Copyright (c) 2014 by Laura Knox Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Laura Knox -- Blogmeister

Awesome Authors

Welcome to our K-2 creative writing class blog. The purpose of this blog is to provide a way for students to publish some of their work, and to allow them to communicate with others in a way that is meaningful and valuable. Please support these young writers and artists by posting encouraging comments of your own. Students’ individual blog pages can be accessed by clicking on "Awesome Authors 2013" on the right side of this page, and then on students' initials or nicknames. To post a comment of your own, click on the word "comment" below an article or posting. Thank you for visiting our blog!

by Laura Knox

Kids on the Net
Writing Prompts
Word Central
Speakaboos
Kids Dictionary/Fact Monster
Magnet Poetry
Wordle
North Dakota Museum of Art
Unique (Avatars)
Fern's Poetry Club-PBS Kids
Kinderblog! Ms. Knox's Kindergartners
Benettonplay! Flipbooks
NIE Rocks! Sue Lindlauf- Newspapers in Education
Storymaker
Sketchfu

Commercials Now Playing!
by: lauraknox

Article posted June 15, 2013 at 01:01 AM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 39

Writers can draw inspiration from the lives and talents of others, so visiting the North Dakota Museum of Art is always an enlightening experience for the members of the Awesome Authors class. This year, Sue Fink led us through two fascinating photography exhibits: Rebecca Norris Webb's My Dakota, and Violet Isle by Alex Webb and Rebecca Norris Webb. These exhibits, shot in South Dakota and Cuba respectively, generated many wonderful questions and comments from the kids. We also saw Robert Archambeau's pottery exhibit, entitled Over Time, and some of the pieces in the sculpture garden outside.

Sue told us about the life and collection of artist Barton Benes, including his Museum Donor Wall. We are truly fortunate to have this extraordinary museum in our community! You will find a link to the NDMOA's website under Related Links on the left side of this page.

Article posted June 7, 2013 at 05:04 AM GMT0 • comment (6) • Reads 41

We visited the offices of the Grand Forks Herald this week. Sue Lindlauf, along with several other Herald staff members, shared valuable information for young writers and readers. We were invited to write reviews of children's books, which will be published in the Herald! I'll post an article about our reviews when they are finished and published.

Sue Lindlauf's blog, entitled NIE Rocks!, is full of interesting information and links for students of all ages, as well as for parents and educators. You will find a link to NIE Rocks! under Related Links on the left side of this page. Please enjoy the slideshow below.

Article posted June 4, 2013 at 08:05 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 39

Children in the primary grades spend a lot of time learning the rules associated with the conventions of writing (e.g. spelling, grammar, punctuation, paragraphing and capitalization).  It's certainly important for kids to become aware of these rules, and to have numerous opportunities to practice using them as they write and edit. 

Free verse poetry is a wonderful way for kids to express themselves and to feel successful with writing.  With their exuberant nature, young children seem to bubble with poetry!  Often, when the structure of writing is relaxed a bit, even the most timid writer's voice shines through.  Please enjoy the illustrated poems on the Awesome Authors' individual blog pages.  

We've been talking about what writers would do without adjectives and adverbs (a.k.a. describing words), to create pictures in the minds of readers. Without these special words, the Awesome Authors could not have described the monsters they created, using the Kid Pix Deluxe program. Please check out these marvelous monsters and the kids' descriptions on their individual pages!

Article posted May 24, 2011 at 07:47 AM GMT0 • comment (6) • Reads 42

Please click the play button below.

Awesome Authors 2011
Awesome Authors 2012
Awesome Authors 2013