Copyright (c) 2014 by MS Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
MS -- Blogmeister

Madison :)-

Doniphan West Middle School Computer Classes

by MS teacher: Mrs. Gatz

Title: Blog Response #1 (09/14/09)
Description: "If you're good at something the popular crowd deems "uncool", you are sunk."
React to the quote in
- 2-3 meaningful sentences.
-Apply this to a real life situation that you or someone you know has experienced in 3-4 sentences (please change names for privacy sake)
-Discuss areas of life where this quote applies.

Article posted September 16, 2009 at 08:32 PM GMT0 • comment (4) • Reads 379

I think that Jodee was bullied becasue she's great at speechmaking and not because she doesn't do any of the popular things. Because Jodee got the Candies sandals and the designer jeans but she still didn't feel accepted in the 'cool crowd'. When she got tested in the bathroom by Sharon,one of the popular girls in school, and her followers,I think Jodee felt as if she needed to pass the test. So Sharen started to talk to her and then she offered a cigarett to Jodee but Jodee didn't want to fit in that way, so she lied and said she had a cold I've seen a situation like this happen to a girl called "Pickle" (by the way I'm using random words because I'm not going to name names) . So people in my class started to say that Pickle started a rumor  but I don't know the whole story.Anyway we were all down in the locker room and Pickle wasn't down there and two girls took Pickle's clothes and put them in the shower and ran water on them.So after they were finished I took Pickle's clothes out and I reported the whole situation to an adult.So I was being her friend when everyone else ignored her and she came back So I think that the most areas where this happens is in places where only certain people see it and no adults around.

Article posted September 22, 2009 at 05:44 PM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 75

If you are good at something the popular crowd deems uncool, you are sunk.

That quote in my opinion is not true. I think what matters most is your personality and how you treat family and friends because they are what matters most in life. Jodee was good at doing speeches. Everyone thought it was stupid because they weren't as talented as her in that so they make fun of her.

“If you’re good at something the popular crowd deems”uncool”, you are sunk.”

I believe this quote is very true. Especially when you are in middle school and you want to fit in so you have a lot of friends. This made me mad when I read it because I know this is true that this can happen every day. It made me mad when I was reading about all the cruel stuff they did to her no one disserves that. When I compare this to real life I think back to when I was in 5th grade and everybody kept on missing assignments and I was one of the few that actually did it, but when I got to the class I didn’t turn it in because I felt like I if I did then I would be called a teacher’s pet. Another situation that I can compare this to is in 7th grade Susie she was the type of girl who did stuff her own way but one day Annabelle said everybody pick the color red and if you don’t then you’re not cool and when I saw her pick it I was so surprised she changed from then on. It’s sad because sometimes you’re not good at the cool things.

Article posted September 17, 2009 at 08:10 PM GMT0 • comment (3) • Reads 64

“If you’re good at something the popular crowd deems “uncool”, you are sunk.”

I think that this happens to a lot of people. I don’t think that people should be made fun of for what they are good at because if might not make them have as much confidence as they had before.

One of my cousins was born with a foot defect, and couldn’t walk or run “normal.” She was the last picked for sports and it embarrassed her so she wouldn’t go out for sports. Now she’s on the cross country team at her school.

This quote applies especially in schools.

1) " If you're good at somthing the popular crowed deems "uncool" , you are sunk"  Just because the popular crowed thinks something that you are doing is uncool doesn't mean that the thing that you are doing is uncool. It mit be somthing that they wish that they could do. People make fun of my brother because he works at  a hog farm. People make fun of him because they think that he stinks. Noboby likes to ride in his truck.   

I’m good at sports and like to keep fit. Some people don’t like sports or do and are good at it or really bad! Those people are sometime jealous and start to talk bad about you and try to make themselves look and feel good about themselves! Sometimes they get discouraged or their critic starts to kick in and tries to make you feel bad about you’re self and want someone else to do all the work or make an excuse. This quotes applies to almost everything that some ones doing!  

-                  I think that this quote is saying that if people look down upon you for doing something because they think it isn’t as fun or cool as other people might think. I very much disagree with the quote, because I think that if someone enjoys doing something, they should do it even if they are made fun of. In the book Jodee was almost pressured to do badly in class just so her classmates wouldn’t make fun of her and think she was “uncool” for being smart. Luckily she went with her gut and did really well. But her classmates were cruel and made fun of her still.

-                 I can relate to this quote because once my friend stopped dressing a certain way and doing her make-up a specific way because everyone made fun of her for it. (especially guys) It used to make me so angry because she would get her feelings hurt every time this one boy said something to her. So she totally changed herself and her physical appearance just so she wouldn’t be made fun of. Everyone always says “be yourself”, but how can kids do that when there is always people judging you and tearing you down?

Article posted September 16, 2009 at 08:34 PM GMT0 • comment (4) • Reads 69

-               I think that this quote is saying that if people look down upon you for doing something because they think it isn’t as fun or cool as other people might think. I very much disagree with the quote, because I think that if someone enjoys doing something, they should do it even if they are made fun of. In the book Jodee was almost pressured to do badly in class just so her classmates wouldn’t make fun of her and think she was “uncool” for being smart. Luckily she went with her gut and did really well. But her classmates were cruel and made fun of her still.

-               I can relate to this quote because once my friend stopped dressing a certain way and doing her make-up a specific way because everyone made fun of her for it. (especially guys) It used to make me so angry because she would get her feelings hurt every time this one boy said something to her. So she totally changed herself and her physical appearance just so she wouldn’t be made fun of. Everyone always says “be yourself”, but how can kids do that when there is always people judging you and tearing you down?

-               Some situations this quote might take place in real life would be if you were really smart, good at sports or physical appearances.  There are many others that are talents and not things that should be made fun of.

Article posted September 18, 2009 at 08:14 PM GMT0 • comment (3) • Reads 61

"If you're good at something the popular crowd deems "uncool", you are sunk."

This quote is very true if u do one thing wrong you will be thought of as uncool.but i dont care if people think i'm uncool i would still do wat i'am good at.

My friend was very good at hockey. But all the popular kids thought it was uncool. so he quit just to fit in and i dont think its right for him to quit what he's good at. I think this takes place among the smart people i think they get picked on for beimg smart.

Article posted September 16, 2009 at 08:20 PM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 78

“If you are good at something the popular crowd deems “uncool”, you are sunk”

I agree that if you are good at something then you aren’t cool because, in the book it says that they don’t think she’s cool because, she good at giving speeches. I think that is very stupid to think people are not cool because there good at something because, to me it’s a good thing to be good at something. And everyone is good at something, so is everyone not cool? How is it fare that certain people decide that certain things are cool anywise?!

Article posted September 17, 2009 at 08:05 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 74

1) "If you're good at something the popular crowd deems 'uncool', you are sunk." :   Sometimes when you're good at something the popular crowd might make fun of you because they think it's "uncool." Or they could just be jealous of your capabilities because you might be better at it than they are.           - I was once in a situation where I was at 4-H camp and this girl that was in my cabin from another county was really good at chugging a 2-liter bottle of pop but the other girls in the cabin thought she was weird, even though she was really nice.

Like when she goes to the bathroom these three girls come in and start talking and then they start talking to Jodee and then they pulled out a cigarette. Then they lit it and started to pass it around to her friends and then she asks Jodee if she wanted a puff and she told them she had a cold. Then the bell rang so she put it out and went to their next class then the popular girl said see you later. She joined the speech team and when she said her speech in 1st hour people started whispering about her. Then when class was over she was going to her next class and then someone was saying her name behind her and it was a heavy set girl and she told Jodee that was a nice speech you said. Then she asked Jodee if she wanted to go to the mall with her and Jodee said yes. Then they said see you later and went to there next period.

I don't have a real life situation but here is an example:  Billy is the chess champion of Kansas and he loves to play chess. His friends think it's a sissy game and they tease him about been the chess champion of Kansas. But he keeps on playing it because he loves it and his real friends don't tease him.

It could apply at any one's school or in the town where they live.     

Article posted September 17, 2009 at 08:25 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 83

“If you’re good at something the popular crowd deems “uncool” ,you are sunk.”

I think this happens a lot but I don’t think it is right. Some people are really good at subjects in school and if the teacher is asking questions during class and you know the answer you might be scared that you will be made fun of if you answer. You shouldn’t be scared to show you are good at something. If someone makes fun of you for being good at something they are really just jealous.

I have this friend Josh. At practice some of the older guys started picking on him. It made him really mad and he didn’t know why they were doing it. At lunch one day they even threatened to gang up on him. He told a teacher the problem and he told the other boys to stop or else they would be in trouble and that fixed the problem.

In life I think this mainly happens when kids are really smart and still want to be friends with the popular crowd. Sometimes the smart kids are the popular crowd but other time the kids that aren’t such a good influence are. If a group isn’t willing to accept you for who you are you shouldn’t change yourself to fit in.

Article posted September 16, 2009 at 08:25 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 73

“If you’r good at something the popular crowd deems “uncool”, you are sunk.”

When I read the quote above the thing that first comes to my mind is when Jodee wanted so hard to fit in that she was going to fail speech class. When I read that it made me feel so sad you should not have to do that just to have friends, that is not how someone should be treated. My friend Jane was really smart and wanted to be in knowledge bowl but the “cool kids” labled it as a nerdy thing. So she ended up not even going out for it. Nobody should have to do that who cares that someone wants to be in knowledge bowl it is their choice not someone elses, and how would they know it was nerdy they never even went out for it.

The areas of life that this quote comes out is like when someone is good at something but what they are good at is labled stupid or dumb and that person wants to fit in so badly but, so they do not go out for it. Just because they want to fit in, that is not right. Or it might even be like when somebody gets older they want to be a teacher or something and the “cool kids” think that, that job is for weird people and nerdy people. Who cared they are not going to be the ones doing that bob.

Article posted September 16, 2009 at 08:32 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 69

"A person should experience a nervous reaction if she is worried about failing, not because she's scared of suceeding."

When i read this quote it reminded me of when Jodee did not know if she should fail the speech just because she did not want to be labled smart, she wanted to be labled "cool."  Somebody should not have to fail there favorite class just so that they can have friends, they should have friends not matter what they are good at. The quote applies to "April is a good student of the social teacher, she is a good student, excels in sports and is a hard worker." I think that maybe it means that if the "cool kids" in Aprils school think that sports are for weird people that April is going to quite even thought she is good at it. Or maybe she is going to start failing her classes to fit in or be a bad student to fit in. She should not have to do that just to fit in.

Article posted September 17, 2009 at 08:17 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 84

I think that this quote is true, but I don’t think its right. Just because you’re good at something that the popular people don’t like or aren’t good at doesn’t mean you should be thought of as a nerd or weird person. The popular people should learn to like you so they could get help from you, then they could be good at it.

In the 4th grade a girl in my class was having a birthday party at the YMCA. Everyone could go but Sara. Everyone thought that Sara was weird because she couldn’t go and made fun of her. After a while of making fun of her, it turned into a lot more than name calling. Each group started making chants and singing them as loud as they could around the other people. We later realized that just because Sara couldn’t go to the party didn’t mean that she was weird.

This quote applies to areas like school, sports, and jobs. If you are good at your job, but some people think your job is weird, they might not like you. If you enjoy doing odd crafts and you’re good at them, people might not think that you’re “cool”. I think that if you’re good at something you like doing, you should stick to it.

Article posted September 18, 2009 at 01:18 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 71

“If you’re good at something the popular crowd deems “uncool”, you are sunk”

This quote is very true. It makes me feel sad. When I see people teasing someone for doing what they like to do, I am sad and mad. I have seen this happen and wish I could do something to help. Maybe I could encourage them and be their friend. Jodee, in this book was brave when she made the speech in speech class even though kids teased her. I think she was encouraged by the teacher and that helped her be brave. So, if I encourage other kids maybe that will help.

I have not had this happen to me but I have seen others get teased. So, I know it happens at school.

"If you're good at something the popular crowd deems "uncool", you are sunk."   This quote to me seems unfair. People should just except you for the way you are or what you are good at. Everyone should be able to express themselves in whatever way they want to, without being made fun of. In a book we are reading, a girl named Jodee is bullied at her school. She is starting high school and just wants to fit in. She is very good at making speeches, but is afriad to be named "teachers pet" for doing well at it in her class. She is willing to get a bad grade just to fit in. This makes me feel sorry for her, because she shouldn't be made fun of for doing well at something. I think this quote could applies well at schools, because this is a place, to me, where more people are afriad to be themselves, and they want to fit in.

"A person should experience a nervous reaction if she is worried about failing, not because she's scared of succeeding."   I think that a person should be more worried about failing rather than succeeding. It is good to succeed, and no one should be scared of it, or made fun of for it. This quote can relate to a scenario about a girl named April. She is the Social Studies teacher's daughter, she's good at sports, a hard worker, and is a good student. April should not be ashamed of exceling at these things. She has talents and that is not something to be made fun of for. She should still try to do her best.

It mean's that they think you are a stuip person. 2. when you get up ion front of a crowd you act diffrently then you normally would.

real life.     1.I am good at tennis but people make fun of that because it isn't a "manly" sport.  2. Makeing foun of an older person person for doing something the souldn't matter.  3. Not being the jock o the class.

If you're good at something you do, how you do something, or why you do the good things that you do, sometimes people feel antimidated/scared, because they might mot be as good as you, or they want to try to make themselves look good. When you're trying to hang with the "cool kids," they might also feel insecure/ jealous of your talents. I think that the kids that wish they could be like the other (cool kids), should relize that in the end, it won't matter who was friends with who or  what type of clothes that you wore. Even though it would probably be hard to deal with not being in a (clique), or be called uncool, it wouldn't matter, because you're in school only for a short time, and your not in school just to socialize or talk about who's cooler than who.

Sally, was good at sports, had good grades, and was very well liked by others, but not by what was considered (the cool kids). The problem was, that Sally decided that she would only do things if the group of (cool kids) were doing, and if they didn't get good grades in all of their classes, then Sally would do their homework for them, or she would let the others cheat off of her, just so Sally could become (cool.) After awhile, Sally's old friends started to try to follow the other girls too. Sally never got to be one of the (cool kids), and ended up with bad grades, getting in trouble with the principal, and other negative things too, because Sally was trying to fit in with the (cool kids) so hard, instead of trying to get good grades and be her own person.

I think that this quote applies in areas such as school, and in sports, because by the time you get working, there might be some groups, but you wouldn't have enough time to socialize/ chat, as you do when you're in school.

Article posted September 17, 2009 at 08:11 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 65

I don’t think it matters what the so called popular crowd deems worthy. Because most of the time they are just jealous and think they have to make fun to get a head of you. And if the popular crowd is the one making all the decisions then everyone will be at the mercy of what movie stars think they should do and we would have more dare devils than scientists. If the star athletes are smart then why do they get teased because the smart people get scholarships.

Jodee would would wear tight clothes and high heels that were four inches high just to fit in. And Jodee didnt even want to eat because she wanted her stomach to be flat. And her speech teacher wanted her to give a speech and Jodee didnt know wheather to give a good spech or not. Because she didnt want to be the school nerd.

"If you're good at something the popular crowd deems 'uncool', you are sunk"

* My opinion on being good at something and being made fun of for it just makes me want to get better. People can call me "uncool" but atleast I'm not picking on other kids for being good at something I'm not.

* One time Ashlynn was sitting in her math class and she was at the board working out a problem until Bethany blurted out "Your such a nerd." Then te whole class began laughing. Ashlynn went home after Track practice and cried. Then the next day she failed her math test on purpose so people would stop making fun of her.

* I think this quote would go for everyone because you should just be yourself. Don't be afraid being "uncool" Just because you can do something no one else can do as good. Everyone has different talents and other just need to understand that.

“if you’re good at something the popular crowd deems ”uncool”, you are sunk.”

If you are good at something go on with it, don’t let people put you down like that and that is what they are wanting, that is what exactly those girls did to Jodee. Another reason you should keep going on with what you are good at is because they are most likely not as good at that subject as you are and they are just jealous, looking back at the book those girls when they passed to note you can tell right there, they were just jealous because the first thing probably came to their mind is”She was good.” So they just don’t want to be humiliated like that.

Well this quote reminds me of my old school. Well when I was in 7th grade and we just started basketball and everything was going well, we went 13-1. During the year we have on player for each grade that’s gets chosen for Player of the Season, well there was girl named Katie she was in the same class I was, we were pretty good friends. We were good friends until she was talking to her friend and wasn’t really whispering and the whole locker room heard her say, “ Abbi doesn’t deserve that, she ain’t as good as me and you.” They all told me you should tell the teacher but I said, “It’s not worth it.” They never apologized ever and I never came up to them and said anything and I never spoke of the incident again.

I think this quote comes up in different areas. Some are of the areas are maybe that you are good at a sport, school, or another activity.

Article posted September 16, 2009 at 08:26 PM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 83

I agree that that is true. It makes me really angry that Jodee's own friend would turned her back on Jodee just because Jodee wanted to hang out with the girl that was deaf. One time I had a friend in my old school and we were BEST friends. I became friends with her enemy so she got really angry at me and siad that we are no longer friends. It made me very angry that she would do that. So we were never friends agian. She never talked to me after that day. This quote applies to the are you popular area because no one really knows whos the judge of whos popular. Some may say the popular ones. Some may say its up to the jocks to decide. Know one really knows.

Hi, and i live in Kansas.My nickname is Madi. I ♥ horses and i can ride horses very good. I also ♥ volleyball, but i am not that good at it. I have 2 sister and i brother. I have the most awsomest friends in the world!!!!♥