Copyright (c) 2014 by spartan Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
spartan -- Blogmeister

It's Spartan time!-

The Meyer Island 5th Grade Blog

by spartan teacher: Dean Meyer

Article posted June 1, 2009 at 11:15 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 106

In my year as a fifth grader I think that I have changed a lot and have really learned to work hard at everything that I do, but sometimes it is okay to have fun too, but it has to be at the right time. 

I remember way back at the beginning of the year when we did our exciting egg experiment, that was fun.  We had to measure our egg and weigh our egg everyday.  We put in vinegar and water and made predictions to what would happen, we also put food coloring in it and it made the egg turn the color of the food coloring.

I also remember when we went to Potter Park Zoo for a week, that was really fun, one day, we went to the penguin exhibit and got to get really close to them.  One other day we spent time at our animals taking notes of them and stuff like that, my animal was the lion and it slept for like more than 3/4 of the time that we were there, but one day it was hungry and it got angry so it jumped up on the fence. 

In the middle of the year I got to go to MACUL which is a conference about technology, it was really fun because we got to watch some presentations and interview people there. 

My teacher does some special things, like March Madness, every kid in my class gets two of the teams in the tournament, and you have to fill out a chart about the college, write a story about a trip to your college, and do a lot of other thing about the college.  You really learned a lot about your college's, and if your team won you got your teams flag.

My teacher is really into making movies, so each year he opens up a tech workshop where you can make movies after school.  I make a movie called Question Girl, that was really fun!

My teacher is also really into Survivor, so we play that is our classroom!  We do different challenge, but I do not have a favorite one.  But, the hardest one was probably one where we had to hold a whole bunch of books for as long as possible, my tribe came in second.  That is just some of the thing that I like and did in my school year as a fifth grader! 

Article posted May 27, 2009 at 08:29 AM GMT-5 • comment (4) • Reads 40

Orlando Magic beat the Cleveland Cavaliers 116 to 114 in overtime at Orlando because because Howard helped out his team in overtime.  Orlando scored more than the Cavaliers so now they are 3-1.  I think that is bad because I wanted the Cavaliers to win.  I found this article at http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2009-05-26-magic-win-game-4-cavs_N.htm.

Article posted May 26, 2009 at 08:52 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 42

Parent that do not get their kids vaccinated are putting their kids at a huge risk.  Parent are doing this all over during these tough times because vaccines cost money and the parents have not seen many people die of these deasies.  But, there are kids who could die from it because they did not get vaccinated.  I think it is terrible that kids could possibly get sick and die because vaccinations cost to much money.  I found this article at http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2009-05-26-whooping-cough_N.htm .  

Article posted May 18, 2009 at 05:24 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 39

Okemos schools are closing two schools in Okemos after the 2009- 2010 school year because it will save a lot of money.  They are going to shut close Wardcliff and Central schools.  I think that it is bad that the econemy is so bad that they have to close schools.  I found this article at www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20090513/NEWS05/905130323/1006/NEWS05/Okemos+makes+plans+to+close+two+elementaries.

Article posted May 12, 2009 at 03:41 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 42

People are going to lower gas prices all over before Memorial Day so that way people will travel more people going to lower the prices by changes the price to lower than the $2.50.  I think that is awesome that people are going to lower gas prices so that way people will go on more trips.  I found this article at www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2009-05-12-aaa-memorial-day-travel-forecast_N.htm.

Article posted May 6, 2009 at 11:14 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 42

We read the book Animal Farm and then we saw the play My Heart In A Suitcase that is about Diary of A Young Girl and I made some connections with the two of the things.  I also made some connections with black people and the play.  We also saw a play about Harriet Tubman and I made some connections with that play too.  The regular animals in animal farm felt kinda felt kinda like how Anne and the other Jews felt.  The Jews also felt like they had no power, rights, and were not treated the same as people who were not Jews.  In animal farm the animals that were not pigs or dogs were treated the same way.  The Jews were also treated like blacks were they had no rights, just like the blacks had no rights.  Anne is like Harriet Tubman too, Harriet Tubman was trying to get to Canada so she could be safe and Anne was trying to get to England so she could be safe.  Anne could not just go to any school, she had to go to a certain school because she was a Jew.  Black people had to go to a certain school too, because they were not white.  Anne was not allowed to sit on just any bench she had to sit on a bench only for Jews.  Blacks had to sit on a certain bench too.  Those are some connections that I have made with the play My Heart In A Suitcase.

Article posted May 5, 2009 at 02:50 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 51

Barack Obama and Joe Biden made a unexpected stop at a burger joint.  When they were hungry because as Obama said, "When you want a burger, you have to have a burger.  They went to the burger joint ordered their meal and got their food and number, just like a normal person.  I think that it is weird that Obama and Biden just went to a small restaurant and just ate there, I also think that it is weird that the worker's just treated them like a normal person.  I found this article at http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2009-05-05-obama-biden-burgers_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip.

Article posted May 3, 2009 at 09:45 PM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 42

Some schools are cutting field trip to some or all places the kids would normally go they are cutting it when the econemy is bad, like now.  They are just taking away field trips from the kids because the schools are trying to figure out the best ways to spend less money.  I think it is bad that some schools are cutting field trips because I think it is a new and fun way to learn and I think that kids might pay more attention at field trip rather that just reading it out of a book.  I found this article at www.usatoday.com/news/education/2009-04-29-field-trips_N.htm

Article posted April 30, 2009 at 08:42 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 36

It Is A Alright Book

My book was Chasing Vermeer and I liked it because it was fun to try to figure out the mystery and I like how they used the pentominoes and it was fun to try to figure out what the letters that Tommy and Calder were writing said.  What I did not like about the end was that it was really confusing.

url://A1174FB1-74F6-4AB7-BB89-C1B583EFC572/image.tiff" target="_blank">url://A1174FB1-74F6-4AB7-BB89-C1B583EFC572/image.tiff" alt="" /> url://21B19755-BC2E-4CC7-A73D-8000213E4BD3/image.tiff" target="_blank">url://21B19755-BC2E-4CC7-A73D-8000213E4BD3/image.tiff" alt="" />url://A4A54FBB-7390-44C3-9F13-1023135A5441/image.tiff" target="_blank">url://A4A54FBB-7390-44C3-9F13-1023135A5441/image.tiff" alt="" />url://7A730C7C-657D-4132-906C-CAA51DFC2BF6/image.tiff" target="_blank">url://7A730C7C-657D-4132-906C-CAA51DFC2BF6/image.tiff" alt="" /> url://2E9A2290-990B-456F-B4F5-D1BDA7C6EBD1/image.tiff" target="_blank">url://2E9A2290-990B-456F-B4F5-D1BDA7C6EBD1/image.tiff" alt="" />

Article posted April 28, 2009 at 08:34 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 39

Edmond Randolph and William Paterson were in a warm, mucky church on the warmest day in July.  The year was 1787. They were there to debate about the Virginia and the New Jersey Plan they were going to try to come up with a compromise.  Neither of them thought that it would be this hard.

"I think that if a state has more population then they should have more of a voice.  Why should a state with a little population have the same say as a state with a huge population?" said Edmond Randolph. 

"I think that each state should have the same say no matter if they have a big population or not.  Well the big states have a lot of slaves and they are treated as property not human beings so they should not count as a human being. said William Paterson.  

Africans have rights... and might be given their freedom... someday.  But, they are still humans. Replied Edmond Randolph.

"House of Representatives should elect the Senate too.  Do you agree with this, the Executive Branch should enforce the laws, the Judicial Branch should interpret the laws, and the Legislative Branch should make the laws? said Edmond Randolph. 

William Paterson replies yes, I agree with that.  

Okay, do you agree with this too, the Legislative Branch should be based on population, the Senate should have two people from each state, and there should be three branch of government? Asked Edmond Randolph. 

"Even though that plan is okay, I still think that the Virginia Plan is better."  said Edmond Randolph. 

Sure, I agree with that, says William Paterson.

"Well, I... I...I think your plan is... dumb and stupid and does not make sense."  Said Edmond Randolph in a very angry voice.

"My plan makes just as much sense as yours does."  In fact it makes more sense than yours does," replied William Paterson.  

William Sherman, a patriot from Connecticut enters the room and immediately gets between the heated debate between William Patterson and Edmund Randolph.  Things were getting very loud, and several delegates were looking on with dismay as it seemed the men would come to blows.

Hey guys, it seems like you both are getting a little hot under the collar.  Take a minute to go for a walk and cool off, then we can talk about things.

Ok,  are you guys ready to listen, because you've done enough talking.  Here's what I've been thinking about.  Both of you have some good ideas and some bad ones.  I think that to make our new country strong, since the Articles of Confederation were so LAME, that we need to get this right.  This is our second chance, and we can't mess it up.

William Patterson from New Jersey, I really like your idea of having each state with an equal number of representatives.  That seems fair to everyone, and isn't our country founded on equality?  If each state has the same number of votes then the smaller states will not feel slighted. 

Oh, I know what you are going to say Edmund Randolph, "This isn't fair because we have more people."  I hear you and also think that is the right thing to do by having population as the basis for representation.  It would not be fair to have more people affected by laws without them having a fair share of "voice" in making the laws.

So, let's do this, create TWO PARTS for our legislature, one part called the Senate would give each state equal representation.  This would make smaller states happy, while adding a House of Represntatives with it's membership based on population would be fair to the bigger states.

"What do you guys think?"  "Well...." said Edmund Randolph.  "I still think that..." interrupted William Patterson.

Nine days later after long debating it was put to a vote, and the good news spread as it passed five votes to four votes.

The bicameral (two parts) legislature was passed, and the basis for calculating population was decided that a census of the nation's population would be given every 10 years to account for changes.  The last issue that was on the table as a sticking point was how to count enslaved African Americans as citizens.  The South threatened to seced if they didn't get to count slaves as citizens.  The Northern states knew this was a critical issue, but decided that creating a nation was more important than getting their way on the issue, and thus a compromise of counting each slave as 3/5 a person for population was struck.  Slave trade would be ended by 1808, but many, many issues regarding slavery were not addressed at that time.

I like to play sports my favorite sports are basketball and running. I also have a dog and a cat. I mostly run 5k's.