Plant Cells & Animal Cells!(:-

In my plant experiment I wanted to see what ash did to plants, and guess what it helped it grow! But too much ash could kill the plant. We had 7 cups numbered 0,1,2,3,4,5,&6. The cup numbered "0" had no ash, cup "1" had 1 millimeter, cup "2" had 2 millimeters, 3 had 3 and so on all the way to 6. In the end the cup with the most ash grew the most. It also grew way faster that if the plant had to ash. To conclude my project i can say ash does help plants grow!

In my class we did an experiment to pretend we had a lunch and we had to figure out how many miles our lunch traveled to get to us. The first category is drink and I chose milk. The milk we chose came from Sequim and it traveled 26.2 miles to Port Hadlock. Next category was bread and we picked whole grain bread that came from Montana to Seattle which is 720 miles then from Seattle to Port Hadlock was 48 with a total of 768. Next category was protein and we chose hamburger and it came from Tenino to Shelton which took 35.5 miles then from Shelton to Port Hadlock it took 110 miles which in total is 145.5. Next was other filling and we chose red bell pepper and it was home grown. Next was fruit and veggies and we chose apple and from Yakima valley to Seattle it was 144 miles then from Seattle to Port Hadlock it was 48 miles which in total is 192. Last was snack and we chose potato chips which were from Grant County WA to Vancouver WA and that is 295 then Vancouver to Olympia is 105 Olympia to hadock was 97 miles which total was 497. The total miles was 1628.5 and the total for the whole meal which 6028 pounds of carbon it produced.

Here is my glog about myself!

Article posted February 6, 2012 at 06:06 PM GMT • comment (5) • Reads 659

The gym door handle had the most bacteria. My question was which surface had the most bacteria. I predicted the toilet seat but it was the door handle which had an explosionof bacteria. I think the toilet seat is inaccurate becayse it had no bacteria and it even was used . I also did the toilet handle and gum under the table. The toilet handle only had one dot of bacteria and the gum had 3. And tothis conclusion don't forget to wash your hands to protect yourelf and others.

Article posted January 30, 2012 at 06:11 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 505

Mitosis refers to a division of cells. Meiosis on the other hand refers to the division of gametes(sperm or an egg). So it goes diploid to haploid. The difference between Mitosis and Meiosis is that Meiosis is a sexual reproduction of cells and Mitosis is not.

Meiosis is a special type of cell that make gametes with half as many chromosomes. A gamete is a sexual product. The opposite process would be syngamy or fertalization, a new and very different organism that has unique genetic information different from either parent is made. The sygote divides and grown to form an embryo which turns into a young organism.

Mitosis is where chromosomes are copied and split. It starts with prophase. Prophase is when the DNA duplicates. They became exactly the same like a clone. Then theres metophase which is when the DNA duplicates and face eachother. On the opposite sides. Anaphase is next and is when the daughter chromosomes move away from eachother to opposite sides of the cell. Last is telephase and thats where all cells seperate and form nuclei.

Article posted January 6, 2012 at 06:27 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 3294

Plant cells and animal cells have a lot of things in common like: Cytoplasm, Cytoskeleton, Endoplasmic Reticulum, Golgi Apparatus, Mitochondria, Nucleus, Peroxisomes, Plasma Membranes, Ribosomes. But they also have differences like: plant cells have Cell Walls, Chloroplasts and Vacuole and animals cells don't. Also, animal cells have Centrioles, Flagellum and Lysosomes and plant cells don't.

Me and my partner Hadlei got an Elodea sample to see if we could find any but our sample was infested with Paramecium! There was so much and when i went to look over our video I didnt really see any Elodea although my teacher got e video of Elodea moving i did not! But look at my video and see how much Paramecium there is!

These are pictures of Paramecium they are swimming around in water this is evidence that they are living! Me and my class had a vial full of them and we used an microscope and studied them watching them move also watching them eat! What my teacher Mr. Gonzalez did was die the yeast that they eat red and put it with the Paramecium. To see if they ate the yeast we looked to see if they had red on them. There was a problem that some of the water absorbed the red die so it was kind of red but if we looked good enough we saw that they did eat some! Watch this video and see for yourself(I'm sorry the video taker i used speeds it up so pause or slow the video down if you want).

Paramecium!

Article posted November 4, 2011 at 06:18 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 377

Me and my partner hadlei asked the question "How does the liquid affect the yeast?" and our answer is the the sugar water is the only one that affected the yeast by making the balloon blow up and it measured 6 inches around and then on the least day it shrunk a little from deflation and it shrunk down to 4.75 inches and the all started at 4.5 inches. Our evidence is we checked everyday for change and vial e is the only one that blew up a little it started at 4.5 inches then blew up to 6 inches then shrank to 4.75 inches. Inaccuracies or sources of error are the balloons were not sealed so it let gasses out. Observations are there was no change for vial a,b,c and d but vial e grew on the second day and shrunk on the last day. I understood that out of all our liquids vial e only made the balloon blow up. A pertinent question would be why did only sugar water make the balloon blow up?

An environment affects organisms because if it is in salt water it will not grow but what my class found out that it grow at the same speed and only the radish grew and the brine hatched that was the only living things and they didn't make progress in salt water they just died. My group had sugars water and the brine appeared alive because I watched it hatch and the radish appeared alive because every time my group checked on it it had sprouted more.

What I would define living is something that can breathe or that grows old. Another way I would describe something that's living is something that can die.

This is my video on the Amazon!

Article posted April 27, 2010 at 04:28 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 38

By: TaylorC

To charge a battery it first has to transfer from something called stored energy and when it moves it is called kinetic energy and it transfers into the battery and it is called the battery charging cycle.

Click here

To see my awesome wiki!

Article posted January 8, 2010 at 10:58 PM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 54

My class and I went down to the Grange with two ladies and their names were Sara and Kye. They were really nice and they let us use their gloves that they brought for us.  We went down closer to the weeds that were at the Grange and we pulled out roots that were to the sticker bushes also, my class and I pulled huge roots and small roots and they all were either really hard or kind of hard even some of the small ones. It was really cold outside and it was raining so by the time we got back we all were wet.

Thanks for reading my blog,

Taylor

Article posted October 31, 2009 at 02:12 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 79

Mt. Saint Helens will eventually grow back its lava dome. It is constantley errupting rebuilding its base. The composite volcanoes are also called strato volcanoes and are formed by layers of rock. The shield volcanoe is often shallow slopes at sides and is made from fluid lava. Cinder cones are steep conical hills that build down from a volcanic vent. Block lava moves slowly and are stronger and thicker. Pahoehoe lava is thin sheets of lava and are smooth fast flowing and thick. Aa lava flow is rough and animated with burst of energy.

Article posted October 31, 2009 at 01:44 AM GMT • comment • Reads 56

At Cispus my grade and I would go on hikes, it was for all the 6th graders in my school and my grade went on a couple of hikes like we hiked to Angel falls which was very steep and was kind of long and some went on a hike to a pond and others like my group and I went to Yellow Jacket Creek. We also split up into groups and we name our groups my group was called the Tree hugging mountain slugs. We had contests but the most fun is we had to put on a play and porform it on a stage. We also had to do something called the challenge course and it tought us to trust the people in our groups. There was also where we had breakfast, lunch and dinner and we would sit at a bunch of different tables with our groups and eat and we would earn beads for every good thing we would do and if we had manners at the tables where we ate. We would have cabins and there would be 2 big ones for the girls and 2 big ones for the boy and the counslers would get there own room in each cabin and they would be in charge. The teachers would get there own cabins so they would not have to be with the kids and there were showers and you were assigned to a cabin you could not pick which one you wanted to be in.

Thanks for reading my blog,

Taylor

Article posted October 31, 2009 at 12:58 AM GMT • comment (5) • Reads 786

1. I have one brother who is eight years old and no sisters.

2. I ride a four-wheeler at the sand dunes a lot. I really like it, its a lot of fun.

3. I have brown eyes and brown hair.

4. My birthday is March 27 and I was born in 1998 at University of Washington in Seatlle, WA.

5.I dont have a favorite movie.

6. My favorite colors are light pink!!

7. When I grow up I want to go to the Univeristy of Washington.