Copyright (c) 2015 by Derek Milloy Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Derek Milloy -- Blogmeister

Growing Awareness-

Mr. Milloy's Class

We are an intermediate classroom in an elementary school in British Columbia, Canada. We use our blogs as a place to practise expressing our ideas in writing (and maybe even sound, pictures & video when we're ready). We try to leave thoughtful comments for classmates & other bloggers we visit. Click "comment" to leave your thoughts on any particular article. Comments will be published after I have had a chance to read them.

by Derek Milloy

Eric Walters, inspiring author for kids
Cynthia Kadohata, author of Kira Kira, Winner of the 2005 Newbery Medal
Mr Fisher's class, Snow Lake, MB
Deborah Hodge, children's author

You might know some/most/all of your times tables, and you might know about lining up columns to multiply a 2-digit number by a 3-digit number. But can you describe (or draw) what multiplication IS? Use the voicethread above to show how you think of multiplication. Understanding what it is and having a few ways to think about it will help us understand it better, get better at using it, and make better decisions about how & when to use it.

We've been talking a lot about the many reasons we don't like Cole Matthews much in Touching Spirit Bear so far. We've talked about the qualities he has and our reasons for not liking him nor much of what he does. That led us to discuss some of the other characters, their qualities (both positive & negative), and evidence from the story to support our opinions. The papers we used in class gave us a place to start recording our thoughts, but our online tools give us more chances to share our ideas, so I thought I'd share our wall of notes here and h