Copyright (c) 2014 by E Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
E -- Blogmeister

2009-2010

by E

teacher: Mr. Edwards

Title: Simple machines (04/30/10)
Description: Look through the photos in the slide show of our trip to the Museum of Science and Industry. Choose one or two photos and describe what is happening in the photo. What type of simple machine is being used? What would you use it for? Provide an example. Have Fun!!

Article posted April 30, 2010 at 04:00 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 274

Our class visited the Museum of Science and Industry to learn ore about simple machines. We participated in a hands-on lab about simple machines. The students had a great time. Here are some photos. One thing that I learned was the formula: Work = Force X Distance.

The picture I chose is picture number 3. This lever is a simple machine.  These students found out that when you put the fulcrum which is the point where it holds the lever in place. To use the lever the fulcrum has to be closer to the weight that you want to lift up, not the person trying to lift the weight, because it is harder to lift something if the fulcrum is closer to you.

Picture number three showed people working with the lever. One person was standing on one end and the other person was pushing down, trying to lift the other person up. It was harder to lift the person when the fulcrum (the part in the middle) was closer to the person trying to lift the other picture. When the fulcrum was closer to the person being lifted, it was easier to lift them.

This simple machine is called a lever. A lever is a board with a fulcrum ( or point) in the middle. This machine works better when the fulcrum is closer to the object that is being lifted.

In this picture, Emily and I studied wheels and axles. They work because the wheel turns around the still middle, the axle. Since there is not much friction between the wheel and the axle, the wheel spins easily.

In a car, for instance, the steering wheel turns against the middle part, the axle. The turning wheel reduces the friction against the rubber wheel and the road by

In this picture Kellen and I are testing out some surfaces, to see which one produced the most friction. First we rolled the car down the yellow smooth surface, which didn't produce much friction. Then we tried the grass surface, which produced a lot of friction, because it was rough. After the grass we tried the pink bumpy surface, and found not a lot of friction. Last but not least, we tried the grated surface, that had a lot of friction. The most was arguably the grated or grassy surface, the second most was the bumpy surface and the third most (or last) was the smooth yellow surface.

At the Museum Of Science And Industry Emily, Nina and I were at table #2 table #2 happen to be Levers! Levers are a bord with a fulcrum under the bord. It was to hard to lift me so we moved the fulcrum closer to me an the Emily and Nina could lift me! if you put the fulcrum closer to the load [ wich is the thing you lift] it is easier to lift but if it is further it is harder. Levers help us=http://!

In the incline plane we are seeing which one is easy to lift up the ramp. The steep one was same as the longer one if you let the car go it might brake because it steep and if you let it go on the longer

one it will might not brake because when you let it go the car it go strait down. The steep one was harder because it would crash more often.

I picked this picture of Kellen holding a screw. I picked this picture because I held the same screw but I could not find the picture.

This is a picture of me working with the simple machine of a screw. I Chose this photo because it was a good example of how a simple machine works. I was trying to screw the nail into a block of wood. Kate is holding it making it easier for the screw to go in. There were to nails we got to screw in, And we figured out which of the nails was easier to screw in. I enjoyed learning about all the simple machines!

I chose photo #4 because my group was working on the simple machine the incline plane(or ramp). The incline plane is a simple machine that helps lift heavy objects. Lifting a heavy object like into a truck takes a lot of work. But the incline plane lets you lift objects more easily but it has to travel a longer distance. That is an incline plane.

I chose photo number thirteen because i was in the picture with a screw. screws keep and hold things together. I chose this one because screws are one of my favorite simple machines. I like how they work and help people.

This picture is about me and my group we are working on a incline plane we are seeing what one would be harder to get up with a truck we figured out that the steeper one was harder to get up and the one that was not steep was easier to get up.

The picture I chose to describe shows some students using the wheels and axels.

The wheel and axel are two very important simple machines. Students found out that the bigger the wheel, the less force is needed to turn the wheel and the ones surrounding it, and the smaller the wheel, the harder it is to turn it. This simple machines is very interesting.