Copyright (c) 2014 by CN Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
CN -- Blogmeister

Cherokee Nation-

by CN teacher: Elise Mueller

Running Deer tod me about something that happened yesterday or a couple days ago called the battle of Lexington. 

It started when the British Army came to check over the weapons of the colonists.  The night they heard the proclamation Paul Revere rode to all the towns within 20 miles of the place the British were going to come and warned them.  The British traveled by water during the night.  Paul Revere never finished his ride but one of his accompaniments finished for him.    In the north tower of Boston there were two lanterns lighted to warn everybody of the raid.  They did not call out the British are coming they used the words regular instead because they considered themselves British also. 

The next morning when the British attacked they met a fight by a few minutemen and killed a few of them.  They continued on to a small bridge, and at the bridge stopped.  There Thomas Gage had ordered troops to meet the British.  They were up on a hillside overlooking the bridge.  When the saw the fire on the ammunitions they thought it was their houses burning and started the battle. 

The battle went on and when finished 3 killed and 8 wounded for the British and the colonists had about 5 killed and about same amount wounded.  The British retreated to the other side of the river and the colonists stayed put. 

This was the beginning of the battle or disagreements.

-Wenoah

Running Deer told me about something that happened today in Boston called the Boston Tea Party. I don't know how news gets around so quick here. Well anyway, it was one of the bad results of the Tea Act. A bunch of People, (apparently they call themselves the "Sons of Liberty") heard about some new shipments of tea that were coming in at the Boston ports and disguised themselves as Native Americans, organizing an ambush on the boats. They managed to get on the boats and dump huge crates of tea into the harbor. Forty-Five tons of it! Most of the British Politicians are outraged. I don’t have many particular feelings about it, but I’m not sure that I am the most informed. I bet my father has some kind of strong feelings on the subject, I’ll ask him.

Today, Father greeted news from the East in an angry way. The news was sent by a group of hunters from the neighboring tribe. The hunters got lost and we found them and they gave us any news they had in pay. We directed them down the river. That tribe must not be very good trackers to lose thier way in the Forest of Glen. (That's wat we call the forest between our two tribes.) Why, I could find my way through the Glen Forest when I was four. Anyway, this news was about something everybody is calling the Boston Massacre. I know what a Massacre is. We were Massacred and we have massacred, but only in defence. This guy named Crispus Attucks Died during it. He was supposed to be a powerful man, not helpless, so this Massacre must have been very bad. I don't think he agreed with the pourpose of this Massacre.

-Tallulah

Article posted February 12, 2009 at 05:36 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 183

The ceremony went extremely well! Running Boar is very proud to be cheif of the scouts, and every one is excited about his finding Wyanet. The only bad thing is that we very much missed having her smiling face there with us. There was lots of singing and dancing at the ceremony, not to mention all the food that was served. I just got back, so I am stuffed to my full capacity. I hope we get a chance to write tomorrow!

-Wenoah

Yesterday Wyanet was found picking cotton on a slave plantation. The pale face owners would not let us have her back, but they said they would treat her better than the other slaves if we gave them furs and meat in trade. We agreed. The scout that found her is being made chief scout and there is going to be a ceremony held in his honor tonight with a minute set aside for mourning because we did not get Wyanet back. The scout’s name is being changed to Fierce Boar for the bravery it took to talk to the pale faces.                                                                                              

~Wenoah and Tallulah

Hurrah! Our  journal entries have reappeared. I think the evil magic that befell them has gone from our midst. Still no news about Wyanet. Mother, Father and the scout Leaping Fox are grieving still. There is no more fighting to do for the mean time and the scouts’ recovery has quickened its pace. Soon we will have fresh meat for the whole tribe.

-Wenoah   and Tallulah

Father told me about this treaty the French and British signed after the war ended. I think he called it the Treaty of Paris. I don't know much though. Tallulah told me that Wyanett's teacher Running Deer left for France yesterday to talk to one of the French generals about it. I did not hear anything more, but I'll ask father if he knows much       

Our diary entries have disapeared and replaced by a man who's name father says is King George the third. I don't know of whom and what he is king of, I just know that he is not king of the Cherokees.        

-Tallulah

Article posted February 6, 2009 at 12:31 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 187

All of our tribe members that went searching have come back. No good news or news at all of their findings. I don't want to doubt that we'll get my sister back again, but it is really hard to have any hope whatsoever. Our tribe has been very glum lately,  I think both a mix of the war outcome and all the people we have lost- our sister and some of the soldiers. We will send out another search party again tomorrow, but none of us are very convinced. We will write again tomorrow-Wenoah and Tallulah

Father came home a few days ago sorely wounded and many of our soldiers were killed, with some living but badly injured. Father told his tale of how we  were winning then the British overthrew us. He walks with a limp or not at all. We don't know what  will happen but while Father was away our village was raided and our sister Wyanet mysteriously  dissapeared. We were brokenhearted. Father sent out a majority of our living men to look for her, but none have come back with news, positive or negative. Another update tomorrow, Wenoah and Tallulah.

Chief Attakullaculla's daughters Wenoah, Wyanet and Tallulah are living in the Cherokee tribe during the Revolutionary War. Wenoah is 11 winters old, Tallulah is 12 and Wyanet is 13.