Copyright (c) 2014 by GS Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
GS -- Blogmeister

ACME ARSENAL

5A

by GS

teacher: Mrs. B - Grade 5 (2010-2011)

Article posted April 5, 2011 at 10:24 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 135

Goal

Written by GS

Inspired by William Carlos Williams

So much depends

Upon

A game of

Football

When you have

Free kicks

And you need

Goals

Portugal

Written by GS

Inspired by William Carlos Williams

So much depends

Upon

My trip to

Portugal

Right after my

Injury

And we came

Fourth.

Galloping

Written by GS

Inspired by William Carlos Williams

So much depends

Upon

My fifth riding

Lesson

When I began

Galloping

And I wasn’t

scared

Article posted April 1, 2011 at 11:54 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 49

People get so far because they… They get good grades because they… You can get away with trouble because you… So what am I talking about? Listening. So why are listening skills so important?

If you listen you can get really far. It all begins in school. If you don’t listen you don’t understand whatever topic they are talking about. Most of all you fail exams because when you were supposed to listen you where probably talking.

When you listen you understand so much more! Let’s say you have homework and the teacher explained at school but you weren’t listening. When you get home, how are going to do your homework? Another example: You are reading a book and you don’t understand a word so you ask the teacher. While the teacher is explaining, you are talking! And when the teacher is done explaining you don’t know what the word means.

Well, my last reason is… You need good grades to get a good job later on in life. Let’s say you’re math teacher in high school is giving you a lecture a lecture about math for the IB exam and while he is lecturing, your texting with your girlfriend that is on the other side of the room (uncool). Then on the test you don’t know the answers for half the questions. Let’s say you are a business man and you are in a meeting. When the meeting is done, you don’t know what to do.

So I’m telling you from now… If you don’t listen, you will get nowhere in life.

Article posted March 16, 2011 at 11:35 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 74

Last year, I was chosen to go to Portugal with my football team and of course, we had to bring money. My mom wanted to give me 150 euro and I didn’t argue, even though inside I wanted more. On my last week in Lebanon, I went to visit my grandpa and grandma and slept there. She knew I was going to Portugal and so she asked me

“Ghazi, do you have money to take with you to Portugal?”

I answered, “Yes. Why?”

She replied, “Because I want to give you some more money. Let’s go to the exchange desk.”

When we got to the exchange desk, my grandma gave the clerk 200$ so he returned 150 euro.

Now I have 300 euro. On Sunday my mom came to pick me up and go home so I can pack to go to Portugal tomorrow. Right when we were about to enter the apartment, my mom caught sight of the money sticking out of my right pocket (I always put money in my right pocket.)

She asked, “Ghazi, what’s that sticking out of your pocket?”

“Oh-oh”, I said to myself.

I didn’t know what to say. I wanted to say it’s change but I didn’t want to lie so I just said, ”It’s money Grandma gave me. She gave me 150 euro.”

My mom asked, “Why didn’t you just say you wanted more money?”

I replied, “Because I didn’t want to be greedy” So my mom gave me 50 euro and I went to Portugal with 200 euro in my wallet.

Article posted March 16, 2011 at 11:28 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 45

The Dissection of the Heart

Students observed the dissection of the heart and lungs of a sheep, and dissected a sheep heart, as part of the science unit on the circulatory/cardiovascular system. Ms. Salem conducted the dissection.

Have you ever dissected a heart before? I have, and it is Awesome! We dissected the heart of a sheep a couple days ago in class because we are or were learning about the circulatory system. Miss Salem, the 5C teacher did the dissecting because she knew exactly how to do it.

The heart and lung dissection was really awesome! We also dissected the lungs of that poor sheep that got slaughtered and donated his organs to us. Sure, some aggggg and some ehhhhhhh but not something big, personally on behalf of the class I think that that was the best activity I have ever done. Miss Salem blew thought the Trachea that looks like a pipe and inflated the lungs. Have you ever seen your lungs inflated? It is incredible! We saw the inside of the heart that contained; the cordetta (tendons), the aorta (The biggest vessel in the body), the 4 chambers, and the sides were the de-oxygenated blood and oxygenated blood flow. We also saw oxygenated blood and de-oxygenated blood. It looked like little house with 4 rooms . The heart was very hard because it is a muscle. There was also a lot of fat on the heart.

There are quite a few smells and sights that I could live my life happily without seeing like the smell of the heart and lungs, The fatty tissue, and of course the bloodiest heart I have ever seen in my life. I was really looking forward to inflating the lungs but our fortune turned against us and the Trachea (Windpipe) punctured.

All in all I really liked the dissection and I thank Alaa’s mom for getting us the heart and lungs and I thank Mrs. Salem for dissecting the heart and lungs. And I hope we get to dissect more organs. The next lesson is the nervous system and I hope we dissect a brain. Because I am very eager to learn more about the human body.

Article posted March 16, 2011 at 11:23 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 73

I am from

I am from the north of Europe, from the harsh winters and icicles that my tongue would get frozen to. I am from caves in the forest were I light illegal fires and roast marshmallows until it is time to go home. I am from abandoned houses and pretend guns which I use to hack my friends with when they didn’t listen to me. I am from the town diving board over the lake, from 360° front flips and red backs when I made a mistake. I am from football camps from winning a lot of awards and not knowing how to cuss in Norwegian.

I am from waffles in the morning with hot milk and my brother eating as if he has never seen food in his life before. I am from March 24, from a grandpa that carved a sniper rifle out of wood on my seventh birthday, from my cousins and their wooden machine guns and fighting in the forest.

I am from the upper bunk were I read my collection of comic books in Norwegian, from going to bed on bright days and the hot dogs on the grill in the garden. I am from sneaking out of my bedroom at night and spraying shaving cream on my brother’s face, then dipping his hand in cold water so he wet his pants. I am from bubble baths and Santa beards and stuffing my brother underwater.

I am from waking up to the light of the sun gleaming in my eyes, from waiting for my mom to finish taking a shower so I can use the bathroom. I am from playing hide and seek in the attic with my cousins and finding old toys that my mom and uncles played with when they were young.

Where are you from?

Article posted February 17, 2011 at 10:21 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 115

file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5C04-1202%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml" target="_blank">file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5C04-1202%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml" />

file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5C04-1202%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_themedata.thmx" target="_blank">file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5C04-1202%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_themedata.thmx" />

file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5C04-1202%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_colorschememapping.xml" target="_blank">file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5C04-1202%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_colorschememapping.xml" />

Geysers; the Great Water Spout

There are thousands of them in Wyoming. Some spout higher than the Empire State Building. They are so strong that they can generate electricity. Countries are famous because of them. Still don’t know what I am talking about? Geysers! How are these amazing landforms shaped? What are these amazing land forms anyway?              

Water Spouts in the Ground

What do geysers look like? Well geysers look a little like volcanoes except they are a hole in the ground not a hole on the top of a mountain but they can have huge crater. And geysers spout water, not magma (lava). Geysers are holes in the ground, sometimes very big and sometimes very small. For example, Old Faithful(in Yellowstone National Park), the most famous geyser in the world, spouts about 33 meters high every 65 minutes.

Formation

The formation of geysers is not that complicated. Even though it takes a lot of time, once geysers are active, they can last for centuries until the heat source disappears. For a geyser to form you basically need an underwater plumbing system. How are you going to get that? Erosion. Erosion is the movement of the sediments. Water is the main agent of Erosion. So once the underwater chambers and paths are eroded and, water can get in there is one more thing. How do you think the water gets heated up? Volcanic activity! You need recent or present volcanic activity. That also answers why you have them on the edge of continental plates. What is a continental plate? A continental plate is a piece of the crust that is land. That’s why you call it a continental plate. What is the crust? The crust is the outer layer of the earth. The crust is broken into large pieces which are our continents. Who said that? Alfred Wegener. Who is that? He is the one who proposed the theory of continental drift which is the movement of the continents from the convection currents. The second reason is that most geysers are on the borders of the continents are so that water can get in from the oceanic plates. What is an oceanic plate? An oceanic plate is like a continental plate except that it is filled with water. So when the water gets into the chamber, the water gets heated up from the volcanic activity so the water at the bottom of the chamber turns into steam. The water gets in to so much pressure that it explodes.

Vegetation

A lot of animals live next to geysers. For example bison, deer, ducks, and fish and etc. You usually find geysers next to water source for example a hot spring, lake or even the ocean.

You find them there because there is water. When it is next to a hot spring half the work is done because the water is heated! Geysers are useful because they can produce electricity. So countries like New Zealand, They sometimes rely on electricity from the geysers.

Well, basically what will happen is that the heat sources of geysers will disappear and the geysers will deactivate because they have nothing to heat up the water. The most important thing for a geyser is the hot water because that is the only type of water that will explode.                  

My class and I went on a trip to Ramlieh where we stayed at AMFCL Eco lodge for one night. We had a lot of fun there. We did a rope course and we went hiking once in the day and once at night. I brought a pack of cards and whenever we had free time, we played Kent. The rooms were so nice and cozy. And the beds were so comfortable :).

Games

We played a lot of fun games. For example Mr. Andre gave us a piece of clay and we had to make a village out of them.

We had a lot of fun and we did a lot. I really hope we do the trip again.

Article posted November 30, 2010 at 11:55 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 66

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31371840@N06/5145693960/" target="_blank">http://www.flickr.com/photos/31371840@N06/5145693960/" title="Ghazi by ACS5A, on Flickr">Ghazi

This is a number line that we had to do for Miss Noshie. It wasn't that fun or interesting but I did it.

Article posted November 4, 2010 at 11:48 AM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 41

Article posted November 3, 2010 at 08:19 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 44

I'm amazing I really am:) everybody in the school knows me and my favorite football team is... Arsenal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!