Copyright (c) 2014 by Derek Milloy Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Derek Milloy -- Blogmeister

Growing Awareness-

Mr. Milloy's Class

We are an intermediate classroom in an elementary school in British Columbia, Canada. We use our blogs as a place to practise expressing our ideas in writing (and maybe even sound, pictures & video when we're ready). We try to leave thoughtful comments for classmates & other bloggers we visit. Comments help us critique our ideas and our writing. They also motivate us to do more thinking, writing, sharing & revising. You can leave your thoughts on any particular article by clicking "comment" below it. Comments will be published after I have had a chance to read them.

by Derek Milloy

Eric Walters, inspiring author for kids
Cynthia Kadohata, author of Kira Kira, Winner of the 2005 Newbery Medal
Mr Fisher's class, Snow Lake, MB

Article posted February 6, 2014 at 01:27 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 3688

Well, it has taken us a while to get to our blogs this year. Between network changes complicating our computer access; other interesting projects eating up our school days; and finding some ways to add interactivity to some of our other online spaces, we just haven't been able to put much writing here.

Today, most of us got our login information and are ready to go. (A couple of us - Hasnain and Simran - have already started to customise the look of our blogs.) We should have articles for our readers in a matter of days.

It hasn't been long since we met each other in our new class. We've worked on getting used to new routines and ways of doing things, and we are getting to know each other. We've had an daily soccer program; we made & shared apple crisp; we had a MAD Science assembly; parents have come to meet teachers, and we had an after school picnic. It is a good idea to look back and reflect on the start of the year while thinking about what is ahead. What are your reflections on our first two weeks together?

School starts tomorrow. I'm excited.

There are plenty of stories in the media about the start of school and people feeling anxious about it. It's natural to wonder what the future will bring. What will it be like? Will it go well? What will people think, do, and say? What if...? The uncertainty can be scary.

Last September, Josh Yandt decided to make a good start to his school year. From his story on CBC's The National, it's safe to say he had more reason than most students to be anxious about it, and he can't have known how things would turn out - none of us can. But he focused on what was within his control: his mindset and his actions. His intentional, consistent, polite actions showed everyone at his school what kind of person he was and how kind their school could be. He made sure he started his year well and helped others have a good year in the process.

I know not every day will be great. I know I'll make mistakes. I know there will be problems. I know I can't just decide that everything will turn out well. Josh couldn't decide what would happen, but he decided what he could do, and so he made a good start and a good year. What kind of year will you have?

Article posted May 5, 2013 at 06:05 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 39

On May 1st, May Day, we went to the movies to watch Rob Stewart's film, Revolution. Mayday indeed! His TED Talk from TEDx WesternU retells his story. Where do leadership & political will come from?

Some folks have asked for help with leaving comments on our blogs. I thought I'd use the question to practise making a how-to screencast. I hope it is helpful.

We are beginning Ben Mikaelsen's book, Touching Spirit Bear.  In just the first few pages, the main character, Cole, makes quite an impression.  Already having a history of run-ins with the law, he has brutally beaten another boy's head into the sidewalk causing severe injuries. He figures he wouldn't be facing a possible jail sentence now if the other boy, Peter, had known how to fight back. What should happen to a boy who does such a thing? What should happen to Cole? Please leave a comment with your reaction. (Students: don't forget to follow our online guidelines ! Please also include a link to your blog.)

Touching Spirit Bear cover

Article posted November 25, 2012 at 08:18 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 35

Jim Toomey is one of my favourite comic strip artists. Young Herman has a good point, but gaining understanding does yield a certain kind of power!

Hawthorne's life lesson for Herman

(This image appeared on shermanslagoon.com for Sunday, November 27th, 2012)

Get Adobe Flash player

We had a wonderful trip to Vancouver's ornate Orpheum Theatre to hear the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra give a program highlighting percussion. Some of us dressed up to make it a more formal (but still very fun) occasion.

When we returned, the kids named & described some of the interesting parts of the performance or a favourite instrument or anything else memorable. We put everything they shared into the word cloud above. I'll let the kids tell our readers more about the experience themselves on their own blogs.

Did you know that Tickets to the VSO can cost as little as just $15 with a TD All-Access pass for youth/students or from the rush line if tickets are left just before the show? Visit the VSO Web site. Live music doesn't have to be expensive.

OK, we're probably not going to become billionaires, but we are working on applications for class jobs and will soon need to learn how to write cheques and manage our finances. That is one place where we apply some of our math skills about place value and describing numbers in different ways. The problems and riddles in this voicethread from a previous class give us a few more chances to practise (with larger numbers than we are likely to see in any of our own bank accounts).

Article posted September 24, 2012 at 05:41 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 35

Our Terry Fox Run will take place on September 28th. While we are learning about his run across Canada, we're wondering what it would feel like to do that much running and put it in terms of running we are used to doing - running around our school grounds.

2013-2014
alumni

We support Pennies for Peace Locations of visitors to this page Click on the Geovisitors link below to see visits in the last 24 hours. Geo Visitors Map