Copyright (c) 2014 by Laura Knox Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Laura Knox -- Blogmeister

Awesome Authors

Welcome to our K-2 creative writing class blog. The purpose of this blog is to provide a way for students to publish some of their work, and to allow them to communicate with others in a way that is meaningful. Please support these young writers and artists by posting encouraging comments of your own. You can access students’ individual blog pages by clicking on "Awesome Authors 2014" on the right side of this page, and then on students' initials. To post a comment of your own, click on the word "comment" below an article or posting. Thank you for visiting our blog!

by Laura Knox

Kids on the Net
Word Central
Speakaboos
Kids Dictionary/Fact Monster
Wordle
North Dakota Museum of Art
Fern's Poetry Club-PBS Kids
Benettonplay! Flipbooks
NIE Rocks! Sue Lindlauf- Newspapers in Education
Storymaker
Grammar Songs Symbaloo
WeeWorld Avatars
GoAnimate

Article posted July 3, 2014 at 06:28 PM GMT0 • comment • Reads 3634

The Awesome Authors were invited to write reviews of new and/or popular children's books, for the Grand Forks Herald. Each student wrote a book review and drew a picture to represent the book he/she read. These reviews will begin running, in the Accent Section of the Sunday Herald, on Sunday, July 20th.

Article posted June 20, 2014 at 04:54 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 520

Commercials Now Playing! by MsKnox on GoAnimate

Article posted June 12, 2014 at 05:27 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 770

Writers draw inspiration in many ways; so visiting the North Dakota Museum of Art is always a fascinating experience for the Awesome Authors class. This year, Matt Anderson led us through the current exhibits, including Mary Bonkemeyer: Decades of Paint; Craig Langager Sculpture in the Museum's Permanent Collection; and Barton's Place, a reconstruction of Barton Lidice Benes' New York apartment. These exhibits, and the information Matt shared, generated many questions and comments from the kids. We are truly fortunate to have this extraordinary museum in our community! You will find a link to the NDMOA's website under Related Links on the left side of this page.

Article posted June 6, 2014 at 04:31 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 620

Article posted June 6, 2014 at 02:46 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 66

The Awesome Authors visited the offices of the Grand Forks Herald on Wednesday. We enjoyed talking with Herald staff members about their jobs, and learning about all the work it takes to get the newspaper ready for production each day. Once again, we were invited to write reviews of children's books, for the Herald! Please watch our blog for more information on our book reviews. Also, please click on the link for Sue Lindlauf's Newspapers in Education blog (on the left side of this page) to see a photo of the Awesome Authors in front of the Herald building.

We've been talking about what writers would do without adjectives and adverbs (a.k.a. describing words), to create pictures in the minds of readers. Without these special words, the Awesome Authors could not have described the monsters they created, using the Kid Pix Deluxe program. Please check out these marvelous monsters and the kids' descriptions, on their individual pages!

I am thrilled to announce that, "the writers of summer" are back! This year, our Awesome Authors class includes fifteen delightful writers, who are exited to share their work here. We are fortunate to have an amazing middle school student, from the Helping Hands volunteer program. She has already achieved a superhero status in our classroom!

We had four wonderful days together this week. We made special writers notebooks, wrote cinquain poems, completed adjectives monsters projects, and established our individual blog pages. We're looking forward to a visit to the offices of The Grand Forks Herald, next week. Please visit the blog pages of the 2014 Awesome Authors often throughout the month of June!

Awesome Authors 2011
Awesome Authors 2012
Awesome Authors 2013
Awesome Authors 2014