Copyright (c) 2014 by goheat8 Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
goheat8 -- Blogmeister

hola!-

The Meyer Island 5th Grade Blog

by goheat8 teacher: Dean Meyer
Year in Review Essay 06/01/09
25 Detroit Free Press Workers Get Layed Off 05/26/09
Michigan's Roads Need Repairing 05/19/09
The Government Goes Into Debt 05/12/09
My Heart in a Suitcase Comparison with Animal Farm 05/11/09
State Workers Get 6 Furlough Days 05/05/09
70 Dogs Get Rescued by Animal Control 04/29/09
Michigan Gets Ready for the Swine Flu 04/28/09
21 Horses' Deaths 04/21/09
My Dream Is... 04/21/09

Article posted June 1, 2009 at 07:52 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 130

I had a lot of good memories in fifth grade. So here are a few of them. 

I remember in late October when my class went to Potter Park Zoo to do the Big Zoo Lesson. It was so much fun. I got my favorite animal as the one I was to observe. A snow leopard. The first day I observed her, I was amazed. Her name was Little Girl and she was so beautiful. With her long, silky coat and her dazzling eyes, I couldn't wait to see what she'd do. That first day, she mostly just walked around her cage in a straight line, occasionally jumping up on rocks and laying down. But the most interesting thing she did was play with her tail. It was so funny. I was very surprised she did that. Anyway, I observed her for a fraction of the time we spent at the zoo, and it was mostly the same every day. But we did other things on the trip. One day we took a tour around the zoo and learned about most of the animals. We wrote everything down in our writing journals. I really did learn a lot about some of the other animals. 

I also remember Survivor. My class did lots of different and interesting challenges. I even stayed in the game until the final 9, which I'm pretty happy about. I didn't win, but I still think I did well. One fun challenge was when we all had scooters and had to get over to the other side of the gym with the help of other classmates. I had a hard time though because when I folded my legs, they hung off the edge and almost touched the ground (which is not allowed to happen). Another fun challenge was the one when our tribes were on scooters and playing basketball. My tribe was first to play against the Pirates. I scored the first basket my tribe had and was pretty happy. Luckily, my tribe won! The next match-up was the Ducks and the Nerds. The Ducks ended up winning and then it was them versus us. It was a tough game and everyone played hard, but my tribe won in the end. We won immunity and were very happy. One other challenge that was very interesting was the parachute one. Everyone had to run the soccer field with a parachute strapped to them. When my turn came up, I strapped on the parachute and took off. It was really easy the first part of the run because the wind was blowing the way I was running. But on the way back, the wind was terrible. It was really hard to run, but I actually ended up being the fourth fastest person (I think). Ian won immunity that time. 

There are many things in this class that have made me become a better person. Here are some of those things.

Playing Survivor and sitting in tribes is one thing that has done me some good. I have never really socialized with many people in class. But sitting in tribes let me have the chance to get to know some other people and talk to them. Playing Survivor helped me to work with other kids when doing things. Me and my tribe members all used teamwork to win challenges. Another thing that made me a better person is my teacher, Mr. Meyer. He really pushed me to my fullest and gave out hard work. This is the hardest I've worked in all my years of going to school. This year I was actually challenged, whereas in other years work has been easy and a breeze to do. I also learned a lot about technology. When I came into this class, I had absolutely no idea how to make podcasts or how a blog worked. But now that I've had about nine months of learning technology, I know a lot. At Grandparents Day, I showed my grandma all kinds of stuff she didn't know. She was amazed that I had learned so much. I really hope that I can find out more things over the summer.

Well, that wraps up my Year in Review essay. I wish the best to the new fourth graders that are coming into his class.

Article posted May 26, 2009 at 08:15 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 51

25 people working for the Detroit Free Press are getting layed off in Detroit, Michigan in the present time because of the continuing economic downturn and not very many needed advertisements. I think this is bad because the people losing their jobs will need to find a new one to get money for food, bills, etc.

Article posted May 19, 2009 at 09:08 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 43

Michigan’s roads need to be repaired in Michigan at the present time because they are getting damaged and hard to drive on. How they got this way was probably from people driving on them, and soon, they eventually became cracked and damaged. I think this is bad because one, it’s another thing to add to our terrible economy, two, because people are going to have a harder time driving, and three, we’re going to have to raise gas prices in order to get money to repair the roads.

Article posted May 12, 2009 at 08:30 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 66

The government is going into debt in the present time in Washington D.C. because not enough money is coming in and they are spending all the money on things like the Wall Street bailout and President Barrack Obama’s economic stimulus bill. I think this is terrible because this just adds to the other problems our economy has. Everything needs to be fixed. Hopefully it gets better.

Article posted May 11, 2009 at 08:54 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 72

My class read the book Animal Farm and saw My Heart in a Suitcase, a play based on Diary of Anne Frank, and there have been many similarities between the two. One is that the Jews were treated very badly and didn't have the privileges that the Germans had. This is just like when the pigs overworked the other animals and didn't give them the privileges they got. Also, the Nazis were like the pigs in Animal Farm because they treated the Jews badly. I thought that Anne's dad was just like Benjamin, the donkey, because they both knew that things were getting really bad and that something needed to be done about it. Another connection was when Anne's family got attacked by the Nazis. That was sort of like the time the farmers attacked the animals at the farm. Also, Dorit was just like Snowball because they both could have all the special privileges and do everything that the higher level beings could do, but they chose to do what's right and stay with their friends, who were lower level beings and didn't get special privileges. So, those were some of the connections between My Heart in a Suitcase and Animal Farm. I hope they were very useful to you.

Article posted May 5, 2009 at 10:03 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 54

State workers are being given 6 furlough days (which is not going to work and not getting paid) in the state of Michigan at the present time because the state needs to get more money. How they are doing it is by making state employees take 6 furlough days. I don’t like what’s happening with the state. My mom works for the state and she needs to get money so that we can pay for bills and have food to eat. I really hope things get better.

Article posted April 29, 2009 at 02:15 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 60

70 neglected dogs were found by Animal Control in a yard in Mason, Michigan on April 28, 2009 because the owner had left them there and Animal Control heard about them and decided to pick them up. How they did it was by driving to the spot and loading the dogs in their truck. I think people who abuse and neglect animals are sick. People just can't leave dogs in tiny cages forever. Especially when they're under water and filled with mud and fecis. I can't believe some people would be stupid enough to do that. If you have a pet, you should take good care of it. Luckily, the Animal Control found them and then they were in safe hands. Hopefully the dogs will all be adopted soon. 

Source: [LINK];

Article posted April 28, 2009 at 11:58 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 56

Michigan is getting ready for the swine flu disease to come at the present time all over the state because it is a very deadly virus and is spreading all over the world. How we are getting ready is by keeping clean and also finding out more about the disease so we can find a cure for it. I think it is terrible that the disease is spreading. All kinds of people are dying from it. Hopefully it doesn't spread to our area. 

Source: [LINK]    

Article posted April 21, 2009 at 06:59 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 54

Twenty-one horses dropped dead at a polo game in Wellington, Florida on April 21, 2009. The veterinarians that checked them out said that it was a heart failure, probably from tainted food, vitamins, or supplements. How it happened was simply by those horses eating the food, vitamins, or supplements that were tainted. I think it is terrible that all those horses died. I love horses and to hear about twenty-one of them dying is horrible. The owner of the horses should’ve made sure that their food was okay, just to make sure that they wouldn’t get killed.

Article posted April 21, 2009 at 12:15 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 60

One day in Mr. Meyer’s 5th grade class, I started to think about my life during Social Studies. I thought about my job, the college I’d go to, my house, and basically my whole life as a grown up. After a minute, I was in a trance. My daydream started out with me just getting out of High School. That summer, I got information on what colleges had good veterinary classes, since I wanted to be a veterinarian. So finally, after a long time of getting information, I decided to go to Michigan State University. I thought that was cool because I wouldn’t have to move out of state or anything. After that scene, my daydream jumped to one where I was in college. My class was practicing operating on an animal, which looked pretty complicated. Of course, in real life I was only in fifth grade, so I didn’t know about the operation. But in time I would learn. Anyway, when the class was over, I went to a cafe in town with some of my roommates and friends. It was a nice atmosphere in there and I laughed, talked, and had a great time. In my daydream, my life in college looked pretty good, so I was happy. After that my daydream jumped to a scene where I was at work. There were lots of animals that looked like they were in bad condition. I felt so bad for them. Then, I saw myself checking out an animal that was stuck in a tire. It had a broken neck and looked starved. There was a whole team of veterinarians helping me get the dog out. It must have been pretty serious, because all of us looked very worried. Finally, after a long time of pulling and pushing and twisting and turning, I had an idea to pour water over the dog’s neck and then try to pull the dog out. I thought it would work well because then the dog’s fur would smooth out and the dog’s neck would be skinnier and therefore would be able to fit through the tire. After a couple of minutes went by, I got the dog’s head out! Everyone cheered as the dog shook and limped over to me. It looked much happier now that it could move around. Once the dog was spruced up a bit, I put him in a cage and drove home. When I got there, I pulled into a long driveway leading to a big house. My yard was huge and had an in-ground swimming pool in the back. There was also a pasture with a total of four horses in it, one for each of my family members. Once I got inside, two beautiful little girls ran to me and gave me a hug. Then, a sheltie came running after them and gave me a loving smile. I stooped down to pet her. Then, my husband walked in. I said hello and kissed him. Then I went in the kitchen to make dinner. After my daydream was over, Mexico shook me until I was fully back to Earth. She told me that we were transitioning into math. So I got out my math book and thought about how my life might really turn out.    

hi! this is my blog. i want to tell you that I LOVE ANIMALS!!!