Copyright (c) 2014 by KW Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
KW -- Blogmeister

-

by KW teacher: Mrs. B - Grade 5 (2010-2011)
Best New Year Ever 01/04/11
french 02/19/09
My Goals 11/20/08
I Am a Wlld One 10/17/08

Title: Japan Earthquake Reflections (03/18/11)
Description: Students were asked to think about the people of Japan, during the recent weeks.

Article posted April 6, 2011 at 08:00 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 488

On Monday morning I went to school and the only thing I heard was about Japan’s 9.0 earth quake. That was followed by a tsunami that was 10 meters tall. When the tsunami hits it washed away a whole town. Around 10,000 people are between missing and dead. And another threat hitting Japan is the explosion of the nuclear plant. The earth moved 10 centimeters as a result of the earth quake. Just imagine that you are going to school and never coming back lots of building were falling down and lots of bridges are breaking.

I felt really bad for them and I hardly slept that night I could imagine women screaming for their kids everywhere that night and I am so thankful that is not happening in Lebanon.

I woke up early, expecting an average day. I did not know what lay ahead. I got dressed and set out to the supermarket with my father. We took a taxi to the supermarket from where mother wanted us to buy food. A huge line was waiting at the cashier’s desk. Customer by customer, item by item, the cashier clicked the button on the sensor, the red light flickering. All of a sudden, the customers began to worriedly murmur. I felt an abrupt shudder pass through the ground, as if the floor was squirming, the way I would when I am tickled. Then I felt vibrations go through my bones, the way it would if I was listening to loud music. The store shook furiously, I imagined my father and I standing in a snow globe, and a person was shaking it as I fell to the ground. I pushed my father out of the way as a television set fell off the shelf. Everyone was screaming. “Jinshin! Jinshin! Earthquake! Earthquake!”. I did not know what to do. I asked my father. He said that we should leave the place. I did not think that was right but I followed him. Trees were collapsing and cars were tumbling down the road. I remembered the safety position and rolled up into a ball covering my head and opening my mouth. My father did the same. Five hours later, we found ourselves in buried in the ground, not so deep though. We cooperated and dug ourselves out. My fatherhad learned about earthquakes at school. He knew that they had aftershocks, but he could not remember what they were. “Aha! Tsunami!” He said almost crying. “Quickly! I will carry you, and I will run uphill.” He said. I jumped onto his back and he ran, I could tell, with all his might. He ran and ran until he was panting. I heard the sound of thunder. I was terribly afraid of thunder. But it wasn’t thunder. It was the wave. It roared and roared as it crashed on to my brother and I. My father caught onto a light pole, and told me to hold on too and hold my breath. I cried and so did he, but I did as he said. Water crashed and thrashed through the street. I held on to the light pole with all my strength and yet I was taken by the wave. I screamed and my father let go to come after me, I think. I felt safer as his hand caught my arm. I took a deep breath. My brother gestured for me to try to swim towards the side. I tried and tried but I could only move towards the left a little bit. The wave did us a favor, at the roundabout; it pushed us into the rubble and debris. Again, my father carried me and ran up hill. I had most of my energy so I told my father to put me down and let me run. He did not allow this. He ran on for a mile or so until he reached the highest point he could see. He dropped onto the ground and breathed heavily. A rescue helicopter hovered abovemy father forced me to stand up, wave my hand, and scream with him. We took of our yellow raincoats and flashed them in the air to grab the pilot’s attention. We didn’t do this easily because we both had broken arms. The helicopter hovered towards us and sent down a thick rope with a loop on the end. My father told me to go first. I went up first; it was nice to see how he cared about me. Then came his turn. He pulled the loop down his chest. The helicopter began to lift my father in. Up, up, up he went and so did his hopes. He was halfway through when he fell. He screamed as he hit the floor, hearing the snap of a breaking bone. “Aaah!” he screamed, thinking that the helicopter would give up. It flew away. I heard my father screaming at the pilot. Eventually the pilot listened. He sent down the loop and h pulled it down my chest this time with agonizing pain. I closed my eyes until he reached the helicopter. I sat happily next to my father and we flew away to a hospital.

Article posted March 23, 2011 at 09:10 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 97

Who said that life is fair?

Japanese inisant people suffered an 8.9 magnitude earthquake according to Richter scale, and suffered of a huge tsunami afterwards.

All the people’s loved ones, kids, husbands, wives, they were all washed away. When I watched the video I felt sorry for them. They don’t deserve this no one deserves this traumatic experience and horrible fate. They also had 30 aftershocks, in addition, to the earthquake, tsunami, the nuclear plant exploded which may cause spread of radiation. The students that went to school they never saw their parents again. It’s just not fair.

The windows shattered many things did. The buildings collapsed, got washed away by the ponderous tsunami.

The earth quake shook the earth vigorously and the Japanese who lost their loved ones forever.

It was a traumatic experience that will never be washed out of their souls and hearts.

Article posted April 6, 2011 at 08:00 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 73

Japan

No one knows what his fate will be!

The Japanese woke up just expecting a normal day ahead of them. Then in a sudden “Breaking News”, an 8.9 magnitude of earthquake on Richter scale struck Japan, and a long with it a tsunami washed away thousands of people with their houses, cars, ships, and all their other belongings. Lots of people lost their children and parents.

Tears running down millions of people’s faces. People running away for their survival leaving all their valuable possessions behind. Everybody was extremely nervous, gasping for air trying to avoid the calamity. Japanese who survived couldn’t cope with their loss, couldn’t believe how in few minutes their life has changed forever.

In addition to the huge earthquake an explosion of Nuclear plant caused a threat called “Radiation”. When I watched the news I was literally going to cry. I couldn’t imagine how bad they felt, I couldn’t but empathize with them.

I told myself:” Life is not fair at all, anything can happen at any time and anywhere. Life is full of miseries and surprising events that will take place”. If I put myself in their shoes I would know that this is the most traumatic experience that any human would pass through.

Article posted March 23, 2011 at 08:48 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 62

March 11th, 9:00 PST the unexpected happened. A terrible combination of a tsunami and earthquake invaded the lands of Japan, causing the elimination of more than 15,000 people off earth. Innocent, helpless people, babies, workers, washed away, buried in the soil feeling the sadness of being away from their loved ones. One of the strongest earthquakes ever to be experienced on earth, with a magnitude of 8.9 according to the advanced machine, called Richter’s Scale. The Tsunami was the problem; it washed away a town and part of a city called: Sendai. The worst of all was the explosion of two nuclear plants, spreading radiation around Japan and all around the world. The risk of getting radiation is big, because it might mix with clouds and the mixture of radiation and rain will happen. This means that if it rains in the places near Japan and in Japan will get radiation.

I can feel the sadness in the Japanese citizens, losing their family and their loved ones, and all they have left is a destroyed and demolished hometown. Thousands of people with no shelter or food, and the government trying their best to provide them with the supplies needed. Countries sending lots of troops to help Japan, bringing food to them, and specialized people to help find missing, and always, always, hoping for their survival.

Think deeply about all the people who went happily to school hoping for a brighter future but unfortunately they lost their life. They left sadness and sorrow behind and many friendships and loved ones. I got to the conclusion that life is full of miseries and you may not always get what you want. But someday you will have to pass away, in any type of way. But honestly, the worst way to die is being killed by the force of nature. But always remember something, appreciate life, family, and live the moment because someday, when you pass away, you will never comeback. You’ll miss the chance of enjoying your family, friends and mostly, your life.

Who said the earth’s surface can’t change in a second??????

On March 11th 2011 I was in Japan. At 2:00 in the afternoon there was a shocking feeling under my feet. I thought I was shivering from the cold wind. I went to my parents and my twin sister. Then I realized that we were all shaking strongly. We ran down the stairs the fastest we could, screaming!!!! “The earth is shaking”. We ran back and opened the TV with astonishment I screamed, "An 8.9 magnitude earthquake." Oh! My god! They said there will be a tsunami. Afterwards everybody was praying the tsunami will not happen. All of a sudden the TV fell down and all the family hid under the table. We were screaming with fear the tsunami looked like a huge monster that wanted to swallow us. The tsunami was coming closer and closer I thought my heart was going to move from its place the wave started devouring people. I fainted. I knew later, that my dad picked me up and ran to the highest hill. I was mesmerized to see all the destruction done by the tsunami. The next day we went back to Lebanon and said to myself this was a traumatic experience that I’ll never ever forget.

Article posted March 18, 2011 at 09:59 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 74

Who said that suffering is not part of life??? He Japanese citizens were starting a normal, ordinary day. Suddenly the ground started shaking viciously from left to right and right to left. It was an earthquake!!!! People were running, praying, and screaming for help. The magnitude of the earthquake was 8.9 on the Rickter Scale. There were 30 aftershocks. At that point there was no land it was a TSUNAMI!!! 10m high! The tsunami was like a starving monster that had swallowed many lives. Over 10,000 people had been missing in just a few minutes. In addition to all of that there was a threat that the main nuclear plant was going to explode sending radiation across all of Japan and maybe other countries neighboring it.

Even though, I could empathize with the people and it was a heart breaking event. Many children and little babies had lost their parents or the opposite way. They were left alone, homeless, nowhere to go.

This is part of life. You may face many disasters like this. The earthquake in Japan was extremely destructive and it showed that when nature is angry it will cause something destructive. It was the most powerful earthquake that Japan has ever witnessed.