Copyright (c) 2014 by Suzanne Laskowsky Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister

Mrs Laskowsky's Kindergarten Blog

by Suzanne Laskowsky

Deerfield Community School
Information About Our Classroom
Mrs. Knee Kinderkids Blog

Article posted June 23, 2010 at 12:47 AM GMT • comment • Reads 353

happy summer

The KL community of children, parents, teachers and administrators wishes everyone a Happy Summer!    

butterfly bunch butterfly bunch2

It was fitting that we began the year with the Monarchs leaving Deerfield, migrating south, and we end the year with their arrival back in Deerfield .  This past fall the new kindergarteners arrived at DCS and now it's their turn to leave kindergarten on the next step of their journey.  " You seem so frail and delicate, A breeze can waft you near.  You're filled with boundless energy...  I reach, you disappear!  And I am left with memories, exquisite, rare, apart... Until the day that you return, I'll remember nature's art. "

To a Monarch Butterfly ,  by Lola Sneyd 

We visited the Seacoast Science Center at Odiorne Point in Rye.  We had a wonderful day exploring tidepools.  Inside the Center is a new exhibit about a young humpback whale.  The kids returned to school wanting to know more about whales.  We compared different whales.  We measured ourselves and figured out that 12 kindergarteners head to toe would be as long as a humpback whale.  We read stories, poems and listened to humpback whale songs.  The artwork truly represents the beauty and serenity of the whales we studied.  Please enjoy these gorgeous paintings done with tempra paint, brush, and stencil by the KL kindergarteners. 

Article posted June 21, 2010 at 01:49 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 63

Whales on PhotoPeach

Article posted May 16, 2010 at 11:38 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 65

KL kids celebrated Earth Day by beginning to create a butterfly garden.  They  planted some butterfly weed seeds, and some colorful annuals.  We talked about some of the simple little changes that kids can make, to help make the earth a better place.  They pledged to pick up trash, turn off the lights  and the TV when they leave a room, recycle plastic, and paper, and re use whenever possible.  We had a book swap, and spent the day without the inside lights.  Good thing it was bright and sunny out.   We then put our messages on paper bags, and brought them to a local restaurant.  Lucky Deerfield residents received their take out with a handpainted message from Deerfield's 5 and 6 year olds.

Article posted March 8, 2010 at 02:20 AM GMT • comment • Reads 64

Article posted February 24, 2010 at 09:32 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 58

We have had a lot of fun studying the Winter Olympics.  Each child picked a country to track their medals.  We graphed the medals, read the data, and solved mathematical story problems using the information.  We discovered that the Olympic flag symbolizes the five major land areas of the world, and the connected circles symbolize unity and friendship.  We are designing a classroom flag which will symbolize who we are as individuals, and represent our class as a whole.  Each day we work and play together, and always strive to do our best, just like Olympians.  Just before winter break we had a medals ceremony.  The children thought of specials awards for each other.  Some of the awards were ' great friend, great at drawing, great at math, helpful friend, great listener, and amazingly nice.  The children awarded the medals, and they were proud of themselves, and each other as we cheered for each medal winner.

KL Olympians on PhotoPeach

Snow

We began our snow unit with some questions we had about snow. How is snow made? How does snow move and why? Why does it snow here? We worked and played outside and found out that the first snowstorm was not good for snowmen or snowballs, but was really good for snow angels. We also collected snow and made some predictions about the amount of water in this snow. Snowstorm #2 We started our week with an outdoor classroom. We had a gorgeous Tuesday with lots of snow to study, and play in. We caught snowflakes on black paper and examined them with magnifying glasses. We measured the snow, and built forts and slides. We established that the snow was much better to make snowballs and snow forts with, than last week’s snow, probably due to more water vapor. Ask your child what the recipe for snow is? Snow requires water, heat (sun), wind, freezing temperatures, and dust particles. There are special directions to mix up a snow storm. We decided that putting the melted snow in the freezer or outside would just make ice, not snow. We will study snowflakes, and observe closely the different shapes that ice crystals form. We wrap up our study of snow with another snowstorm, a snow day, and the Winter Olympics. Each athlete had a dream that started when they were young. They worked hard, and strived to be excellent at what they love. We might not all be cut out for winter sports, but if we are, and we love to do them, - we live in a great place to fulfill those dreams.

Article posted January 8, 2010 at 02:07 AM GMT • comment • Reads 59

Crumples the Butterfly on PhotoPeach

UPDATE : Crumples is still alive and doing fine.  Today's date is February 16th, and Crumples is holding out for some spring flowers.

Today is January 7, 2010 and all three butterflies are doing fine. Well fine might not be the right word. Last Saturday, I awoke to find the top of the butterfly tank collapsed in. It seems that Meow Meow has been sitting on top of the tank, and his weight must have pushed in the screen. I was dismayed to find only two butterflies in the tank.  I looked at the cats who weren’t talking. Then the missing butterfly walked out from under the desk. I scooped him up, he was alive, but his wing was a bit tattered, like   lace. Otherwise fine he was put back in the tank, and is doing well. We now have Crumples, Tatters, and Battty (he likes to bat his wings). I have changed their food to Strawberry Kiwi juice as well as the honey to give them some variety.  They seem to like both.     

Article posted December 29, 2009 at 01:01 AM GMT • comment • Reads 65

On the International Space Station all three caterpillars pupated to form chrysalises on November 24, 2009. Our caterpillars on earth pupated on November 27-28th   On December 3rd two of the monarchs in space emerged. The last emerged on December 4th. Our monarchs in Deerfield took their time, and slowly emerged beginning on December 8th, then December 12th, and then the last one emerged on December 16th. One of the caterpillars emerged during the weekend and fell. He could not pump and dry his wings, so he was unable to fly. We call him Crumples. It was difficult to keep the temperature in the classroom at 70 degrees, and we figure that this instability in the temperature was one of the reasons that our butterflies took longer to pupate and emerge. The butterflies did not take to the Gatorade nectar. We created a mixture of honey and warm water.  The butterflies loved the honey nectar, and we were able to see them drinking the nectar from a soaked cotton ball. I took the butterflies’ home during the winter vacation, and my cats Zelda and Meow Meow are enjoying watching all three butterflies. The monarchs in space were able to pupate, emerge and expand their wings in space. The following note is from  http://www.monarchwatch.org/space/.

11 Dec 2009 11:44pm UTC We expected the monarchs in space adult lifespan to be approximately one week, versus the typical 2-4 weeks in the spring and summer - and this is precisely what has been observed. The three monarchs successfully emerged as adult butterflies on December 3rd & 4th and as of today all have expired. Failure to find and/or use the nectar feeder is likely a major contributing factor, but is only speculation until we get a chance to review all of the video.

Overall, the monarchs in space exceeded our expectations in regards to the challenges introduced by a microgravity environment. Well done!

Our monarchs here on earth are still alive (December 29, 2009), even Crumples. They like to hang from the top of their bigger tank, and hang on the window side of the tank. The oldest butterfly has now been alive for 21 days, I guess they like it here in Deerfield. 

Hurt no living thing:

Ladybird, nor butterfly,

Nor moth with dusty wing,

Nor cricket chirping cheerily,

Nor grasshopper so light of leap,

Nor dancing gnat, nor beetle fat,

Nor harmless worms that creep.

by  Christina Rossetti

KL 2012