Copyright (c) 2014 by Pierre Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Pierre -- Blogmeister

Pierre's Awesome Blog-

Image by FlamingText.com
Image by FlamingText.com

by Pierre teacher: Daina Seymour

Title: Olympic Events (01/14/10)
Description: Research an event from the Winter Olympics by asking questions. Once you have a list of questions, research using books, the internet, encyclopedias and such. After you have your research information, develop a paragraph(s) about your sport and create an article to post to your blog.

Nordic Combined is a winer sport where athletes participate in cross-country skiing and ski jumping. Nordic Combined is played on snow.

There are four athletes on a team. Athletes can also choose to go in the individual race. The indivual race has been held in the olympics since 1929. The team event was added in 1988.

There used to only be three players on each team until 1998. Then, they added a fourth player. Each athlete gets to jump off the jumping hill and then participate in the cross-country race. The race is 6.2 miles long. It is about half an hour to and hour betwen the to events.

For each event you participate in you recive points. For Ski jumping you recive points for your distance and style. The time that you recive in the cross-counrty race is converted into points. When you ski jump you can get a maxium of 60 style points. The team/athelte who gets the most points at the end wins.

You use boots,bindings,a connection cord, a ski jumping suit, a helmet, and jumping skis for ski jumping. For the cross-country skiing you use a helmet, bindins, boots, poles, skis, a skiing suit, and wax for your skis.

The country that have won the most medals in the past are Japan, West Germany, Norway, Finland, and Austria. Canada and the United States have never won a medal in Nordic combined.

The first athelte to win a gold medal while participating in Nordic Combined was Thorleif Haug from Norway in 1924.

Ever think what sledge hockey is I thought the same thing. Read this you will love this.

While playing Ice Sledge Hockey the players on the bench can watch the game through the glass in the benches. The rules are close to Ice Hockey so you can check(Bodycheck). But players wearing orange vests can't be checked or check someone else. You CAN'T fight in sledge hockey if you do fight you will be ejected .

There are 15 players on a Sledge Hockey team including 2 goalies. You can't have more then 6 men on the ice at once. You have 3 forwards, 2 defence and 1 goalies. In the 2010 games 8 teams will compete in the round robin at the UBC Thunderbird arena in Vancouver.

We are not sure if this applies to the Olympics but we found out that.

5 points is if you win 3 periods and win game.

4 points is if you win 2 periods and win game.

3 points is if you win 1 period and win game.

2 points is if you win win 1 period and tie game.

1 point is if you tie 3 periods and tie game.

0 points is if you lose all 3 periods and lose game.

If team A has 1 elite player on the ice team B can only have 1 player on the ice even if they have more.

In Sledge hockey you have 2 small sticks with 6 - 8 spikes on the stick. The spikes can be no longer than 1 cm long so they not wreck the ice. You need to wear a helmet with a mask. You need sticks and a sledge.

Skeleton came to the olympic's in 1976. It was first tried by British Soilders on a tobogan. Now when practicing skeleton they use the same track as bob sled and luge, they wear an airplane helemet and skin tieght speed suits.Skeleton is one of the newest events to the olympics. When they start they run at hiegh speeds then smoothly liegh there bodys on the sled going throw the track at hiegh speeds twisting and curving, once they get to the end they use there feet to stop. As doing this they are trying to get the lowest time. Not many people do skeleton but when they do they better like the adrenaline rush. By Talen

Ski jumping is a sport in which skiers gain speed down a ramp and and launch off with the front of the ski at the persons head, and land soft. This sport does not involve tricks at ALL! The title ski jumping is simple, a little to simple because you ski down fast then jump. In this sport your not timed , you just try to go as far as you can and people just take turns ski jumping. The sport ski jumping has lasted since 1924, its about how long the winter olympics started. A hometown hero was Yukio Kasaya won Japans first gold medal at a winter olympics in 1972. In fact, Japanese athletes won all three medals that year in the individual NH event - in Japan! By CJ

[LINK]

Cross country is a fun sport!

The longest trail is 100km.Bjorn Daehlie has won the most medals in history with a total of 12 medals.

Canada has won 7 bronze medals, 10 silver medals, and 7 gold medals!

The skis have curved tips there light and narrow and up to 1.95-

2.10m long! Cross country skiing is the oldest type of skiing in history.

Freestyle skiing is a sport for both men and women. The competitors get to choose what they would like to do, downhill skiing or cross country skiing. there are lots of different jumps. there is the twister, the spread- eagle, the iron cross and the helicopter- an upright 360 degree spin. The competitors also get to decide what kind of skis they use, long skis or short skis. Usually it depends on the size of the person.

In a race, it does not matter how many people qualify, but each race is limited to four starters. Physical endurance and strength play a ski roll in ski athletes.

Athletes may choose three out of four different lines they will ski down on the mogul course. After the start signal, they ski down a steep slope and over a series of off set large bumps (mogul) as high as 1.2 meters and spaced 3-4 meters apart. There are two sets of bumps, one near the top of the course and one near the bottom of the course where the skiers are required to perform 4 different jumps of there own choice. the ski cross course is designed to test skiers skills incorporate turns n a variety of type and sizes, flat sections and travers, as well as rolls, banks and riges similar to those found on a normal slope.

Article posted January 16, 2010 at 01:26 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 60

Short track speed skating is in a 111.12 metre oval within a hockey rink. Short track is different then long track. In long track there is a time limit and in short track you race to the finish. Short track you need a lot of supplies like a hard shelled helmet, cut resistence clothes, knee pads and elbow pads. Short track speed skating dates back to the 13th century. In 2002 Ko Gi-Hyun won the gold medal in the womens 1500m. She was only 15!

Curling, often called 'chess on ice', is partly a mystery. It originated from Scotland. Nobody knows who the original inventor is because he or she is lost in time, which is understandable as it is believed to have been created sometime in 1511. They believe that because an actual stone was discovered with the year 1511 etched into it. It is considered the oldest curling stone in existence. Others say in the 16'th century (about 400 years ago). Which one is correct?

Nobody knows what the idea of curling came from. But they think they're getting closer because they are researching a old Latin book that is centuries old.

Nobody knows why they created it, but it was probably for fun.

When the game was first played, they played it on frozen ponds, lochs and marshes about 400-500 years ago. The rocks were small 'loofies' with only a niche for the fingers (they were large river rocks), and now they are 'big boulders' with a handle. These 'boulders', weighing 42 1/2 (19.3kg) pounds, have been used since the 19 century. Now we use 'Nice Ice'. 'Nice Ice' is water droplets sprinkled over the ice so they freeze into tiny bumps, which helps the stone grip the surface. It also helps curlers control their shots. 'Pebbled Ice' is another name for it. They often do this before bonspeils Only in 2006 was it considered a full medal game. Some words they use can be confusing. Here is what they mean:

curl-the curl of a stone as it moves down the ice.

Hurry- the command of the skip to sweep.

whoa- the command of the skip to stop sweeping.

Every player slides 2 stones toward a 12 foot (3.7 m) house or target. Once all the stones are thrown, the period ends. A game consists of 8-10 ends. Most games last 2 1/2 hours. The players throw the stones from the 'hack', or foothold about 126 feet or 38 m from the house. The sweeping alters the ice surface and lessons the resistance of the stone and can add 6 to 10 feet.

Speed skating has been an event in the Winter Olympics since the first winter games in 1924. But women weren't allowed to speed skate until 1960. Skaters can reach speeds of more than sixty kilometers per hour!

Men can skate up to ten thousand meters, and women five thousand meters. Winter Olympic skaters will be skating on a four hundred meter oval rink. The rink is in Richmond.

Speed Skaters wear a colored band on their arm so the judges can tell what team they're on. The skaters also wear skintight uniform, sometimes with a hood or helmet, and goggles. The best type of skate to use is a clap skate. It's a skate that has a hinge at the heel, allowing the skater to skate better by keeping the length of the blade on the ice.

If someone has a false start, they are disqualified. Skaters take a draw for the starting order. Canada has won twenty-eight medals for speed skating. Six gold, ten silver, and twelve bronze. Norway has won the most , seventy-nine medals.

When speed skaters compete, there are only two people on the ice. The skaters get timed, and skate laps around the rink as fast as they can. The person that crosses the finish line in the shortest time, wins. Speed skating is the fastest man-powered sport, without electronic equipment. So this year don't forget to watch speed skating in the 2010 Winter Olympics!!!

Kristi Yamaguchi is famous for winning the 1992 olympics and being the first woman to win since 1976. Her career didn't last long though, because she retired in her thirties. Another famous figure skater is Shizuka Arakawa for winning the gold for Japan in 2006. Also being the first figure skater to win gold for Japan.

In the death spiral you don't die. The man just spins really fast in circles while the woman is holding his hand. The woman lies so close to the ground that she has to be careful. Another trick is the axel jump. It is the only jump a skater does while moving forward. In a throw jump the man launches the woman into one of the leaps that are done in single person skating. The ice dance is practically ballroom dancing... but on ice. The ice dance has 3 parts compulsury dance, the original dane, and the free dance.

In figure skating there is a move called the slachow. In the slachow a skater takes off from a back inside edge, and lands on the back outside edge of the opisite foot.

Sometimes in figure skating skater are brother and sister or they fall in love. The they get married. figure skating is a great way to meet new people.

Bobsleigh can be dangerous but if you are a trained professional it is not as dangerous it is still dangerous.

A bobsled has two runners, they make the sled go down the track. Then it is kinda like a sled on top of the runners with sides.

A track ( the thing the bobsleigh slide down ) only takes sixty seconds or one minute to slide down. There is also fifteen bends and fifteen straights.

I used to think that bobsleigh was a one man sport but it is actualy a team sport. There can be a team of two or four.

How fast can a bobsleigh go? Well a bobsleigh can go up to 160 miles per hour!!! That is really fast!

Did you know the sport bobsleigh originated from Switzerland in the 1980's?

A bobsleigh has brakes but you are not aloud to use them or you will be disqualified.

It is illegal to heat the runners before the race. Hot runners melt the ice and make the sled go faster. The temperature of the runners is checked before each race.

This was my Olympic project on Bobsleigh.

While playing Ice Sledge Hockey the players on the bench can watch the game through the glass in the benches. The rules are close to Ice Hockey so you can check. But players wearing orange vests can't be checked or check someone else. You CAN'T fight in sledge hockey.

2 points is if you win 1 period and tie game.

In Sledge hockey you have 2 small sticks with 6 - 8 spikes on the stick. The spikes can be no longer than 1 cm long so i does not wreck the ice. You need to wear a helmet with a mask. You need sticks and a sledge.

The Winter Olympics of 2010 will begin in February. So me and my partner are just trying to get this finished before that time. So me and my partner are writing about the Winter Olympic sport Alpine Skiing where you try to ski down a mountain as fast as you can while turning through a series of gates.

In Alpine Skiing the pieces of equipment needed for the sport are goggles, skis, ski poles, shin pads, snowsuit, knee pads, and a helmet.

The slope of a downhill course is a whopping distance of 1100 meters! Wow! It takes most professionals under 2 minutes to complete the course. Nancy Greene (our 1968 Canadian athlete) won gold AND silver at the Winter olympics. Any comments?

There are four athletes on a team. Athletes can also choose to go in the individual race. The individual race has been held in the olympics since 1929. The team event was added in 1988.

The development of snowboarding was inspired by skateboarding, surfing and skiing . It was developed in the U.S.A in the 1960 and 1970 and became a winter Olympic sport in 1998.

In Minnesota 1917, a man named Vern Wicklund invented the snow board made from boards from a barrel . The sport did not catch on intel the 1960s. Thats when a Michigan engineer named Sherman Poppen inveted a snowboard called the Snurfer ( using the words

"snow" and "surfer" ) . The original Snurfer was made from a childs skis screwed together ,with a rope attached to the front . Poppen sold a lot of Snurfers ,many people thought they were just toys though . Then young fans started making and selling high-quality Snowboards ( which were not toys any more ) .

In 1998 Snowboarding became an event in the winter olympics . it was rejected by most slopes but other slopes loved the idea. almost every slope has snowboarders now .

For snowboarding you need to wear a jacket ,helmet ,goggles, gloves and ski pants .

Snowboarding is alike alpine skiing they can use the same hills for races and for practicing andthere both very fast ! Did you know that snowboarding is a combination of surfing and alpine skiing .

The half pipe is a semi-circle like ramp and it is between 8 to 22 feet deep so competitors can perform tricks and do crazy jumps while going side to side on the half pipe and tricks are performed in the air above the sides of the half pipe.

Speed Skating has been an event in the Winter Olympics since the first Winter games in 1924.But women weren't allowed to speed skate until 1960.Skaters can reach speeds of more than 60 kilometers per hour.Men can skate up to ten thousand meters,and women five thousand meters.Men and women also compete in a race called Team Pursuit.The rink in Richmond is a 400 meter oval ice rink.

Speed Skaters wear a coloured band on their arm so th judges can tell the difference on what team they are on.The skaters also wear a skinsuit with a hood to be aerodynamic.They also wear a clap skate. It's a skate that has a blade attached on a hinge at the heel, allowing one to skate more efficiently by keeping the length of the blade on the ice.

If someone has a false start, hey are disqualified.Skaters take a draw for a starting oder.Canada has won twenty-eight metals for speed skating.Six gold,ten silver,and twelve bronze.Norway has won the most,seventy-nine metals.

When Speed Skaters compete,there are only two people on the ice.The skaters get timed,and they skate around the rink as fast as they can.The person who crosses the finish line in the shortest time,wins. Speed Skating is the fastest man powered sport,without electronic equiptment.So don't forget to watch Long-Track speed skating in the 2010 Winter Olympic Games.

The first wheelchair curling championships held in 2002,was won by Switzerland with canada taking silver and Scotland taking bronze. At the 2009 world championships Canada took home gold,Sweden won silver and Germany bronze. At the 2006 paralympic games Canada won the semi-finals against Norwary to advance to the finals and win the gold medal.

To deliver the rock you may lean over the wheelchair or use a delivery stick. The rock is about a 20 to 30 pound big polished stone. There is no sweeping in wheelchair curling because you can not sweep from the side or glide on a wheelchair so your throw has to be more accurate. The rules and roles are the same as regular curling. The roles are lead,second,third and a skip. The rules are to try and get the rock inside the house. The house is the colourful circles at the end of a curling rink. The wheelchair is stationary as they trow the rock down the ice. In 2010 only 10 teams of four will compete in the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic Games!

Bobsleigh is actually really fun but it can be really painful. You have to be really fast to be a Bobsledder like athletes they would be really good Bodsledders. Now if they go down an icy tracks have 15 turns and if they don't turn they will crash or die when they crash If they don't get in the sled fast they will slow it down and it would break they hopes of winning. Now if the two team or 4 team bobsledders don't follow the track and they just go down without turning it will slow them down or they will crash. Bobsledders have to be athletic ,fit,fast, and they have to know the turns really well or it will be really dangerous. If they are athletic,fit,fast,and they know every turn it will be really fun!