate a microscope. When viewing a moving specimen to move your view up move the slide down basically move the slide in the opposite direction there are also two knobs on the side of the microscope. One is for normal zooming and the other one is for fine focus. There also is a switch to turn on the light for making it easier to see the subject.

Article posted November 18, 2011 at 07:47 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 70

Me and my group were experimenting with the microscope...our science teacher mr. G gave us a feather to study as we looked at the feather under the 10x zoom each strand of the feather was like it had been curled into very small microscopic curls it is very interesting to see all the details and characteristics of a feather under a microscope. What things did u guys see when u looked at the feather?

Article posted March 30, 2012 at 09:30 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 52

my group and i were experimenting with the microscope mr.G our science teacher gave us a feather to study. when we got the feather we looked at it under 10x zoom each strand of the feather was like it haad been crimped into very small micorscopic curls it was super interesting to see what a feather looks like under a micorscope

Me and my team just learned how to use a microscope. To be able to see the experiments correctly you have to move the object the opposite way. For example, if you want the object to move up you move it down. The lens can be magnifies up to 40x. And there are two knobs that you can turn to adjust the bigger one on the top is for when you move stage up and down and to adjust the object so you can see it better. The second bottom one that have a smaller knob is called the field. You use it for the higher magnify lens like the 40x. So you can see the experiment closer and better.

The compound microscope is easier because it is not the opposite. I like that one better because it doesn't make me dizzy like the other one. However, the zooms and stuff is bad and you need the flashlight for help.

My team and I learned how to use a microscope. To move and see you experiment correctly you have to move the object the opposite way. Like if you wanted to move the object down you would have to move it up. The microscope lens magnifies up to 40 times. To find something under a microscope there are too knobs one is big and one is small. The bigger one is for moving the stage up and down so you can see the object better. The smaller one is to is the field Is the make the image clearer so you can see everything better.I thing the composite microscope is better because you don't have to move stuff opposite to adjust you experiment so you can is it. It's not as confusing and way easier.

In science we wordek with compoud microscopes which can zoom in really far. to adjust the zoom you can turn the dials on the side for small adjustmends or switch lenses. To find something under the microscope, yu start wih a wide lens and zoom in on it. If you want tomove the object, you have to move it in the opposite direction you usually wold because the micoscpe reverses he image.A drymount is something dry you put nder the microscope. A wet mount is something like water you put on alittle plate and you can cover it with a film. The field of vision is the area you can see on the microscope. Focal plane is a horizontal plane the microscope focuses on.

From doing this lab with the microscopes i learned alot.  To tell what magnification you are using you just have to look at the dial in the middle of the microscope.  It will say 10x, 60x, or 200x.  To change it just turn the dial to the right or left.  This is for the digital microscope which you plug into the computer and view it on the screen.  To know what magnification you are using on the compound microscope look at the lens and it shows 40x, 100x, or 400x. To find something on the compound microscope you need to use the foci.(focuses). The coarse focus is used for the 40x and 100x magnifications, but when you use t he 400x magnification you need to use the fine focus for a more precise focus. On the digital microscope to find something you need to use the approproate zoom and use the nob to focus it. There are two different mounts. One mount is the dry mount which is when you put an object under the microscope and observe it. A wet mount is a object you put on a glass slide and put a few drops of water on the object and put a cover slip over it to avoid getting water on the lens. The field of vision is how much you can see though the microscope.

Well if the you are using the microscope I can tell how much it's magnified by the lens objective. It says how much it is magnified on there. When I look for something under e microscope I put it under and I adjust the corse focus first, then once I have that looking pretty good then I adjust the fine focus. The fine focus takes the longest to adjust but it always turns out working out. A dry mount is when the object you are looking at is dry and a wet mount is when the object you are looking at is wet. The field of vision is what you see in the microscope. Some times the field of vision is bigger then other times depending on how much magnification you are using. Focal plane is when you focus on one pSart of an object. The two different microscopes we use have two different ways you move the microscope slides to see the object correctly. On the normal microscope you move left to go right, up to go down kind of thing and everything is upside down. If you are using the digital microscope everything is normal. Right to go right, up to go up. Microscopes are very fun to use! Do you enjoy them??

Comparing the compound microscope and the digital microscope. The digital microscope, we plug it in to the computer and the microscope pops up on the computer and we look at our paranesia or something else. The compound microscope is different from the digital microscope by, first the compounder has a viewer the digital we look at through a computer. Second the compounder can go to 400x and on the digital we can go up to 200x. Also on the digital one the thing you are studying does not pop up upside down..also on the compound microscope when you move the slide to the left it moves to the right same with up and down.

Article posted December 7, 2011 at 07:08 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 56

Earlier this week, we were able to look through the microscopes. In the non-digital microscopes, you would see things inverted. They were upside down. We looked at feathers, ribbons, and magazines through the microscopes.

If you wanted it go up, you'd move down. If you want to go left, you would move right. The magnafication of the microscopes was really cool. We could not take pictures of thi microscope because it was not digital like our other ones.

Recently we have been learning about microscopes and how to use them. I learned that our classroom has two kinds of microscopes.. The compound microscopes which have a more powerful zoom, and the digital microscopes that project the image onto the computer.Theres also this thing called the focal plane, which is the plane that is in focus. By adjusting the nob, you can bring the thing closer of farther away to change the plane that you are focusing on. Microscopes help us study objects and organisms that are unable to view from the human eye.

In class, we are using microscopes to look at single-cell organisms. On each magnifier, there is a label that has is magnification. The first one is 4x which magnifies it by 40, because it's 10 x whatever number it is. The second is 10x, which is magnified to 100, and the 3rd Is 40x, which is 400, but sometimes it's hard to see that close.

A way to find something on the microscope is to put the object at the point of the black pointer (for instance a cell) then after focussing it, you can go higher on the magnification scale and it'll stay on that object rather then magnifying something you don't want to see up close. (like clear water...)

One mount, (out of 2) -which is what you put under the microscope (a glass slide, and your substance.)-is a Dry Mount. A Dry mount, is dry, (DUH!) it is not wet, we don't add water, and if we don't add water then we usually don't need a coverslip (something to put over the wet mount so it doesn't A) scratch the lens, and B) so it doesn't get the lens wet too.) The second mount is a Wet Mount, which is when we add water, solution, ect. Or the substance we were looking at is like creek water. We would need a coverslip for this (the Wet Mount). The field view is used in the 40x magnification, it focuses way more acuretly on the substance you are looking at.

Looking in the microscope is like looking in a mirror. Everything is backwards. If u move the slip left you go right. Your move right, and the slip goes left. Up is down and down is up, not to mention that you have to put your slip under the microscope upside down because if you don't the substance or object will be upside down when you look at it.

the microscopes have 3 focuses. 10 40 and 100 times. for 100 times you have to use the fine focues to see.

For the past few weeks our science class has been using microscopes, when using a microscope you have a focal plane which is the space you can see through the microscope lens to observe the slide, when you are observing the slide you have to focus the lens so you can see it clearly through microscope no matter what magnification.

When you magnify something you must always remember that every number on the microscope is times' by ten, for example 10x would be 100 times magnification on a microscope.

When observing a slide there are two different kind of mounts you can make on a slide. A wet mount and a dry mount.

A dry mount is when the slide has no water on it, a wet mount is when the slide has water on it.

Another thing you must always remember is when you move something under the microscope it always goes the opposite of the direction you move it.

And that is how you operate a microscope well.

About one month ago my team and I learned how to use a microscopes. We looked at a handful of things but i really liked looking at the feather. we zoomed up all the to x10 and the 'feather' was super cool. The maginafiction can be up to x40. There are two knobs thingys that you can turn to adjust your view. The bigger one on top is so you can move the stage up and down. The second one on the bottom, a smaller knob is called the field. You use it to higher the lens like the 40x. Thus you can see the experiment what ever it may be closer and better.

Article posted November 30, 2011 at 08:34 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 64

My team and I are learned a lot from the microscope during experiment. If you want to look at the magnification, you can change the dial. The dials are the numbers that you can change. You can plug the digital microscope and into the computer to look at the things you want to look at close. We look at some papers, feathers, eggs and flowers.

Here is our video of paramecium eating that big red thing we are still not sure what the hundreds of little ones swimming around are. We think they might be baby paramecium.

1. How do you know how much each lens magnifies the object? You can magnify up to 100x.

2. How do you start trying to find something under the microscope? There are two knobs that you can turn to adjust the stage up and down so you can focus.

3. What is a dry mount? It's when you put something on the slide under the microscope and it's dry.

4. What is a wet mount? It's when you put something on the slide under the microscope and it's wet.

5. What is the field of vision? The area or solid angle which can be viewed through a microscope.

6. What is focal plane all about? The focal plane, or principal plane of focus, is the plane upon which the lens is actually focused.

7. How do you move things on the microscope to see them correctly? There are two knobs that you can turn to adjust the stage up and down so you can focus. You can also move the slide. But because the when you looking through a microscope everything is backwards you have to move it the opposite way. for example you have to move it right to move it left get the idea? Have fun!

For the last week or so we have been learning about microscopes and using them to see how talented we are. So how yo know how to find something under the microscope you have to do the opposite of what you wont. Like if you won't to go up you go down, if you won't to go left you go right. How you know what magnification you are at you times it by ten by what ever lens you are using. There are two only mounts you can do witch is dry mount and wet mount the differences is that one is using water at one is without using water. There is a thing called field of vision and that is how much you can see on the microscope. The farther it is way from the object you have it is a great amount of field of vision but as soon and you get coder it gets smaller. Focal Plane is about what you won't to focus one.