Copyright (c) 2016 by Alice Smith Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister

5th Grade Math Bloggers

This blog is a place for fifth graders in Grand Forks, ND to share their thinking about math. The purpose of our blog is to communicate our learning through authentic interaction. We hope you will visit our page often and respond to our writing, thinking process, and problem solving.

by Alice Smith

Problem Solving
Sandbags
Million $ Mission
Which is Quicker?
Power Cards
Your Number Was...
Sequence Memory
Reaction Time 1
Reaction Time 2
Reaction Time 3
Reaction Time 4
Reaction Time 5
Reaction Time 6
Let's Play Math
Fraction Balloons
Math Splat
Mixed Numbers
Reducing Fractions
Survey Says??
Goofy Smart Kids
Create A Graph

Here are what some great 5th grade mathematicians have to say:

MONEY!!!, cooking, doubling recipes, 1/2 tank of gas, a piece (or two...or three) of pie, movie ratings, fraction of crops harvested, dividing up pizza, shoe sizes, medicine doses, dividing paper when drawing, clothing sizes (in some countries --not in U.S.), car racing (he won by a fraction of a second), gymnastics scores, carpentry, drink half of your body weight in ounces of water, architecture (blue prints), dog grooming charts...

Hey global friends...can you add more in our comment section?

Article posted January 13, 2016 at 06:29 AM GMT • comment • Reads 165

Caught this clip on the science channel the other night! You will enjoy exploring "The Kids Should See This" site. Please comment and let me know what you learn and discover.

Enjoy!

[LINK]

Article posted January 13, 2016 at 01:43 AM GMT • comment • Reads 54

Student #1:

Me: Mom, how do you use estimation?

Mom: Well, here are some examples. I use it for knowing how long to put cheesy chips in the microwave, how much work I can get done in an hour, how much food our dogs need when we go on vacation, what size the load of laundry is, etc.

Me: But why do you use estimation? Can't you just use a tool to measure things like your examples?

Mom: I suppose, but estimating can save time, and can... Ummm... Give you a better result when you can't get an exact measurement (when that's not possible). Overall, estimation helps you be more efficient!

Student #2

My dad uses estimation when he does the bills, estimating time, and estimating how long something is going to take. He uses it for estimating distance like how far will it take until he reaches his destination, and estimating how long something is going to last.

Student #3:

I asked my dad about how he uses estimation. I asked him questions like how do you use it? Why do you use it? When do you use it? What do you use it for? And what happens when you estimate wrong.

It's very important to know how to estimate right because if he doesn't get around the price and estimates a little low and the customer accepts, you've got to do the job for that amount. If you estimate too high and they still accept you do the job and you keep the extra money. That's why you've got to be close to the price.

Article posted December 21, 2015 at 02:18 AM GMT • comment (15) • Reads 2156

Check out this article about nuclear power and one person's opinion about it from the newspaper this weekend. There's an interesting and challenging math problem about how to cool a potential reactor for a nuclear plant.

[LINK]

Excerpt from The Grand Forks Herald, Article: Q&A with Duane Sand: Ten thousand jobs from nuclear power

By Tom Dennis on Dec 19, 2015

"Now, here’s another water-related issue: The closest nuclear power plant to Chicago is the Dresden Generating Station. It’s on the confluence of two rivers; and every other year or so, the Army Corps of Engineers calls the officials at the plant to ask them to go “open cycle.”

The reason is that they want Dresden to suck from the river, then put heated water back into the river to thaw ice to prevent the flooding of homes.

Who’s to say we couldn’t do the same thing here? It doesn’t take a lot of warm water to melt a lot of cold ice. It would be a good project for someone at UND: How much water at 110 degrees would it take to thaw, say, 3 feet of ice for 200 miles? Remember, we could build a pipeline halfway up and start putting heated water in there, too."

Article posted December 16, 2015 at 12:18 PM GMT • comment (12) • Reads 245

Hello Mathematicians!

Warm up your brain by going to this site before we dig in to more division.

[LINK]

Comment in the article and let me know how you did. Which question took you the longest and why?

Happy "mental mathing"!

Mrs. Smith

When in the (real) world will you ever need to know order of operations? What's the point with "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally"? Can you find any good videos to share about PEMDAS? Your other mission, should you choose to take it, is to do some research and find other ways/reasons PEMDAS is useful. As always, there are some games for you to show what you know. Do you have a favorite?

Using Order of Ops

[LINK]

Math Expressions with Exponents

[LINK]

Bracket Basics

[LINK]

Basket Math

[LINK]

Here is a great website to get you thinking about both sides of an equation. Tell me what you think!

[LINK]

Test your skills with these multiplying fractions games. How did you do? When you're done, explore the last site about careers that use math. Does anything catch your eye? Enjoy your math experience!

Game 1....Watch out!!! You have to simplify to get a correct answer....ex: instead of typing 9/12, you'd type 3/4 for your final answer.

[LINK]

Game 2...Read directions carefully...you don't have to simplify the answer

[LINK]

Game 3...This takes a minute to load. Open game 4 while you wait!

[LINK]

Game 4...Multiplying Mixed #'s...good luck!

[LINK]

Math Careers...Dig deeper into this site to see how math (and multiplying fractions) might connect to a job you're interested in.

[LINK]

Article posted April 17, 2014 at 03:11 PM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 1079

Keep practicing the games on PEMDAS from the previous post. Your job today is to visit the sites below and create an article about one of them. If you finish, visit some of your classmates' pages. Don't forget to try increase the number of "reads" on our blog before next week!

Order of Operations

[LINK]

Solving Equations 1

[LINK]

Solving Equations 2

[LINK]

Solving Equations 3

[LINK]

Article posted April 17, 2014 at 03:05 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 82

Using Order of Ops

[LINK]

Math Expressions with Exponents

[LINK]

Bracket Basics

[LINK]

Basket Math

[LINK]

2010-2011 Math Bloggers
2011-2012 Math Bloggers
2012-2013 Math Bloggers
2013-2014 Math Bloggers
2015-2016 Math Bloggers

I am a 5th grade teacher in Grand Forks, ND. I have been teaching for 19 years and I love my job! I enjoy reading, playing tennis, and having fun with my family. My favorite book is Flying Solo by Ralph Fletcher. Locations of visitors to this page