Copyright (c) 2014 by Celeste B. Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Celeste B. -- Blogmeister

Melba High School

Mustang Readers blog about books they have selected for the library from field trips to major book stores. Students also blog about character traits portrayed in YRCA books.

by Celeste B.

teacher: Glynda Pflieger

Title: Barnes & Noble (08/31/09)
Description: Blog about any book you read during the summer. Remember to relate the book or an event in the story to one of the nine character education traits.

Mustang Readers’ have been selecting books for the school library for the past four years and now we have an incredible fiction collection! The down side is that our non-fiction percentages are low. We encourage all high school Mustang Readers’ to select non-fiction but it is not required.

Before the field trip you will have to complete the following:

·          Blog about any book you read over the summer relating the book or an event to one of the following character traits: empathy, self control, citizenship, appreciation & generosity, tolerance & diversity, dignity & pride, honesty & integrity, respect, responsibility

·          Make a positive comment on another students’ blog

·          High school juniors and seniors will also need to identify one non-fiction book for the school library from the EBSCO database titled Book Index with Reviews.

o    To access the database, use the LILI (Libraries Linking Idaho) Logo linked on our school library website

o    Do an advanced search for non-fiction and any topic or author you are interested in reading about

o    Use the new “Note Taking“feature to explain why we should include the book in the library collection and then email the note or save it to GoogleDocs and share with my Gmail.

While at Barnes & Noble:

·          Select your books (middle or high school appropriate)

·          Pick up a post-it-note from a staff member in the café

·           Write your name and book title on the post-it before asking a staff member to initial their approval

·           Attach approved post-it-note to your books until they are purchased using a library purchase order

·           Post-it-notes will be collected at the register

YOU are responsible for your books at all times. Please read and turn into the library before our December Mustang Reader Committee meeting

Article posted October 29, 2009 at 09:07 PM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 179

Four years prior to the main events of the story, Mack takes his three youngest children on a camping trip to Multnomah Falls and Wallowa Lake near Joseph, Oregon. Two of his children are playing in a canoe when it flips and almost drowns Mack's son. Mack is able to save his son by leaving his youngest daughter Missy alone at their campsite. After Mack returns, he sees that Missy is missing and he calles the police.mack shows alot of self control because he is mad at himself and feels responsibile because he should of been watching missy.

Mack's life sinks into what he calls The Great Sadness.

At the beginning of the book, Mack receives a note in his mailbox from "Papa", saying that he would like to meet with Mack on that coming weekend at the shack. Mack is puzzled by the note - he has no relationship with his abusive father, who left when Mack was young. He suspects that the note may be from God, whom his wife Nan refers to as "Papa".

Does this book have you sitting on the edge of your chair? Are you wanting to read this book?

if yes then you will love it.

Article posted October 20, 2009 at 10:20 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 103

Massie’s world fall apart as Alicia’s cousin, Nina, comes for a visit. Is starts with trends then moves to the most important thing of all….guys.  When it comes to stealing things Nina rises to the top she can steal everything from locks and pens to Claire’s and Massie’s boyfriends. But then there is the valentine dance coming up and the girls have something big in store for Nina. Nina learns that although being honest is not easy it’s a good thing when dealing with people like Massie.   

Article posted October 26, 2009 at 07:56 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 179

The Diary of a Wimpy Kid

This book relates to honesty and integrity because the main character shows honesty to his best friend. He also shows integrity but mostly honesty. The book is really funny but make sure you read it all to the end because it has a pretty good story of the wimpy kid and his adventures.

ext of your blog here!

Glass Houses is the first book in the Morganville Vampire series by Rachel Caine.

Claire is a 16 year old genius. She is in college, and working toward a degree. She lives in an all girl dorm where the ruling girl is crazy. And no one is to stay out after dark in a town ruled by vampires. What is a girl to do to ensure the safety of her new friends when dealing vampires usually means death? Claire soon learns nothing is as apears and it takes major self control to stay sane in a place that makes you change forever.

Article posted October 30, 2009 at 12:27 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 225

One of the latest books I read was called Stealing Heaven. It was about this girl who had grown up with just her mother, who was a professional theif. She stole mainly things from old houses such as large rugs or silver. As the girl gets older, she starts helping her mother and they skip from town to town, rarely ever getting caught. Her mother tricked men to get them to lend her money or a place to stay as they did their jobs. I think this book actually has quite a bit to do with responsibility. I know that sounds like I'm justifying the fact that they stole from older people but I'm not. The mother steals because it's all she knows how to do and it's all that makes her happy. She has a RESPONSIBILITY to take care of her daughter and stealing is the only thing she knows how to do and make money from. Then later the mother gets sick and the daughter takes the responsibility of paying for everything and watching over her mother in the hosital. So responsiblity definitely stands out in this book.

Article posted October 15, 2009 at 08:42 PM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 171

In Dear John I think that Savannah shows a lot of compassion and generosity when she is talking and spending time with John’s dad even though he has mental disabilities. She also shows compassion when she starts working with kids that have mental disabilities and when she takes care of Tim’s younger brother. Even thought it is difficult for her because he doesn’t always understand what is going on with Tim, she still helps him and deals with him. Even when Tim is in the hospital she is constantly taking care of him.

This summer I read a book called Lemonade Mouth. It was about a very diverse group of kids who were all relativialy strange. Their diverse ways brings them together and through a series of weird events the 5 kids end up making a band. The diversity of the group shows in their music and the band is unlike anyother band the world has ever known. The music is undescribable. Many people feel a connection to Lemonade Mouth and the 5 kids begin their journey of changing the world one song at a time. It is a very good book!

The Hunger Games is a book about North America in the future under a dictatorship. There was 13 districts, but they rebelled and  district number 13 was destroyed. So the government decided for that rebellion that every year all of the district had to pick a boy and a girl to play the Hunger Games. The Hunger Games are when 24 kids go in this arena and have to kill each other. Well the main character, Katniss's sister was picked and she had the responsibility to step up and volunteer so her sister wouldn't get killed in the arena. It's a really good book and keeps you on your feet.

This Lullaby would have to go under Respect. It falls under respect because Remy learns to respect her mom and step dad.  While learning to respect them Remy learns to respect herself and her decisions that help her and Dexter get a better relationship.

I think this book with its main character Harry Potter would fall under the category of citizenship. I think this because Harry, and his two friends go and stop evil from the evil voldemort. The protect everybody in their group along with everybody else in the castle. They practise citizenship almost everyday they spend trying to solve the mystery. They go as far as drinking disgusting potions to find out more on the chamber. This book can show us all how to be a good citizen.

Article posted October 6, 2009 at 10:28 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 145

In the book Frozen Fire By Tim Bowler the main characters name is Dusty. Dusty has alot of SELF CONTROL throughout the whole book. She always has to control herself when she talks to the mysterious boy everyone thinks is a rapest and a freak. She likes to look on the positive side of things, and gets to know the boy before judging him. Dusty also has self control when she thinks of her lost brother Josh. She has to help control herself and her dad for the loss of both her brother, and her mother walking out on her and her father. Dusty represents self control also when it comes to fighting, but in a much more negative way this time. She gets out of control when someone get on her nerves. She always trys to fight everyone who makes a rude comment about her or Josh. She even gets in a few fights during the book and both beats up and gets beat up by this guy named Denny and his followers.

Article posted October 6, 2009 at 10:26 PM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 172

Breaking Dawn by Stephanie Meyer, i think, relates to responsiblity the most because Edward has the responsibility to take care of Bella and his future child and Bella has the responsibilty to take care of her body and the child inside of her. Also Jacob Black appoints him-self the responsibility of being a sort of protector to the Cullens for the time being. This is why i choose responsibility as the theme for Breaking Dawn.

The Choice was a very good book. Like most of Nicholas Sparks it is a love story but in this book Travis (the main character) has a very difficult choice to make. He falls in love with Gabby who is physician and soon after they get married. Together they have two little girls. One day he is faced with a very difficult choice; one that would change his life and the lives of his daughters, dramatically. This story represents responsibility and how hard it is to be faced with life and death decision.

Greenwitch ispart of the Dark is Rising Sequence. In this book Will goes on a trip with his uncle. A few other characters come along like Merriman, Barney, Simon, and Jane Drew. Jane has an interesting experience with the greenwitch, a character from Trewissick custom and learns to see beyond just the big scary timbers wrapped together to form a figure and into it's real heart and to understand how it feels. that is why I think this book falls under the theme of empathy.

Article posted October 9, 2009 at 09:09 PM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 181

So Twilght is a pretty good book. It is about a vampire named Edward and a girl named Bella and they fall in love. The character Edward shows some self control. He is in love with bella but for some strange reason he wants to kill her. He controls his desire very well because he never kills her.

Article posted October 30, 2009 at 08:40 PM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 170

Enna Burning

This book portrays self control because Enna has to learn to control her power to use fire. One time she has to control her want to burn a house down and she breaks down crying because it gives her pain to have to keep her want inside of her. It is a really intense book and is a very fun adventure. So, I think you should read it. Hope you enjoy it!

Article posted October 30, 2009 at 06:54 PM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 117

Joey pigza loses control

I think that this book relates to self-control by Joey showing his dad that he can but doesn’t show his manners. His dad has only ever seen the bad side so his dad gets shocked.

Carter pigza is a person who shows Joey how to be a winner and he also teaches Joey to play baseball. Carter now gets proud of himself and he spreads what he knows further down the road.

Joey’s dad thinks that control means giving up the things that keep Joey safe.

I encourage you to read the book!!!

Article posted October 30, 2009 at 09:14 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 181

The character Education theme that I think applies to 13 Little Blue Envelopes is Responsibility because the main character Ginny Blackstone get some letters numbered 1 through 13. Her assignment is to leave home with nothing but what can fit in a backpack with out any technology or guidebooks. Along this trip she ends up sleeping on a park bench in france because the Cafe where she was staying at. So I think the point of this  story is that sometimes you need to jump in with out looking to learn to be responsible. Ginny had her parents looking out for her during her life so she decided to grow up. 

The book is about a bat that has a dad who is very brave and had many

adventures. The son, Griffin, was an obedient, honest bat. He told the truth when he knew he was in big trouble because he accidentally lit another bat on fire.

I like Virginia Amni's because the girl learned to show respect for her brother.

This book is about a boy who is aggressive and dangerous.  In the book he goes to an island and lives their by himself and another person comes back to give him food. And the reason he is at this island is because he smashed a kids head into the ground. So, he had to chose jail or this island. At the end of the book he learns how to control his self and his actions.

Article posted October 30, 2009 at 08:50 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 113

I think that  Percy  is responsible, because in this book there are Greek gods and the Titans are escaping. The kids of the gods are called half bloods and they have to put the Titans back in Taurtarus or else the Titans will take over the world, and Percy has to make a choice that will determine who wins.

I read Twilight over the summer and it was a great book! I think the character trait that fits this story would be self control because Edward has to control himself so he doesn’t eat her. See if you can find anymore character traits and blog about it.