Copyright (c) 2014 by RM Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
RM -- Blogmeister

The Amazing RM

5A

by RM

teacher: Mrs. B - Grade 5 (2010-2011)

Parkinson's Disease

Parkinson’sDisease;

The Shaking Palsy

Dr. RM, MD

Waking up in the morning, not being able to talk. If that happens to you, then that means you must be sick. Well there is one type of disease that does that to you, and that disease is called Parkinson’s disease. I’m pretty sure you hate being sick. Having this disease, you SHOULD hate being sick. Someone who has this disease will really wish they were dead.

Job of a Neurologist

I’m a neurologist (new-rol-le-gest). A neurologist is a doctor who specializes in the nervous system. A neurologist usually treats diseases that are found in the spinal cord or brain or nerves, I specialize in this one disease called Parkinson’s disease.

Nervous System

There are two parts of the nervous system. There is the PNS, which is the peripheral (pe-re-phe-ral) nervous system, and there is CNS, which stands for the central nervous system. The CNS consists of three parts: The brain, the spinal cord and the nerves. In the brain, there are three parts called the cerebrum, the cerebellum and the brainstem. The cerebrum is what controls your senses and your thinking. You cerebellum takes care of your movement and balance. And last of all your brainstem takes care of your involuntary (in-vo-lun-tery) actions such as your heart beat, breathing and digestion. The job of the spinal cord is to send the messages from the brain to the body and back, so basically the spinal cord is kind of like a messenger. In the PNS there are sensory nerve cells and motor nerve cells. SNC are your senses such as touch, hear, smell, taste and see. And MNC are what make your senses work.

Did you know that James Parkinson’s was the first to describe the Parkinson’s disease condition in his work, “An Essay on the Shaking Palsy?”

Symptoms

You can easily tell you have Parkinson’s (Par-ken-sons) disease, because you start shaking and your muscles become rigid. Your balance, coordination, and speed will decrease. Once you have Parkinson’s disease, you may also acquire dementia (Di-men-tia). Dementia is a mental condition that affects the brain so basically you forget almost everything you used to know and you will probably end up acting like a baby.

You may also experience swallowing difficulties and speaking problems. You may not like having Parkinson’s disease because you can’t really do anything anymore. You become dependent on other people.

Affecting the system

Parkinson’s disease is a progressive disease of the central nervous system. If a family member has Parkinson’s disease, he/she may pass it on. This disease is non-stop. When you get this disease, nerve cells in parts of the brain responsible for controlling body movements, will spread a chemical named dopamine. Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that is made by the brains organisms. Dopamine is found in the CNS and it’s also linked with the brains complex systems. Dopamine is critical to the way the brain controls our movements. If you don’t have enough, you can’t move: If you have too much, uncontrollable movements. It will also increase pulse and blood pressure. In Parkinson’s disease, the dopamine transmitting neurons die. The brains of people with Parkinson’s disease have almost no dopamine. They give the adult called L-DOPA that can be converted in the brain to dopamine. The neurotransmitters are what affect the system. But also it’s the medications. If you take a depressant, it will slow your system down. Which means the system won’t work as fast. In Parkinson’s disease some patients have to take stronger medications.

People whom get this Disease

Some researchers say that Parkinson’s disease is a genetic, but most people don’t know how you get it. The word genetic (Ge-ne-tic) means that it’s inherited from birth like from a parent. The cause could also be because of environmental pollutants. Environ-mental (En-vi-ro-mental) pollutants mean you can get it from pollutant. It is more usual for middle-aged and old people to get Parkinson’s disease, but it can also spread to young adults. Parkinson’s disease is a very common disease in fact it occurs all over the world! It is more likely for men to get it more than women, but still women get it too.

Did you know that Jean-Martin changed “Shaking Palsy” to “Parkinson’s disease?”

The Treatment

You can treat Parkinson’s disease, but you cannot cure it. You have to take medications such as Artane and Derynl. Artane (Ar-taane) can greatly reduce the shaking in your hand. Deprynl (Dep-re-nel) is supposed to slowdown the progression of the disease. Some Parkinson’s patients do not respond well to drug treatment, so they have to take stronger medication that may affect other systems.

Did you know that Michael J. Fox was the first actor to get Parkinson’s disease?

So now that you know about Parkinson’s disease, you can tell that you have it. You should know how to treat it and you should know how you get it and what this disease does to you. Ok well not all people die with this disease but some do! You should also know that you would not like to have this disease and I think you know why….

Bibliography:

Silverstein, Alvin, Virginia B. Silverstein, and Laura Silverstein. Nunn. Parkinson's Disease. Berkeley Heights, NJ: Enslow Pub., 2002.

Article posted May 17, 2011 at 06:01 AM • comment • Reads 195 • see all articles

I'M JUST AWESOME. I REALLY AM!TRUST ME, I AM!!!