Copyright (c) 2014 by Mr. Ullrich Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Mr. Ullrich -- Blogmeister

Exploring Earth Science

8th Grade Science

Welcome to Mr. Ullrich's Blog! This blog is for 8th Grade Earth Science and Physical Science students. We will learn topics such as Astronomy, Geology and Meteorology. This blog will give us a place to discuss, learn and develop these topics during the year. If you are not from our class please post lots of comments!

by Mr. Ullrich

No Links added yet!

Article posted January 8, 2012 at 08:17 PM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 3818

Earths is Getting Hotter, is Global Warming our Fault?

One of the most important and highly debated scientific issues is global warming. Most scientists feel that global warming has the potential to have a serious impact world climate. The global climate has risen over the past hundred years. The question is has it risen because of human activities or is this simply a natural warming cycle? There are some who feel that carbon dioxide emissions will have very little impact on the Earth’ climate. What do you think? Have you ever read about global warming? One thing that is for sure is that there are no clear cut answers. I can’t wait to see what you think in our next assignments after getting the facts. Here are a few videos to get you started :)

For Global Warming:

Against Global Warming:

Article posted January 8, 2012 at 08:08 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 59

Article posted April 26, 2011 at 03:04 PM GMT-5 • comment (5) • Reads 136

So the end of the year is coming up fast....it is the last day of spring break ALREADY!!!  On that note it is time to study for the regents Exam.  We will do our first practice exam soon and you should start working on the first four exams in your Red Barron's Review Book.  Remember for the Regents it is all about how much you study!   A couple of students have asked me about review classes...I have listed them below if you would like to enroll and get some extra review.  

Molloy Weekly Review:

coned.molloy.edu/ShowSchedule.awp

Adelphi One Day Class:

www.passtheregents.com/nav/subject/lid/1/sid/3/Long_Island_Earth_Science_Exam_Review

Article posted December 23, 2010 at 07:01 PM GMT-5 • comment (7) • Reads 93

I wanted to post some lunar eclipse photos my student Brian H took at around 2am eastern time on Dec. 21st. If you have your own pictures please put them on your blog and leave the link as a comment here so we can all check them out..whoever has the best pictures will earn three group points....and barging rights! :)

Lunar Eclipse

Lunar Eclipse 2

Article posted December 9, 2010 at 06:04 PM GMT-5 • comment (6) • Reads 124

What an amazing month for budding astronomers and science geeks alike...yes I am talking to you ;) This month there is going to be a lunar eclipse, a meteor shower and some spectacular opportunity to view planets. You will be able to see Venus, Mercury and even the rings of Saturn which will be easy to view due to their tilt relative to the Earth. Now all you need to know is when and where to look! You may even want to photograph or shoot video of these events. Watch the video and check out the link for more information. Just don't forget to bundle up and get ready to be impressed!

http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/yss/

Article posted November 16, 2010 at 06:38 PM GMT-5 • comment (9) • Reads 80

Leonid Meteor Shower - 2010 - It looks like we will miss the peak due to inclement weather. I copied an article below that explains the shower as well as a link to the full article. For your enjoyment I also included a video of what the meteor shower looks like....enjoy!

"Wednesday night will be the peak of the 2010 Leonid meteor shower—but North American sky-watchers hoping to see the Leonids at their best will have to set early morning alarms Tuesday night.

Historically the November Leonids deliver one of the most active of the annual meteor showers. Occasionally the Leonids produce bona fide meteor storms, with rates of a few hundred to thousands of shooting stars an hour during the peak. (Get the scoop on last year's Leonids.)

This year's performance is expected to be modest but still a good sky show, with peak rates of up to 20 meteors an hour.

The best viewing dates for this year will be Wednesday and Thursday, with the official peak occurring on Wednesday at midday in North America, a time slot that favors observers in Asia.

"The meteors will appear to radiate from the constellation Leo, the lion, which rises around midnight in the east," said Raminder Singh Samra, resident astronomer at the H.R. MacMillan Space Centre in Vancouver, Canada.

"Meteor activity should pick up closer to early morning hours [in North America on Wednesday] as the Earth plows through the comet debris" that creates the meteor shower, Samra said. (See asteroid and comet pictures.)

No matter the location, observers will have to contend with the moon, which will be close to full and up for most of the night. That means bright moonlight will wash out many of the fainter meteor trails, Samra said.

But the moon will set a couple hours before sunrise, when the most intense part of the shower should start to kick in, he added.

Modest Leonids May Still Surprise

As with other meteor showers, such as the Perseids in August and the Orionids in October, the Leonids are named for the constellation that appears to be the shower's source. (See Perseids pictures.)

In reality, the Leonids, and most other meteor showers, happen when Earth plows through a trail of debris left in the wake of a comet orbiting the sun—in this case, comet Tempel-Tuttle."

Article Author:

Andrew Fazekas

for National Geographic News

Published November 16, 2010

Full Article:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/11/101116-science-space-2010-leonids-meteor-shower-peak-best-sky-show/

Scheduel of 2010 Meteor Showers:

http://stardate.org/nightsky/meteors

Article posted November 11, 2010 at 05:17 PM GMT-5 • comment (12) • Reads 94

In the next few days we will start learning about the moon, its phases, eclipses, and tides.  Our timing couldn't be better!  On December 21st there will be a lunar eclipse vissable from the united states.  It is a great chance to see an amazing astronomical event.  You will have to wake up and bundle up, but it will be worth it!  The best part is that it will be a TOTAL lunar exlipse where the entire moon will enter earths shadow.  Special thanks to Bernatette for her blog on this topic.  I included some pictures and two links.  The first is a pdf showing where and when the eclipse will be vissable and the second is the link to Bernadettes blog.  Check it out and comment!

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/OH/OHfigures/OH2010-Fig04.pdf

http://classblogmeister.com/blog.php?blogger_id=292186&user_id=292186&blog_id=1233470&position2=-1

Article posted October 22, 2010 at 07:07 PM GMT-5 • comment (18) • Reads 160

I love to travel and take photos; I think that photography is a great creative outlet. How many places have you visited in the United States?

In one of my previous articles you can see the states that I have visited. For this challenge see if you can name each state and location. Try to be specific. Hint...I may have used some states more than once. The photos are in number order; see if you can guess all ten places!

Whoever guesses the most correctly will earn three group points. Post your response as a comment. If you are not in one of my classes (class password is herricks)....you will earn my respect...plus it’s fun so give it a try!

1)You wouldn't want to be sent here.

1

2)Very reliable...

2

3)Do you really need a hint?

3

4)A curvy street.

4

5)One of the first national parks.

5

6)Named after part of a volcano (well it actually is a part of one!)

6

7)Surfs up!

7

8)No help needed here!

P5280030

9)It's name starts with Mt. :P

9

10)Note the shape of the rock.

10

Article posted March 14, 2010 at 09:13 PM GMT-5 • comment (2) • Reads 114

I can’t believe how quickly the year is flying by.....you are going to be enjoying your state exams in just a couple of months YaY!!!

I have been having some problems with automated spam comments on our blogs. We are now using a class password. While this is annoying it seems necessary. I would like to keep the password public as I want others to be able to continue to comment on your blogs. If the problem persists I will have to change the password. If you comment on any one else’s blog be sure to give them the password or they will be unable to comment back. Keep blogging, your new assignment is up!

Class Password = herricks

Some cool science song videos you should check out! Which is your favorite?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzvt4EWyz-k&feature=PlayList&p=DA4442FB4444E214&index=4

Article posted February 11, 2010 at 12:04 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 60

I hope you are out enjoying the snow instead of stressing over our test! 

I know you will all be very upset at having to postpone a very enjoyable test ....but in light of the two snow days we will be moving our Topic 7 test to the Tuesday after vacation. 

Let the other students know  :)

Per1/2 2009
Per2/3 2009
Period 1/2 2011
Period 3/4 2011
Period 5/6 2010
Period2/3 2010