Copyright (c) 2014 by E Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
E -- Blogmeister

2009-2010

by E

teacher: Mr. Edwards

I, personally, think that the Graue Mill is a very neat place. It showed me so many historical things that, in some places, I felt as if I was really back 150 years ago. One of my favorite floors in the mill museum was the first. On the first floor, the "miller" told us all about the different ways of grinding corn, wheat, buckwheat and oats. There were four different machines or tools to grind grain. I will tell you about two of them. Here's one: You need two relatively flat stones (one large and one small), and whatever you want to grind. You set the large stone on a flat surface, put the grain on top of it and rub the other stone back and forth over it. Here is the second machine: This machine is an immense one. You feed corn into it, push a button and this device grinds the corn and then, when it looks like fine grains of cornmeal, the corn grinder spits it out. What interesting ways to grind grain! That is just the first floor of the Graue Mill and Museum. It is both educational and fun. You should visit it sometime!

Article posted October 16, 2009 at 01:46 PM • comment (1) • Reads 142 • see all articles