Copyright (c) 2014 by David Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
David -- Blogmeister

RockYou FXText

Room 04 2011

Kia Ora! Welcome to Room 4. We are a room full of gorgeouly clever 9, 10 and 11 year olds in beautiful New Zealand Aotearoa. We love learning new things and always have lots of questions. The world is our oyster!!

by David

teacher: Leanne Stewart

Pest Letter
David
Lynmore Primary School
Iles Road,
Lynmore,
Rotorua,

18th September 2009,
RE: Hedgehogs are a pest

Dear Minister of Conservation Hon Tim Groser,

I am going to convince you with the following reasons that hedgehogs are the worst pest that there is in New Zealand.

Firstly, Hedgehogs gobble up endemic reptiles and insects such as the weta. The Department of Conservation (DoC) has found as many as 283 weta legs in one hedgehog. Hedgehogs also eat endemic skinks and they may become extinct. Hedgehogs also eat grasshoppers so endemic grasshoppers may become extinct.

Secondly, hedgehogs eat ground nesting birds eggs such as the brown teal eggs. So when we look at a pond there is nothing beautiful to look at. Hedgehogs also eat kiwi eggs. Do you want your nations icon to be extinct?

Finally, the hedgehog can carry deadly diseases such as Tuberculosis (T.B). T.B. kills 99.9% of animals and humans who have been infected by it. Hedgehogs have also been known to carry the HIV virus (AIDs). This is an incurable disease that can kill in as little as 48 hours if left untreated. Imagine that!

So, please make a small donation to help stop the hedgehogs from hurting New Zealand.

Yours Sincerely,

David

Article posted November 24, 2009 at 03:42 AM • comment • Reads 41 • see all articles