Copyright (c) 2014 by B Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
B -- Blogmeister

2009-2010

by B

teacher: Mr. Edwards

Title: Graue Mill (10/16/09)
Description: How was your visit to Graue Mill? Share your thoughts and write about our field trip to Graue Mill. Write about what you learned on one of the floors. Each floor provided a different insight into history. They spoke about underground rilroad, the mill itself, how they used flax, and life 150 years ago. Use a picture to reinforce your writing.

Article posted October 16, 2009 at 07:45 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 144

On October 15th my clone went to the Graue Mill with my class but she told me everything so here it goes.

inside the Graue Mill is the basement. The basement is old and noisy. It is noisy because the gears in the basement are turning round and round. In the basement there are three benches in a row. There is some history behind the Graue Mill basement that my clone has informed me of so here it goes. Many years ago during the time when the slaves where running away for freedom, the Graue Mill basement was a place that the runaway slaves could stop, sleep and eat.

That is basically all that my clone told me about Graue mill so I Guess we're done here!

Article posted October 16, 2009 at 07:46 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 91

I, personally, think that the Graue Mill is a very neat place. It showed me so many historical things that, in some places, I felt as if I was really back 150 years ago. One of my favorite floors in the mill museum was the first. On the first floor, the "miller" told us all about the different ways of grinding corn, wheat, buckwheat and oats. There were four different machines or tools to grind grain. I will tell you about two of them. Here's one: You need two relatively flat stones (one large and one small), and whatever you want to grind. You set the large stone on a flat surface, put the grain on top of it and rub the other stone back and forth over it. Here is the second machine: This machine is an immense one. You feed corn into it, push a button and this device grinds the corn and then, when it looks like fine grains of cornmeal, the corn grinder spits it out. What interesting ways to grind grain! That is just the first floor of the Graue Mill and Museum. It is both educational and fun. You should visit it sometime!

Article posted October 16, 2009 at 07:46 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 52

On October 15, 2009, classroom #304 and all other fourth graders of Greenbriar went to a field trip to the Graue Mill.

In the basement we learned about the Underground Railroad which didn't have cars, or trains, it had African American people trying to escape from slavery and the leader was Hariott Tubman. The Graue MIll was one of the stops in the Underground Railroad. 

On the first floor we learned about how they made food like corn. We got to scrape, grind and take all of the corn off by turn of a handle. It was cool, although I didn't get to try.

On the second floor, we learned about how they made their clothes. A facinating fact is that they only get one pair of clothes every year. THAT'S 365 DAYS!!!

On the third and last floor we learned that they were VERY efficent about EVERYTHING! They even shared bath water!!!

THE GRAUE MILL

Article posted October 16, 2009 at 07:46 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 44

Walking in the mill was like walking on frogs Because creaking  and rattling noises echoed in the 150 year old building . Did you know that Abraham lincoln walked in the old mill? 

It was amazing old horse tack [saddles &bridles all that stuff ] well only floor two . that is my favorite floor . It was kind of a garage because they fixed stuff in there 100's of years ago. There allso was a old wagon that was puuled with horses. One part of the floor was had old clothing. Did you know that they only got one pice of clothing a whole year. there clothing was made by ladys in your famly. Every thing was sewed .The Graue mill is so cool. I love the Gruae mill .By Natalie

When we went on a field trip to the Graue mill. The mill had four floor I like the main floor. It had a corn grander on it. I coudent belive that you just but corn in it and press the button and it will go. Then you can eat it for cornbread and for food. The Graue mill was exicted I hope you have a chances to go there.

Article posted October 16, 2009 at 08:12 PM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 45

Listen. Do you hear the gears rumbling? That is what we heard on our field trip to Graue Mill, a 150 year old mill.

The gears I was talking about made electricity by making the mill move but now it's just is for decoration. My favorite floor was the third floor because it was like a museum of old history. It had a children's bedroom, an adult's bedroom and a kitchen. This may sound weird but the kitchen had a bathtub in it. When they took a bath they never changed the water until everyone had a bath. You probably don't want to hear anymore about this so I will tell you about the second floor.

The second floor had a loom, horse carriages, a lot scythes on a rack and a dress-up area. The first floor had a gift shop and a place where they ground wheat, corn, black wheat, and flax. It was so cool.

Finally! We are down to the basement. There is the rumbling sound again, but louder now. There are old pictures of slaves and old pieces of writing. This is where the big old gears I was talking about are. These are all the floors at the Graue Mill and all of my feild trip.

That was the best field trip in fourth grade and I hope you get to go to.

Article posted October 17, 2009 at 07:15 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 52

When I went to the Mill, I definitely liked the fourth floor the best because it was the most interesting. The reason it was interesting was it told more about that timeperiod. They took their baths in the kitchen! It was definitely a harder life.

If I were in that life, it would be really hard. I would pull through though. It might be fun to sew, that’s one thing. Did you know that if one person outgrew their clothes, they passed them down and down and down until there were no more kids to pass them down to. Then they would tear up the cloth and use it around the house. For example they made washcloths and dishrags out of the clothes. It was a way different life from ours!

On October 15th, 2009, I had my first 4th grade field trip. The entire 4th grade went to a 150 year old place called Graue Mill . It's a mill that was once a graining process place and turned into a mill. I'm supposed to tell you about my favorite floor, so here goes. I'm going to tell you about the basement.

The basement has 2 reasons why I think it is interesting. 1 is that the basement was actually part of the Underground Railroad. I had plenty of questions. How did the slaves hide? There was no good hiding place. How did they sleep? The floor was cold, hard and bumpy. Were there any other uses other then the Underground Railroad and the gears(see next paragraph)? For that question I kinda guessed storage, but there could be other uses. Anyway, let's move on.

The second reason why the basement is so interesting is how the gears move in tempo. It is very interesting. The gears power most of the place. I wonder how they built it. That is why I thought the gears were interesting.

I liked the mill. But the basement was the best. In my opinion. A lot of other people may have other opinions, but this is mine.

Article posted October 19, 2009 at 02:58 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 44

Field trip

On October,15,2009 all the fourth grade classes in Greenbriar school went to Guare mill. I have 3 facts about the field trip I will start with number 1. My favorite part of the first floor was the corn grinder because I liked that the corn shot out to the bucket. Then the farmer showed us the shred corn. That is why I liked the first floor. My favorite part of the basement was the wooden gears because it was loud and big. Also, Abraham Lincoln had been in that basement! The coolest part of the field trip is the water wheel.It was cool watching the the water passing by us. That is what I liked about our field trip.

On a field trip the fourth graders at Greenbriar school were going on a field trip to Graue mill. It used to be were somebody lived but now it is just a muesem. One of the floors we learned how Mr.Graue (the person who owened and worked at Graue mill) grouned up corn and other kinds of grain. back then they did not have electricity so most of their work they had to do by hand. Rocks were really popular to people who work at mills beacuse that is how people grianded their corn or other kinds of grain. One person got to try to grind the corn with two rocks.