Copyright (c) 2014 by N Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
N -- Blogmeister

2009-2010

by N

teacher: Mr. Edwards

Title: The Grove (12/02/09)
Description: Today we went to the Grove and visited a one room school house. What did you think? What did you like the best? Share your experience.

Today we visted a one room school house. It was built over 150 years ago. The students took on new names and traveled back into time. Read about their experiences. They've shared them on our blog. It was a great time.

How would school be 150 years ago, than from today? Well I can't tell you right away we have to learn together. First of all I have to tell you live in the past and have come to the future to be here with you. I'm Katinka Suesen and you are? Viola really I sit next to a girl named Viola. Lets get started. School is hard where I live because we get the worst punishments if we talk when we shouldn't or don't sit up straight or laugh at someone who is getting a punishment. You don't have physical punishments at your school. Well punishments are scary like if you are a girl you sometimes get hung by your hair. You know about coat hangers right. Well they take your hair and hang it on one of the hangers. I saw my friend Eliza Mea get hung by her hair. You could also get soap in your mouth and trust me it tastes horrible because just last week I forgot to sit up so I was slouching and the teacher put soap in my mouth and thats made of animal fat. Make sure you never ever get punished if you come into the past. Thats some of the punishments we have in the past.

What you ask, was it like to go to school in the year 1862?  Come now, I will show you.  Now, close your eyes, travel in time to about 150 years ago.  You are waking up and walking about a MILE to school.  Now, you are entering the building at 7:00 am and staying until 4:30 pm.  You are now probebly  sitting down in your two people wooden desk.  Now... the teacher is asking a question, is she?  Yes she is, she is asking what the sum of 70+30 is?  You are raising your hand, she calls your name, now WAIT!  What you would normally do is say 100.  Right?  Yes you would, but not in the year 1862 you wouldn't.  You would stand up and say... the sum to the problem is 100 Miss Wilt (if that's your teacher's name)  Now what you would normally do is sit down, but not in this time period, you would stay standing uo until the teacher tells you to sit down, after she tells you to sit down you curtsey as a girl of bow as a boy you then say thank you miss Wilt and sit down.  Much different, isn't it?                       

The school house that you are in is VERY small.  It is only one room.  And that ONE ROOM holds grades first through eighth.  On one side of the room would be the girls and on the other side would be the boys.  They were on different sides of the room to be seperated.  Why are they seperated you may ask, well, you have to remember that this was back in 1862 an that answer is beoyned my reach.  Remember that you were sharing a desk with another student and if you didn't get along with your deskmate you would be moved next to a student of opposite gender. 

Now, let's say that you are giggling and whispering to your deskmate.  The teacher DOES NOT like that at all infact, you get punished for it.  Your punishment would be to sniff the blackboard.  What would happen is that the teacher would draw a circle on the blackboard.  You would be told to come up to the front of the classroom and press your nose up agenst the blackboard until you have learned your lesson.  There are a lot more punishments but right now I will only list one more.  Pretend that you are talking when you arn't supossed to.  The teacher could make you come up to the blackboard and write "I will not talk"  50-100 times. 

Now, although you would probly like to learn more about what school was like in 1862, I am sad to tell you that we are out of time so...

BACK TO 2009=http://=http://

I know. How is school different then one hundred years ago. Not a lot of people think it is different. But it is there is punishments not like working at lurch but harsh punishments. Difficult, how ever it is fun but the bad part punishments.

There is punishments for innocent little kids. No being rowdy for them. Or else a punishment for being naughty. I always have late homework but then If i did a punishment for me it is called dunce you sit on a chair with a cone on your head people think it sucks smartness into your head. it is worse then you  think you get all the stuff you did in school as homework.Try living in that world nothing but hardness I would hate it!! would you ????

Article posted December 2, 2009 at 08:01 PM GMT0 • comment (5) • Reads 72

The Grove was a school 150 years ago in 1862. I like the Grove because there was punishment because for the boys had to get hit on the nunckels or in the reer end and for the girls got hit on the pam for both girls and boys they had to put there nose in the circle.

The Grove had quill pens insed of pencil and pen. The quill pens were hard to write with it they had to dip the quill pen in the ink every one letter in the letter.

I like the Grove because they had toy they had diffrent toys then us I liked the baseball bat with something that you had to step on so the baseball comes up and then you can hit the ball as far as you wan't.

Darius

Hey folks! Have you ever wondered what school was like in 1862? Almost every single material was different. The punishments and the quill and ink are the things I am interested in.

The punishments were painful. Back then teachers could harm children like hit them with a ruler. How rude! Also, there is a hat called the dunce cap which you wear and do late homework in.

The second old thing is the quill and the ink. They used them because people didn't have pencils back then. It was just like when Harry Potter and his friends use quills. In my opinion, quills are cool to use but I think that pens are way better because you don't have to dip a quill in ink every couple seconds. That is my second reason.

Have you listened to me? I hope you have because I am tired of typing all this. So those are only two reasons. But you should always remember. Life was much different in 1862.

Today we went to the Grove. it was fun my old persons name was seymour peachblossom.

One of the different things about 150 years ago from today was that the kids wrote with a quill pen. we tried it. But I wasn't the best. the teacher told us it would take 4 dips for just one letter. She wasn't write. We had a choice to write a letter to people I wrote a letter to abraham lincoln. The date back then was december 2nd,1862. Another different thing was the small room. Guess how many grades their was in that room? Kindergarten through 8th grade and you would think 150 years ago would have been cold it was warmer than in my classroom. their was a huge fire in the middle of the room it was hot.

Today we went to the grove for a field trip.I have two big reasons that i liked the grove. the first reason is the quilt pen. and the seconed reason is the punishmints the kids had to take.

The quil pen was hard to write with, because you had to put the quilt into the ink. and for each word you mostely had to put the quil into the ink three times. it was a lot of fun writing with the quilt. that is why i liked the quilt.

The punishmints were not fun at all because some of them were painful. like the one you had to strech your arms as long as you can. then the teacher would put heavy books on your hand and you can feel your mucel burn like crazy. you can feel your arms screaming and when you were done they feelt sore.

that is why i liked the field trip.

Hi, I'm Hildegard Hodgrass. I go to school in the pioneer time.  Today, is December 2, 1862.  We wrote with quill pens to our families or to President Abraham Lincoln.  A problem with using quills was that it was irritating to have to dip your quill into the ink 2 times just to write successfully 3 sentences on a piece of paper.  It was also hard to interact with others because you can't talk during class.  It's a privalege to be in school, you know.  Recess is only 5 minutes, so I only have 5 minutes to interact and chat with Effie (Ellen) and Mercy (Kate) and Jurusha (Nina).  There is a game called Hacky Sack Baseball.  You step  on a lever and the ball shoots up and you hit it with a mallet.  This time is really different from the time my great, great, great, great, great grandmother, Emily said on her trip back in time.  The only really good thing about my time is that I get to go first, since the new rule "Ladies First".  I love my job as a General Store Keeper.  This is fun.