Copyright (c) 2014 by SA Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
SA -- Blogmeister

Snowball

5C

by SA

teacher: Mrs. B - Grade 5 (2010-2011)

Ermines
All about Ermines:

Female ermines eat animals much bigger than them, while the male ermine does not, ermines are carnivores, they mostly eat ferrets, and weasels. The animal that eats an ermine are coyotes, badgers, foxes, owls, wolverines, and fur traders. Ermines eat rabbits, small insects, and rodents.

Ermines are not so fast in running, but sometimes they could manage to run away from the animal that is coming to eat it. Ermines are actually very much like minks, ferrets, and weasels (believe it or not the ermine is in the same family as the wolverine)!

Ermines can live for 4 to 7 years. Ermines kill their prey by just a quick bite behind the neck. The male ermines usually do not help raise his young, only the female does. And also what an ermine mostly eats are mice, voles, lemmings, pikas, snowshoe hares, birds, insects, and fish carcasses. The ermine is pure white in the winter, but when hunting perches on its shorts.

Ermines somewhat look and act a little like a meerkat. An ermine has black on the tip of its tail. Ermines try to camouflage themselves in the snow, but the tip of its tail does not camouflage, so you can see it. “Ermine” is another word for small northern weasel, there is a word called Mustela erminea means a short black tipped tail, a long body with short legs, and fur that is dark brown in summer and white when it snows (winter). The white fur is also known as “ermine”.

Ermines live in the north part of the earth, because it lives in the snow, ermines are not like other animals, they are ferocious hunters and they don’t smell bad at all, they smell normal, but other animals do have a horrible smell. Ermines have a thick white coat that makes them warm in the snow. Ermines are alert animals, whenever they hear a noise they poke their head out of their little cave, to see if there is an animal outside that the ermine would enjoy eating.

I hope that you have learned a lot of information on ERMINES!!!!

Article posted March 18, 2011 at 11:31 AM • comment (1) • Reads 106 • see all articles