Copyright (c) 2014 by Mr. Ullrich Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Mr. Ullrich -- Blogmeister

Exploring Earth Science

8th Grade Science

Welcome to Mr. Ullrich's Blog! This blog is for 8th Grade Earth Science and Physical Science students. We will learn topics such as Astronomy, Geology and Meteorology. This blog will give us a place to discuss, learn and develop these topics during the year. If you are not from our class please post lots of comments!

by Mr. Ullrich

No Links added yet!

Article posted January 20, 2010 at 08:38 PM GMT-5 • comment (9) • Reads 81

One of the most important and highly debated scientific issues is global warming. Most scientists feel that global warming has the potential to have a serious impact on world climate. The global climate has risen over the past hundred years. The question is, has it risen because of human activities or is this simply a natural warming cycle? There are some who feel that carbon dioxide emissions will have very little impact on the Earth’ climate. What do you think? Have you ever read about global warming? One thing that is for sure is that there are no clear cut answers. I can’t wait to see what you think in our next assignments. Here are a few videos to get you started :)

For Global Warming:

Against Global Warming:

Article posted December 15, 2009 at 06:28 PM GMT-5 • comment (14) • Reads 61

This is a cool site to check out if you are into traveling. You can mark off the places you have visited and generate maps to show your readers where you have traveled. I marked off all the states that I have been to, still a few left though I have been to most of the ones on my need to visit list. As far as the rest of the world, I still have my work cut out! Enjoy :)

create your own personalized map of the USA

or write about it on the open travel guide

Article posted December 6, 2009 at 06:17 PM GMT-5 • comment (7) • Reads 52

The Geminids Meteor Shower will be visible on the 13/14th of December.  It shold be spectacular.  In Herricks, we are hampered by light pollution because of our close proximity to the city.  With a clear view of the sky as many as 100 meteors per hour can be visible.  The best time to view the shower will be between midnight and dawn Monday morning.  I included a map of the southern sky below.   Enjoy

Geminids Meteor Shower Radiant

Article posted November 4, 2009 at 09:07 AM GMT-5 • comment (6) • Reads 47

Article posted March 9, 2009 at 05:20 PM GMT-5 • comment (11) • Reads 54

I wanted to put this video up on the main blog page. This video was an air pressure experiment that we did in class last week. Mumti was nice enough to make it into a video and put it online for us! If you try the experiment be careful and make sure you get permission from your parent or guardian, don’t have anything flammable around and wear your safety goggles.

Enjoy :)

Article posted March 3, 2009 at 06:49 PM GMT-5 • comment (2) • Reads 44

Time is flying by!

I can’t believe it is already March! It doesn’t feel like spring yet but it is close :)

Your next assignment is up, on renewable energy. It should be fun to see what you find. There are lots of options out there. Some times the drawbacks outweigh the benefits. Think about both sides of your energy source and try to come up with a well developed opinion.

If you have any suggestions for our next blog article (assignment)leave a comment. Try to make it go along with the environmental theme…if we use your idea I will give you extra points!

A video to get the creativity flowing:

Article posted February 5, 2009 at 08:13 PM GMT-5 • comment (2) • Reads 49

For Global Warming:

Against Global Warming:

Article posted December 17, 2008 at 09:58 PM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 46

When you have an audience it is good to get to know them. On a blog this is very true. You want to know about the people reading your blog. In this case your teacher is trying to decide on your test date and see what you think. There are a number of online surveys you can use and post on your blog. They can be fun and many are free. The one I would like to show you is called SurveyMonkey. It is simple and easy to navigate. The website can be used for free. Take the survey below. Would you use it in your own blog? Let me know what you think :)

Click on the link below to take the Survey:

Click Here to take survey

Tutorial on using the website:

Article posted December 9, 2008 at 08:02 PM GMT-5 • comment (2) • Reads 104

An excellent tool that every one should try out is Google Sky. It is an amazing program for anyone interested in learning about space. You can download Google Earth/Sky for free! After you install Google Earth/Sky, just open the program. Near the top of the page there is a small picture of Saturn. When you click on it you switch automatically from Google Earth to Google Sky. Now you can search for any celestial object you would like to view. You can search manually or type a name in the search box and it will automatically move to what you would like to observe. There is an assortment of tools to use, so experiment with it! One of my favorite tools is the education center; make sure it is checked off on the tool bar to the left. Now you can click on many objects and get information, images and even videos! Try it out and let me know what you think :)

Copy and Paste the link below to download Google Earth, which also comes with Google Sky.

[LINK]

Short videos about Google Sky:

Article posted December 2, 2008 at 07:07 PM GMT-5 • comment (13) • Reads 39

Monday December 1st 2008 was a spectacular day to observe the night sky.  When looking up at the waxing crescent moon right after sunset you could clearly see the planets Venus and Jupiter.   As the month goes on they will become harder to see until they are no longer visible.  You can still see them so check it out as this view won't be around again for forty years! 

Here is a link to an article with more information:

www.space.com/spacewatch/081128-ns-moon-jupiter-venus.html

Previous Entries All Entries       All Titles Next Entries

Per1/2 2009
Per2/3 2009
Period 1/2 2011
Period 3/4 2011
Period 5/6 2010
Period2/3 2010