Copyright (c) 2014 by Jolly Rancher Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Jolly Rancher -- Blogmeister

2008-2009

We are excited for a new way to share some of our writing with you. Enjoy! Locations of visitors to this page

by Jolly Rancher

teacher: Molly McGraw

Title: Read Your Heart Out (02/03/09)
Description: Choice #1 = Publish your book talk paragraph.
Choice #2 = Publish your "Top Ten" books that you've read so far in 4th grade.

1. Seekers; Erin Hunter; I had lots of very good inferences in this book.

2. Tunnels; Gordon Williams; It is very mysterious & it scared the GUTS out of me.

3. The Candy Shop War; Brandon Mull; It has lots of new words & it is very exciting. You should read it.

4. Diary of a Wimpy Kid 3; Jeff Kinney; This is the 2nd book I read in the series. It is hilarious.

5. Swindle; Gordon Korman; It has a lot of action & stealing. I love this book.

6. Black Dragon Codex; R.D.HenHam; I like this book because it has dragons & lots of action.

7. Dark Day in the Deep Sea; Mary Pope Osborne; I love Merlin Missions because I think there better than the original ones.

8. The Mistmantle Chronicles; M.I.McAllister; This book inspired me to read the whole series. This is an awesome book.

9. Hachiko Waits; Leslea Newman; It’s a great book about a dog who never gave up hope.

10. Spider Wick; Tony DiTerlizzi; I like this book because it is very enchanting.

1.The Knight at Dawn; Mary Pope Osborne

I really like the book because I really like adventure.

2.Night of the Ninjas; Mary Pope Osborne

I like the book because Jack and Annie sneak away from home.

3.Dolphins at Daybreak ; Mary Pope Osborne

I would want to swim with dolphins because it looks fun.

4.Buffalos before Breakfast; Mary Pope Osborne

I would not want to go into a herd of buffalos.

5.Stink and the Incredible Super Galactic Jawbreaker; Megan McDonald

I really like the funny comics.

6.Stink and the Incredible Shrinking kid; Megan McDonald

I like this book because he gets free stuff.

7.Diary of a Wimpy Kid – The Last Straw; Jeff Kinney

I like the funny pictures in this book.

8.Mummies at Morning; Mary Pope Osborne

I like this book because I always wanted to see a mummy.

9.Christmas at Camelot; Mary Pope Osborne

I had a self to text connection with Jack and Annie.

10.Brian’s Hunt; Gray Paulson

I like the bloody and gory parts.

3/10/09

1. Misty of Chincoteague; Marguerite Henry

I really thought it turned into an adventure when 2 children decided to tame the wildest horse on the island, Misty’s mother.

2. Paint the Wind; Pam Munoz Rian

There was a real problem when Maya was trapped in the wilderness with a broken ankle!

3. Chase; Jessie Haas

It was a mystery when someone was spying on a boy named Phin. Phin was wondering why he was being spied on.

4. Julie of the Wolves; Jean Craighead George

I liked it when Julie found a way to talk to wolves when she was lost on the tundra.

5. The Black Stallion; Walter Farley

I loved the description in this book.

6. The Young Black Stallion; Steven Farley

I love how they talk about the black stallion when he was still a foal back in Arabia.

7. White Fang; Jack London

This book had a lot of action in it.

8. King of the Wind; Marguerite Henry

There was a lot of mysteries, action and excitement in this book!

9. Justin Morgan Had a Horse; Marguerite Henry

I think this is a very detailed story.

10. Black Star, Bright Dawn; Scott O’Dell

It was a real surprise when a moose came running right at Bright Dawn. This book was full of surprises!

Read your heart out

1. Homework Machine; Dan Gutman

I like this book because it is like a mystery but lots of people are telling their story because the police want to know everything about their story.

2. Whittington; Alan Armstrong

It is a cool book because the animals are talking and telling the story in Whittington.

3. Archers Quest; Linda Sue Park

I like this book because it has lots of history and time travel.

4. Clementine; Sara Penny Packer

I like this book because it’s really silly like when Clementine colors her friends hair.

5. Mr. Chickee’s Funny Money

I like this book because it’s full of mystery!

6. My Name is Sally Little Song; Brenda Woods

I like this book because it is full of adventure. Like when the family runs away.

7. Tales of a Forth Grade Nothing; Judy Blume

I liked how Fudge was always being funny!

8. Series of an Unfortunate Events # 1; Lemeny Snicket

I like it because there’s always danger and where there’s danger, there’s a mystery.

9. Series of an Unfortunate Events # 2; Lemeny Snicket

I like it because the professor discovers a new reptile.

10. True Blue; Jeffrey Lee

I like it because two kids do a science experiment on butterflies.

Top Ten Books

3/10/09

1. Because of Winn Dixie; Kate DeCamillo. I had a great visual image while I was reading this book because India Opal moved to a new town and she felt welcomed.

2. Tales Of Despereaux; Kate DeCamillo. I really enjoyed this book because Desperox goes on an adventure to rescue his true love.

3. Diary of a Wimpy Kid 3; Jeff Kidney. This book is a comedy about Greg Hefley, and what he writes in his diary.

4. Kira Kira; Cynthia Kadohata. This book is a sad and peaceful book about a girl and her sister who are really close.

5. Miraculous Journeys of Edward Tulane; Kate DeCamillo. This book is about a journey that a china rabbit takes.

6. Road to Paris; Nikki Groms. This is a sad book. The plot is very interesting about a girl who runs away from home.

7. The Homework Machine; Dan Gutman. I liked this book because it was a book about a smart kid who owned a homework machine.

8. Matilda; Rahl Dahl. This book had funny characters like Mrs.Honey, Mrs.Tronchbull, and Matilda.

9. Jane Goodall And the Life of Chimps; Jane Goodall. This book is about Jane Goodall and how she studies chimps.

10. Marley And Me; John Grogan. This book is sad but a great adventure.

1. The Name of This Book Is Secret; Pseudonymous Bosch.

This book has a lot of action. Especially when Cass dropped a scented vial into a pyramid.

2. Diary of a Wimpy Kid; Jeff Kinney

This book was very funny when Greg hung up his school election posters.

3. Diary of a Wimpy Kid Roderick Rules; Jeff Kinney

This book was hilarious when Greg and his dad got into a big fight about video games.

4. Room 1; Andrew Clements

I never got bored of this book. It had a lot of surprises in it like when they found out that April was living in the abandoned house.

5. The School Story; Andrew Clements

I love this book because I really connected with the main character Ashley when she spilled all the water in her water bottle in class.

6. Frindle; Andrew Clements

This book was very mysterious and exiting. Especially when he gets the word frindle in the dictionary.

7. Snow Treasure; Marie McSwigan

I liked this book because it’s historical fiction about the battle between Germany and Norway.

8. Don’t Look Now; Lauren Child

I could really connect with the main character Rose and her struggle to say goodbye to a best friend that was moving away.

9. The Lemonade Trick; Scott Corbett

I really liked this book because a lot of mysterious things happened like when the lemonade started to make different people act weird.

10. Gossamer; Lois Lowry

I loved this book because of the suspense. For example when the horde came bursting through the wall.

Marshmallow

3-10-09

Top 10 Books

1. Seekers; Erin Hunter

I really enjoyed this book because it was really suspenseful and I liked hearing about the 3 bears.

2. Little House on The Prairie; Laura Ingalls Wilder

This was a really great book about Laura when she was a girl. I liked how she was writing about her life as a girl.

3. Listening For Loins; Gloria Welan

This was a wonderful book about a girl named Rachael. I could really relate with her love for animals.

4. Year of The Dog; Grace Lin

I loved this book because it was telling about a year of the girl’s life and I’m the same age as the girl in the book.

5. Nancy Drew Without a Trace; Carolyn Keene

This is a new Nancy Drew book. This book is very suspenseful about Nancy and her friends trying to crack the case of a zucchini smasher and a stolen Faberge egg.

6. One Golden Year; Coleen Hubbard

I connected with the girl who had a golden retriever because I have one too and know how smart these dogs are.

7. Who Was Thomas A. Edison; Margaret Frith

I enjoyed this book because it was intresting and it tolled about Thomas Edison and I really like hearing about famous people.

8. Hate That Cat; Sharon Creech

I loved all the poetry in this book, and I liked how there was a cat in it.

9. A Dogs Life; Ann M. Martin

I liked this story because it has a dog and I love dogs and it made a great mental image.

10. Who Was Albert Einstein; Jess Brallier

I liked reading about a person I already knew a little bit about, but now learned a lot about. This was a very interesting book.

Would you be surprised to know that one of the most popular children’s authors was a d- kid who flunked the 9th grade? He did. But that changed when a librarian took him under her wig and made him love books. Since then he has written more then 175 books! He thinks it is strange that so many of his books are being used in school but he was such a poor student him self. If you want to know more about Gary Paulsen read this book.

I recommend this book to any body who wants to read the hatchet series.

3/10/09

Top 10 books

1. Earthquake Terror; by Peg Kehret I love this book because Amy, and her brother almost died.

2. Guts; by Gary Paulson This book tells about Gary Paulson’s adventurous life in detail.

3. Don’t Bump the Glump; Shel Silverstein. The #1 reason I love this book is the made up animals, like the Twenty-Eight-Ton Gheli.

4. Runny Babbit; Shel Silverstein. I love this book because the author turned the letters around to make funny words.

5. Hatchet; Gary Paulson Has so much action as Brian tries to survive in the wilderness.

6. Diary Of A Wimpy Kid; Jeff Kinney I really like this book because funny things happen to Greg.

7. Diary Of A Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules; Jeff Kinney I like this book because Greg is in a all new story.

8. Diary Of A Wimpy Kid: The Last Straw; Jeff Kinney I like this book because you don’t know if Greg gets shipped to military school.

9. The Grim Grotto; Lemony Snicket I love the suspense as Sunny Beaudelaire almost dies.

10. Tales of Beedle The Bard; J.K. Rowling The #1 reason I love this book is Dumbledore’s notes about each story.

1. Leven Thumps: The Gateway to Foo; Obert Skye

I connected with Leven and his uncertainty to help.

2. Ranger’s Apprentice: The Ruins Of Gorlan; John Flanagan

It shows you the perspective Of Halt, Will, and Horace.

3. Leven Thumps: The Whispered Secret; Obert Skye. I liked it because Winter was EXTREMELY funny.

4. Artemis Fowl; Eoin Colfer.

I liked it because it had magical creatures.(I like magic.)

5. Leven Thumps: The Wrath of Ezra; Obert Skye.

You don’t know what Dearth is going to do.

6. Artemis Fowl: Arctic Incident; Eoin Colfer. The character Mikhail is mysterious.

7. Ranger’s Apprentice: The Burning Bridge; John Flanagan. It introduces Cassandra well. (New Character.)

8. Ranger’s Apprentice: Icebound Land; John Flanagan.

I like it because Erak is helpful.

9. Artemis Fowl: Eternity Code; Eoin Colfer.

I like it because Holly, Root, Artemis, and Butler have to work together.

10. Ranger’s Apprentice: Battle for Skandia; John Flanagan.

I like it because the action is intense. Will, Horace, and Cassandra almost died.

The book Gossamer is about an adventurous dream giver named Littlest One. She is assigned to a house to give dreams to an elderly woman. She has a creative mind and has to face the evil Sinisteeds who gather in a horde. Sinisteeds give nightmares and cause trouble for littlest. To find out what happens next you should read this book.

This book has different points of view that bounce back and forth between characters. John, (The sassy boy who back-talks to his care taker) Has a hidden sense of humor. I think the sad part about this book is that John’s Dad was so mean to him and his Mom when John was a kid.

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes dreams and adventure. Join Littlest and Thin Elderly in this heroic book.

1. Magyk; Angie Sage

I liked this book because of the adventures and mystical creatures the main characters face such as the Bogart. I also liked the made up words like partikuler.

2. The City of Ember ; Jeanne Duprau

I really liked how the author described the main characters, Lina and Doon.

3. Maniac Magee ; Jerry Spinelli

I liked how the author made a funny side and a sad side of Maniac Magee’s story.

4. Walk Two Moons ; Sharon Creech

I liked the detail the author added when describing how the characters looked. For example, she described the character Ben as a funny looking boy in a plaid shirt with brown hair.

5. The View From Saturday ; E.L. Konigsberg

I liked how each character’s point of view carried the story along and when all the characters ended up in the same place, invited to a tea at a Bed and Breakfast.

6. Ida B. And Her Plans to Maximize Fun, Avoid Disaster, and (Possibly) Save the World; Katherine Hannigan

What I liked about this book is that the main character kept trying and finally made her goals.

7. The People of Sparks; Jeanne Duprau

What I liked about this book is the moral. The moral was if you choose to fight you can stop if you do something nice for the other side.

8. The Prophet of Yonwood; Jeanne Duprau

I liked how the moral of this story was to make sure you know what you’re talking about before you tell everyone in town to release your dog to the wild because a delirious wise old woman says NO DOGS.

9. I, Freddy; Dietlof Reichie

What I liked about this book are the humorous guinea pigs, Enrico and Caruso, who always seem to be getting on Freddy’s nerves.

10. The Willoughbys; Lois Lowry

I connected with one of the main characters named Jane because of her struggle to tolerate her brothers.

1. Because of Winn-Dixie; by Kate Di Camillo. I like this book because I really connected with the main character when she found Winn-Dixie. I would also try and convince my mom to let me keep it.

2. Blind Beauty; by K.M. Peyton. I like this book because I like horses and this book is about a race horse who is blind but Tessa the main character and the horses owner love him very much.

3. Little Women; by Louisa Alcott. I like this book because it’s funny when Joe burns her dress while she was sitting by the fire.

4. Shiloh; by Phyllis Naylor. I like this book because I love dogs. But this book is also very sad.

5. Mad for Miley; by Lauren Alexander. I like this book because I like Miley Cyrus because she is very pretty and has a good voice.

6. Tuck Everlasting; by Natalie Babbitt. It was very descriptive when Winnie was sad.

7. Diary of a Whimpy Kid; by Jeff Kinney. It was so funny when Greg wet his pants.

8. Baby Mouse; by Jennifer Holmes. It is such a good book because Baby Mouse is so cute.

9. Tale of Despereaux; by Kate Di Camillo. It is so good because it is funny and Despereaux is a very smart mouse. It always makes it a good story.

10. Ghost of the Graveyard; by Jonathan Rand. I love this book because I love the main character Holly because she is the only girl in the adventure club and she is not afraid to show her feelings.