Copyright (c) 2014 by SA Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
SA -- Blogmeister

~♥!Sam's Blog!♥~-

Doniphan West Middle School Computer Classes

by SA teacher: Mrs. Gatz

•(Blog C): Which student created question(s) would you like to have spent more time discussing and why?

A question I would have liked to spent more time on discussing was, “What would you do if you were Jodee and you had to be in surgery for 6-8 hours?” My reason is because there were only a few comments made on that question and I think it could have created more good discussion.

• (Blog B): What student created questions did your group agreed upon and justify?

Our group agreed on the question, “Why do you think Jodee doesn’t want to transfer schools?” Our group answer was she didn’t want to run away from her problems and give her bullies the satisfaction of hurting her. Another question we agreed on was, “What was your opinion on Jodee telling her deformity to her roommate?” Our group discussed that her roommate thought there was nothing to be ashamed of being different and that she understood Jodee because she used to get teased for being taller than her classmates.

• (Blog A): What student created questions in your group generated the most discussion and justify?

One of the topics of discussion was, “What do you think will happen to Jodee at the writer’s workshop?” One student answered she would have more things in common with the other kids like writing, and speeches. Another topic of discussion was, “Why do you think Jodee’s Greek teacher was being so strict?” One student said she wanted Jodee to be committed and serious to learning the language because it was a difficult language to learn. I thought the writer’s workshop Jodee had attended was a good place for her to go to and be herself without being teased or taunted.

-One responsibility of an American citizen is to vote. Voting is a very important key in having a strong national government. It is also important to vote for your community because when you vote, your voting for a person who you think would be a good leader of something, like class president, mayor of your town, senators for your state, governor of your state (and other state offices,) and then the president and vice-president of the country. When you turn 18, you have the right to vote for federal officials, and your state officials. We sometimes take the freedoms and rights given to us for granted and don't know how lucky we have our equal laws compared to other countries, where there is not much equal power based on gender, religion, etc.

-Another responsibility we have is to voice your opinion. This could mean like if you wanted to change a law in your state, you could inform your state representatives about it to take it to Congress, you could also say what you're thinking, whatever the issue is, out loud in a peaceful matter. Or you could also voice your opinion by taking a bill to Congress through your representative, and if it's a good enough bill, it could be passed and made into a new law.

-One more responsibility of a U.S. citizen is to accept responsibilities for your actions. If a person commits a crime, they would need to take in their punishment as a responsible person rather than run from it or deny it. Sometimes a person really doesn't want the crime to be on their record, so they have to wait awhile and pay a certain amount of money to get it removed.

"What would you have done if you were at a party of this nature?"

- If I were at a party of that kind of nature, I would have not been part of the game that they were playing, like Jodee. I also would've probably tried to get everyone to play a different game, because they were too young to be doing "that stuff."

"How could Jodee have reacted differently which could have changed her outcome?"

- Jodee could've reacted differently by trying to get them to stop playing that game, or play a different game. It would've changed the outcome of the party, because then the parents wouldn't be involved and they wouldn't have gotten in trouble.

"Should Jodee be blamed for the punishments the students received from their parents?"

- I think Jodee shouldn't be blamed for the punishments her classmates got from their parents because she was just trying to get her mom to come and get her, which led into Callie's mother coming upstairs and then calling the other parents. It also wasn't her fault because it was the other kids' decision to play the game, not Jodee's.

"How do you feel you would have been punished if you had been one of the students at this party?"

- If I were one of those students at this party, my social life would have been taken away for a very long time. I would have no friends over, and vice-versa, and I would only get to go directly to school, and directly back home. My parents would also not trust me anymore, and think that I can't handle myself. Or that I wouldn't have any self-esteem.

"Do you feel the treatment Jodee's receiving classmates is fair?"

No, I do not think the treatment Jodee's classmates are giving her is not fair at all. She just wanted to go home and it wasn't her fault Callie's mom came up and stopped the party. Callie and the other classmates, besides Debbie and Peter, need to learn to forgive and forget, and leave the past in the past.

TOPICS:

1) A topic that created heavy debate was when someone asked the question, "Was Jodee happy transferring to a new school?"  There was still discussion over yes, she was happy and/or no, she wasn' t happy when she had to transfer to a new school.

2) Things that our group disagreed on were whether or not to disagree or agree with the teacher that told Jodee's parents it was her fault she wasn't fitting in with the other kids. In my opinion, it was pretty much their fault by teasing and ridiculing her in the first place, but mostly not Jodee's fault.

3) A question that made me really think about for awhile was, "Do you think Jodee's parents made the right decision by taking her to a different school instead of facing the problem?" This question had made me think a little bit more because Jodee's parents were kind of setting a bad example by running away from the problem and sending the message to the kids that were bullying Jodee that bullying was okay. But I think they just wanted Jodee to feel like when she came to school, she wouldn't have to be scared, so that's why they started fresh and transferred her.

"It was either shun or be shunned. The meaner you were to the 'rejects' the more popular you became with the members of your clique."

-I think it means that you'd be mean to other people who weren't in your 'group' because to your friends they wouldn't be important enough. But if they're always nice to you then it's hard to be nice to them back without being ridiculed by your friends.

-I disagree with this quote because it's just plain obvious that your friends who want you to be mean to someone are clearly not worth being friends with if all they're going to do is tease and ridicule people all the time. Sometimes it may be hard though because you could pressured into being mean to someone you don't want to hurt, but you could end up losing a friend either way.

-I have seen this happen once when my friends( Lucky and Luckier ) were teasing this other girl ( Sunshine ) and then right after they were done, they turned to this other girl ( Pickle ) and expected respect, but got nothing. I thought it was pretty funny they were ignored by Pickle, but I still asked Sunshine if she was okay and to forget about them. ( This happened at 4-H camp during the summer.)

Article posted September 17, 2009 at 08:12 PM GMT0 • comment (3) • Reads 85

2) "A person should esperience a nervous reaction if she is worried about failing, not because she's scared of succeeding."       In several situations, some people are pressured into purposely doing the wrong thing, and are worried about getting an 'A'. But those people should take advantage of what they're good at and succeed, instead of trying to "fit in" by doing your worst. Because people who try their hardest, but still fail are the ones that exclude those who purposely fail.       - Since one of April's parents is a school teacher, she gets good grades, and excels in sports, she might feel like she has to get bad grades on papers or do something wrong in practice, just to feel like she "fits in." Also since one of her parents are school teacher, she also might have to always get good grades and stay active with sports.

Article posted September 17, 2009 at 08:05 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 81

1) "If you're good at something the popular crowd deems 'uncool', you are sunk." :   Sometimes when you're good at something the popular crowd might make fun of you because they think it's "uncool." Or they could just be jealous of your capabilities because you might be better at it than they are.           - I was once in a situation where I was at 4-H camp and this girl that was in my cabin from another county was really good at chugging a 2-liter bottle of pop but the other girls in the cabin thought she was weird, even though she was really nice.

Article posted September 9, 2009 at 08:29 PM GMT0 • comment (3) • Reads 89

I'd rate my summer as an 8. I rated it an 8 because it was a pretty good summer, but some of it was kind of boring. The activities I got to do this summer was go to birthday parties, have cook-outs with my family, play sports, SWIM, and the 4-H Fair. My only vacation this summer was going to Table Rock Lake in Arkansas and visit friends there on the 4th of July. The worst time of the summer was when school started up again and I had to wake up to an alarm at 6 in the morning!

My favorite color is purple! I love to play sports! I like to cook when I have nothing else to do! :)