Copyright (c) 2014 by Ms. Wilmsen Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Ms. Wilmsen -- Blogmeister

Life Science Musings

Ms. Wilmsen's Class

by Ms. Wilmsen

"Trouble on the Table" article
"Super Potatoes" article
American Resource Use
American Resource Use pdf

Article posted June 2, 2006 at 12:29 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 5259

You are going to be eight-graders next year, so I am asking you to think about your experiences in science from this year and give advice to the seventh graders coming in next year. Be sure to include as many details as you can to help them be successful. Try to make your entry interesting by adding voice to your writing.

You are nearing the end of the 05-06 school year. Describe what you enjoyed doing, whether it was an activity, lesson, or concept. Also describe what you didn't like, and suggestions for how Ms. Wilmsen can improve her lessons for next year.

You have been outside building rain gardens around Milton Somers. Write your reflection about your rain garden experiences. There are many ways to respond to this, however you must include sufficient details in your response.

Article posted May 1, 2006 at 11:40 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 76

View the graphic about "American Resource Use" under the links (found below picture of seahawk). Then, using your knowledge of how our human population is growing, explain what concerns or consequences there may be if we continue the demand for resources. Don't forget to give your suggestions as to how we can limit or reduce the need for these resources. Be specific as to what can be done.

Article posted April 21, 2006 at 03:01 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 56

Life is discovered on another planet. Do you think that the organisms living on this planet will be the same as the ones that have lived on Earth? Please explain why you think the organisms would or would not have evolved similarly to life on our planet. Be sure to give examples of how planetary differences would make the organisms different. Evolution is occuring, but what is the result?

Article posted April 21, 2006 at 02:59 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 68

You are a female frog that has inherited a genetic variation that has caused you to ignore the mating calls of male frogs. Remember when you are writing that the male frogs call means something like, "Hey babe, I'll make you strong babies that will survive". The female in this scenario do hear the males, they just ignore them. And it is only one female that is effected. How will this impact the future of your species? Think of as many possibilities as you can.

"Though a tree grows so high, the falling leaves return to the root."

-Malay proverb

We went outside on Wednesday for Arbor Day. To reflect on our lesson, please give your opinion on what this proverb has to do with what we have learned in class. Think about what we said, outside as well as in class, about what trees contribute to the environment.

Now that you are a member of the blogging community, describe how you think blogging will improve your writing in science.

What do you look forward to?

How do you think blogging will be different to writing with pencil and paper?

What might be some of the benefits to reading other students' writings and being able to comment on this?

Is there anything you are nervous about in relation to blogging, or writing online?

We have been talking in class about genetic engineering. Read the articles "Trouble on the Table" and "Super Potatoes" found under the links. Then respond to the following questions.

Do you think we should be genetically modifying (GM) food? Why or why not? What might be the problems with GM foods? What could be the benefits of GM foods? Should the government regulate GM products?

I have decided how I am going to evaluate the blogs. This will be an effort and completion grade, more than an actual right/wrong answer. Students are required to respond to 7 of the 9 (or more) blogs. Each blog will be worth 10 points. Your score is based on 9 points available from your response and 1 point from commenting on another student's blog. The rubric below explains what the levels of blog response are.

Rubric for Blog Responses-

Unacceptable (earns 6.3 points out of 10)

One brief general comment is posted that does not answer all questions asked or does not relate to the topic.

Developing (earns 7.8 points out of 10)

Brief comment is posted that responds to some of the questions asked, offers a generic perspective, and/or does not clearly express opinion. This blog may also need some grammatical improvment, like transition words or word choice.

Accomplished (earns 9.0 points out of 10) Thoughtful comment is posted that addresses all questions asked, offers a personal perspective. and expresses opinions clearly.

05-06 Life Science
05-06 Life Science*
05-06 Life Science^