Copyright (c) 2015 by Derek Milloy Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Derek Milloy -- Blogmeister

Growing Awareness-

Mr. Milloy's Class

We are an intermediate classroom in an elementary school in British Columbia, Canada. We use our blogs as a place to practise expressing our ideas in writing (and maybe even sound, pictures & video when we're ready). We try to leave thoughtful comments for classmates & other bloggers we visit. Click "comment" to leave your thoughts on any particular article. Comments will be published after I have had a chance to read them.

by Derek Milloy

Eric Walters, inspiring author for kids
Cynthia Kadohata, author of Kira Kira, Winner of the 2005 Newbery Medal
Mr Fisher's class, Snow Lake, MB
Deborah Hodge, children's author

You might know some/most/all of your times tables, and you might know about lining up columns to multiply a 2-digit number by a 3-digit number. But can you describe (or draw) what multiplication IS? Use the voicethread above to show how you think of multiplication. Understanding what it is and having a few ways to think about it will help us understand it better, get better at using it, and make better decisions about how & when to use it.

We've been talking a lot about the many reasons we don't like Cole Matthews much in Touching Spirit Bear so far. We've talked about the qualities he has and our reasons for not liking him nor much of what he does. That led us to discuss some of the other characters, their qualities (both positive & negative), and evidence from the story to support our opinions. The papers we used in class gave us a place to start recording our thoughts, but our online tools give us more chances to share our ideas, so I thought I'd share our wall of notes here and hope you'll return to see our ideas grow.

Article posted January 14, 2015 at 12:57 AM GMT0 • comment (13) • Reads 1152

The saying, "You are what you eat," may help us remember that our food gives our bodies the building material to grow new cells. But it's also interesting (and important) to remember that what we say and do affects not only how others see us but also the kind of person each of us will become.

A few chapters (3) into our novel, Touching Spirit Bear, we have all started to form opinions about what kind of person Cole Matthews is. Some say that it doesn't matter what other people think about you, but it sure seems like what other people think is going to play a part in what happens to Cole (like whether he goes to jail). And what people in the story and in our class think about Cole definitely comes from what he says and does. (And isn't that also true for all of us!)

In class, we started talking about what words we'd use to describe or characterise Cole and why. It seems a shame to limit those thoughts & words to a particular room at a particular time, so I've invited the class to comment here to share 1) a word that describes Cole 2) and example of words or actions from the story that fit that word 3) what do you think should happen to or be done with Cole. It will be interesting to see our ideas all in one place (and to look back on them later in our reading).