Copyright (c) 2014 by MS Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
MS -- Blogmeister

Cool

5A

by MS

teacher: Mrs. B - Grade 5 (2010-2011)

Heart Dissection 04/01/11
My Most Honest Moment 03/28/11
I am From 03/28/11
Smelly 03/28/11
Trees 03/28/11
Muddy Shoes 03/28/11
Cent Mots 03/15/11
1st Expository Text 02/17/11
Ramlieh 01/18/11
Number Line 11/30/10
French Voki 11/03/10
My Reading Log Wordle 11/02/10
Typing 12/07/09
French Blog 02/19/09
My Goals 11/12/08
I'm a Wild One! 10/16/08

Title: 5A - Doctor Reports (05/17/11)

A small flu can lead you to your own immune system making a vital mistake for killing healthy neurons which ends up destroying your body. It happens very rarely and is not likely to happen but can happen any second. This disease weakens your body till you are very venerably which may lead you to death.

What Does The Disease Do?

Multiple sclerosis damages and destroys brain tissue, the tissue on the back of your spine, and neurons. Everything gets damaged by demylenation, which makes multiple sclerosis an autoimmune disease. An autoimmune disease occurs when your own immune system attacks healthy cells and tissue that are not doing anything bad to your body. This makes everything in your body weakened and destroyed. Your senses, your balance, your ability to move your arms and legs and so on will be affected. Multiple sclerosis is a disease of which we don’t know what produces the attacks or flare ups, but we do know what happens inside your body if you have it. Multiple sclerosis is a degenerative disease. This means it gets worse and worse every day.

Affecting The System

MS causes demylenation. Demylenation is when the myelin sheath gets damaged which does not allow messages to pass smoothly through the axon. The myelin sheath is the fatty cover that protects the cell. Demylenation happens when the immune system sends white blood cells to protect the body from viruses that barged in. The immune system makes a vital mistake be detecting normal cells as intruders and so the immune system starts to attack and kill the intruders they have detected which ends up weakening the body. Brain tissue also gets damaged by demylenation but brain tissue does not get damaged from the myelin sheath since brain tissue is not a cell. Multiple sclerosis can damage your entire body because it eliminates everything in the nervous system and the nervous system controls everything in your body.

*Did you know that J.K Rowling’s late mother suffered from Multiple sclerosis?  

Causes

There are certain diseases that no one knows for sure how you get them .MS is one of them. MS is a very mysterious disease that can affect you at any moment but you won’t feel anything at first. Neurologists are still trying to find out what causes the disease to prevent it from happening. You usually get MS between ages 20-40 but it can occur at any age. Multiple sclerosis is luckily not a contagious disease so if you live with someone who has the disease you can’t get it from him or her, no matter what you do. Mostly women get diagnosed with multiple sclerosis.

How Are We Going To Treat It?

There is no absolute cure for multiple sclerosis, but there are loads of treatments you can take if you have it. A drug was discovered in 1993.Now its more advanced and reduces the amount of demylenation happening. It even starts to close the patches in the myelin sheath. There are different treatments you can take because the treatment depends upon where the attack of MS takes place in your body

It is tough to live with multiple sclerosis because it would weaken your body harshly until you no longer can move your legs or arms and other horrible things. Not everybody dies when they are diagnosed with this horrible disease even though it takes over your body at some point. Luckily these days we have advanced medicine we have treatment that weakens the effect of multiple sclerosis.         

Bibliography:

Brill, Marlene Targ. Multiple Sclerosis. Tarrytown, NY: Marshall Cavendish Benchmark, 2008.

A note to the parents: This integrated science/language arts work was researched, written, typed and formatted by your child, in cooperation with the computer teacher (typing, formatting, internet research and bibliography), the librarians (research skills, paraphrasing, bibliography) and the homeroom teacher (research skills, paraphrasing, expository writing. We hope you are too.

Article posted May 17, 2011 at 12:06 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 305

Hepatitis; a Yellow Horror

Dr. A.S.

Imagine that you’re sitting on near an island in Africa. You find a half eaten sandwich and it looks sooooo good! You can’t resist temptation and take a bite of the sandwich. However, you forget that you have massive allergies and since it tastes soooo good, you start eating the whole thing! Uh oh… this is bad because the next morning you wake up finding that your skin and eyes turned yellow! Boy are you shocked! Imagine you are also loosing appetite, feeling dizzy, and finding out that you have very, very high fever! Well, looks like this is the first step that leads you on a journey to discover hepatitis.

Job of a Cardiologist

I am a cardiologist. I am a doctor that specializes in solving Problems that have to do with the cardiovascular system. For example if you have hepatitis I might be able to help you. I specialize in hepatitis (hep-at-ty-tis) 

Job of the Circulatory System

The job of the circulatory (Cirk-ulat-ory) system is to transport oxygen and food through your body and it also takes away waste. The parts of

the circulatory system are the heart, the blood, and the vessels. The heart pumps blood through your body. The blood transports oxygen through your body. The vessels function like roads.

What it Does to your Liver

The liver cleans the blood. It absorbs food and oxygen. The problem with hepatitis is that it affects the liver. It stops the liver from working well. Hepatitis makes the liver dirty and it stops absorbing the food.

Did you know that Mr. Andre got hepatitis in the year 2009

Problem

Hepatitis is a liver disease. The problem with having hepatitis is that it swells the liver due to an infection or an injury. If you have a very high fever, and your skin is turning yellow, you probably would have hepatitis.

Did you know that Steven Tyler had hepatitis for 7 months?

What hepatitis does

Hepatitis A makes you have rashes, fever, and weight loss. Hepatitis B makes you have cramps, excessive pain, itching, and dizziness. Hepatitis C makes you have yellow skin and yellow eyes, nausea, headaches, and sleep disturbances. Hepatitis D makes you have mood swings and some other stuff above because you can only get hepatitis D if you get hepatitis A, B, and C.

How you get it

You get hepatitis if you travel to tropical regions one after the other. Also if you drink contaminated (Chon-ta-min-ated) water or eat contaminated food. Hepatitis is also caused by major allergies, for example if you are allergic to peanuts and you eat them, there is a slight possibility you can get hepatitis. Hepatitis is contagious, so stay away from people who have it. Don’t take medications from other people. Go to the doctor and take medications from them because they are experts and they know what’s right for you!

How to treat it

If you ever get hepatitis you have to run to the hospital immediately!

At the hospital, the doctors would need to operate your liver depending on

What type of hepatitis you have. There is no medication however there is a

Vaccine you can take yearly to avoid getting hepatitis.

Did you know that Anne Marie Ballowe had hepatitis during a movie she was acting in?

Conclusion

So hepatitis is not a disease that leads to death, but it is still sivir. Even though you won’t have it forever, you will still, remember the day you had it if you did have it. Don‘t worry, there is and always will be a cure for hepatitis!

Bibliography: 

Hepatitis. Jacqueline Langwith - Greenhaven Press – 2010

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hepatitis

http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/bacterial_viral/hepatitis.html

Parkinson’sDisease;

The Shaking Palsy

Dr. RM, MD

Waking up in the morning, not being able to talk. If that happens to you, then that means you must be sick. Well there is one type of disease that does that to you, and that disease is called Parkinson’s disease. I’m pretty sure you hate being sick. Having this disease, you SHOULD hate being sick. Someone who has this disease will really wish they were dead.

Job of a Neurologist

I’m a neurologist (new-rol-le-gest). A neurologist is a doctor who specializes in the nervous system. A neurologist usually treats diseases that are found in the spinal cord or brain or nerves, I specialize in this one disease called Parkinson’s disease.

Nervous System

There are two parts of the nervous system. There is the PNS, which is the peripheral (pe-re-phe-ral) nervous system, and there is CNS, which stands for the central nervous system. The CNS consists of three parts: The brain, the spinal cord and the nerves. In the brain, there are three parts called the cerebrum, the cerebellum and the brainstem. The cerebrum is what controls your senses and your thinking. You cerebellum takes care of your movement and balance. And last of all your brainstem takes care of your involuntary (in-vo-lun-tery) actions such as your heart beat, breathing and digestion. The job of the spinal cord is to send the messages from the brain to the body and back, so basically the spinal cord is kind of like a messenger. In the PNS there are sensory nerve cells and motor nerve cells. SNC are your senses such as touch, hear, smell, taste and see. And MNC are what make your senses work.

Did you know that James Parkinson’s was the first to describe the Parkinson’s disease condition in his work, “An Essay on the Shaking Palsy?”

Symptoms

You can easily tell you have Parkinson’s (Par-ken-sons) disease, because you start shaking and your muscles become rigid. Your balance, coordination, and speed will decrease. Once you have Parkinson’s disease, you may also acquire dementia (Di-men-tia). Dementia is a mental condition that affects the brain so basically you forget almost everything you used to know and you will probably end up acting like a baby.

You may also experience swallowing difficulties and speaking problems. You may not like having Parkinson’s disease because you can’t really do anything anymore. You become dependent on other people.

Affecting the system

Parkinson’s disease is a progressive disease of the central nervous system. If a family member has Parkinson’s disease, he/she may pass it on. This disease is non-stop. When you get this disease, nerve cells in parts of the brain responsible for controlling body movements, will spread a chemical named dopamine. Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that is made by the brains organisms. Dopamine is found in the CNS and it’s also linked with the brains complex systems. Dopamine is critical to the way the brain controls our movements. If you don’t have enough, you can’t move: If you have too much, uncontrollable movements. It will also increase pulse and blood pressure. In Parkinson’s disease, the dopamine transmitting neurons die. The brains of people with Parkinson’s disease have almost no dopamine. They give the adult called L-DOPA that can be converted in the brain to dopamine. The neurotransmitters are what affect the system. But also it’s the medications. If you take a depressant, it will slow your system down. Which means the system won’t work as fast. In Parkinson’s disease some patients have to take stronger medications.

People whom get this Disease

Some researchers say that Parkinson’s disease is a genetic, but most people don’t know how you get it. The word genetic (Ge-ne-tic) means that it’s inherited from birth like from a parent. The cause could also be because of environmental pollutants. Environ-mental (En-vi-ro-mental) pollutants mean you can get it from pollutant. It is more usual for middle-aged and old people to get Parkinson’s disease, but it can also spread to young adults. Parkinson’s disease is a very common disease in fact it occurs all over the world! It is more likely for men to get it more than women, but still women get it too.

Did you know that Jean-Martin changed “Shaking Palsy” to “Parkinson’s disease?”

The Treatment

You can treat Parkinson’s disease, but you cannot cure it. You have to take medications such as Artane and Derynl. Artane (Ar-taane) can greatly reduce the shaking in your hand. Deprynl (Dep-re-nel) is supposed to slowdown the progression of the disease. Some Parkinson’s patients do not respond well to drug treatment, so they have to take stronger medication that may affect other systems.

Did you know that Michael J. Fox was the first actor to get Parkinson’s disease?

So now that you know about Parkinson’s disease, you can tell that you have it. You should know how to treat it and you should know how you get it and what this disease does to you. Ok well not all people die with this disease but some do! You should also know that you would not like to have this disease and I think you know why….

Bibliography:

Silverstein, Alvin, Virginia B. Silverstein, and Laura Silverstein. Nunn. Parkinson's Disease. Berkeley Heights, NJ: Enslow Pub., 2002.

Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome; the Risk Taker

Dr. MD

The risk taking, deadly, but non-contagious disease is here. You are sick in bed with a mere pneumonia. In the next two days of your sickness you find out that you have a new sickness call ARDS. The reason it is so risk taking is because the treatment can kill you. The good news is that it is a non-contagious disease. The bad news is that it is deadly and prevents you from doing the things you love.

My Job

My name is Dr. Jeremy Toubia and I am a cardiologist (car-de-o-lo-gist) and I specialize in the cardiovascular system. The cardiovascular system contains two systems together, first the circulatory system and then the respiratory system that work together to make the cardiovascular system. I work in a hospital and help patients with lung diseases which affect the respiratory (res-per-a-tory) system that cuts the body’s function and systems.

The Job of the system

The circulatory system’s job is to transport nutrients, wastes, and oxygen. Another job of the circulatory system is to keep the organism alive. The circulatory system contains three organism, the blood, the heart, and blood vessels. The blood which is the most important organ has three parts, red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets. Red blood cells carry oxygen and carbon dioxide. They get oxygen from the lungs, then go to the heart, and then get carbon dioxide from the body. White blood cells fight of germs (invaders) and diseases that affect the body. Platelet’s job is to make blood clots cuts. Blood clots are when you have a cut in a blood vessel then the platelets come in and repair the vessel that nothing goes wrong. If one system in the whole body does not function right then the body won’t function. Now that is why each and every system is equally important.

Symptoms

The main symptom of ARDS is that you experience shortness of breath due to oxygen levels. Lots of people who have ARDS may also be susceptible to attract H1N1 (swine-flu) and kidney failure. You also may appear to have problems breathing and moving becomes difficult.

The Disease

This disease is called Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS). Acute means it happens suddenly at a certain time in life. Respiratory is the oxygen supply system in your body. A distress is when you have a great strain of difficulties which makes it harder to breathe. Syndrome is a big group of symptoms to make a disease. ARDS is infamous for its rapid onset. The syndrome, ARDS, was first described by Dr. Ashbaugh in 1967.

The Affect on the System

ARDS is a really affective disease that can be or will be an enemy to you. ARDS affects you by inflaming your lungs which makes it harder for you to breath. Inflammation will cause endothelial dysfunction. Endothelial Dysfunction is when the fluid formed in the is not being drained from the lungs.

The Cause of the Disease

Usually you get ARDS when you have an acute injury or illness which is most likely to be pneumonia. ARDS is most common at the age of 47 or older. Sometimes ARDS happen because there is an air-leak in the lungs. An air-leak is when the little holes in the lungs get pressure and end up trying to get bigger or maybe even burst.

How ARDS is Treated

ARDS is treated with Mechanical Ventilation. Mechanical Ventilation is one of the essential parts of the treating of ARDS and is the most traditional treatment. The most appropriate medicine is an antibiotic therapy and must be used as soon as microbiological culture results available. The overall goal in treatment is to uphold gas exchange and to minimize adverse affects which is to avoid getting any unknown or major problems within the lungs. I, as a cardiologist use PEEP (Positive End Expiratory Pressure) to keep maximum recruiting of Alveolar units which come from the alveoli. 

Conclusion

So what if this disease is not contagious. Still, sometimes you never know when you could get ARDS because it is like a stealth disease. The reason why it is so deadly is because it is very rare and could kill. So if you worry about the disease, I say expect the unexpected.

A note to the parents: This integrated science/language arts work was researched, written, typed and formatted by your child,  in cooperation with the computer teacher (typing, formatting, internet research and bibliography), the librarians (research skills, paraphrasing, bibliography) and the homeroom teacher (research skills, paraphrasing, expository writing). We are proud of this work. We hope you are too.

Article posted May 17, 2011 at 12:00 PM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 440

Autism; the Frustration of Not Communicating

Dr.SP,MD

People, who can’t express themselves, get so frustrated. Eventually leads to tantrums. You can’t die from it but you wish you were dead sometimes. You think that and act like that because you have autism. You are born with the disease. You can’t get away from that disease.

Job of a Neurologist

I am a neurologist (new-rol-le-gest). I am a doctor specialized in the nervous system. I treat autism (au-tis-sim). Patients come to see me in the clinic when they suffer from autism.

Nervous System

Autism is affecting your nervous system. What is a nervous system you ask? The nervous system controls all body activities, and it consists of the brain, spinal cord, and the nerves. The brain and the spinal cord are part of the central nervous system. The nerves in the outer part of the body make up the peripheral nervous system. The autonomic nervous systems are the nerves that are near the center of your body and they take care of all involuntary action. The brain includes three parts; the cerebrum, cerebellum, and the brain stem. The cerebrum controls the same muscle movement, five senses, memory, voluntary movements, and thinking. The cerebellum organizes the coordination, movement, and balance. The brainstem manages the involuntary movements. The nervous system’s job is to sense things, sensory nerve cells and move things, motor nerve cell. First the sensory nerve cell senses things then the message goes through the nerve to the spinal cord and to the brain. The brain gives a command and the massage and travels back to the spinal cord to the motor nerve cell. A neuron has the dendrites that are long spidery looking long things with the cell body that is an egg looking things with an axon that is a size of a thick rope. The axon terminal is attached to the axon and sends messages to the next neuron. When you are in a life threatening or in a dangerous situation, your messages take the shortcut. The messages go to the spinal cord back to the motor nerve cells. Between the neurons are little spaces called synapse.

Did you know that autistic people have savant skills, such as multiplying 142536*3546 and they can do it mentally and they can be extremely smart in other things too?

Symptoms

An autistic person may be unusual in several ways. They may say a word over and over, have tantrums, flap their hands, or only play with a certain toy. They don’t like changes in their schedule and environment. They also like it when their toys are arranged in a certain way. They get upset when the toys are moved from their place. Symptoms of autism often appear when children are still babies. They don’t want to eat, they never smile or they look away when someone talks. They’re uninterested in their surroundings and they scream when they want something rather than ask.  They rock, spin, bang heads and walk on toes. They stare at hands, like only a certain toy and become sensitive on textures and in sounds.

Did you know that when you have autism you can get a seizure and cause problems in the body?  

Disease

Autism is a disability of mental growth. Autism begins before the age of four. They are born with autism. It is a genetic disease, which is passed on. It is when patients can’t socialize with other people. Autism can have a four year old body but a one year old brain. But they are not retarded.

Affecting the system

Autism affects the sensory integration. Sensory integration is how people use the information of sense coming to them. Senses deliver the picture of the world around us. Your senses coordinate to complete the understanding of what is around us, who we are, and where you are etc. Then your brain uses the information about your senses and control from the knowledge of your sensory experience. They experience the world around them different than normal people.  For example we can touch a soft thing and it can be very painful for an autistic person.

The causes

1 out of every 100 people has autism. Maybe somebody can get it because it is genetic. We don’t know what causes autism because the human brain is complicated. Males may get it more than females. You can’t get autism from one another person like flu. Autism can be affected by Rett grey matter of the brain that affects females Syndrome (A Rett syndrome is a disorder of the more commonly than males. The medical features include small hands and feet and a deceleration of the rate of head growth .Repetitive hand movements, such as wringing and putting hands into the mouth, are also observed). And Fragile x Syndrome (Fragile X syndrome is a genetic condition involving changes in part of the chromosome. Autism is a common disease.

Treatment

We can’t cure or treat autism, but therapists, doctors, or special teachers can help the autistics people to learn how to speak, write, and blend in with other people. When you go to a special school, the earlier, the better. Therapist helps autistic people to communicate with “normal” people. Communication is the most important step for learning. When you learn how to communicate, the easier things are going to be for them. Some way or another they are going to talk. Therapist also help autistic people learn how to greet people, wait for a turn, and follow directions, these are called social skills. Some kids need help with things like brushing their teeth or making a bed. Some kids take medication, because they can’t control their temper, sit still, and their behavior. Till now there is no cure for autism.

Even though autism can’t be cured, you can treat the frustration. You can do something to help them. And although you can’t understand them you can donate money so scientists can discover more about.

Did you know that the word autism comes from the Greek word “auto” which means self and Eugen Bleuler: a Swiss Psychiatrist used the word autism first?

Bibliography:

Brill, Marlene Targ. Autism. New York: Marshall Cavendish Benchmark, 2008.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/83/Autismbrain.jpg

http://www.byhealth.com/files/nervous-system.jpg

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002633/

http://kidshealth.org/kid/health_problems/brain/autism.html

http://answers.yahoo.com/

http://School.familyeducation.com

http://www.webmd.com/brain/autism/history-of-autism

A note to the parents:

This integrated science/language arts work was researched, written, typed and formatted by your child, in cooperation with the computer teacher (typing, formatting, internet research and bibliography), the librarians (research skills, paraphrasing, bibliography) and the homeroom teacher (research skills, paraphrasing, expository writing. We hope you are too.

Article posted May 17, 2011 at 11:54 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 598

Mad Cow Disease: Bovine Death Threat

You might like beef. But the next bight you take might be the end of your life. The disease you might get is Mad Cow Disease (MCD) also Known as Creutsfelt-Jacob Disease (CJD). That is because the man who first discovered MCD is named Jacob Creutsfelt. You will know if you have MCD!

My Job

I am a neurologist. That means I specialize in diseases in the nervous system. I someone has a disease in the nervous I may be able to cure it. I deal with patients in my clinic

Job of the Nervous System

The nervous system controls all actions in your body. It does to by sending messages to your body using the spinal cord. If you damage your spinal cord your messages will cut off from your body and you will be paralyzed. The brain is divided into three parts. The cerebrum takes up 85-90% of your brain. It controls your memory and your 5 senses. The cerebellum controls your coordination. And the brain stem it takes care of all involuntary actions.

CNS: Are the brain and the spinal cord.

PNS: nerves that go to the outer part of your body.

Did you know that MCD is also known as CJD?

ANS: the nerves that go to the inner part of your body.

The Symptoms

MCD is a very deadly and fatal disease. The disease is quick because you will die within six months of the first symptom. At the beginning of the disease you will seem more nervous than usual. You will also have trouble walking. Later you will be aggressive and uncooperative. The symptoms of animals that have MCD are the same.

The problem

MCD also known as CJD is a deadly disease. It affects the system in a drastic way. Holes will appear in your brain giving it a spongy like look. This happens because the neurons in your brain will eventually die. MCD is caused by prions. Prions are proteins that cause you to get a disease. Your body might be infected but there is a time period between the infection and when you get the disease. When prions enter your body you cannot kill them because they are not alive. Prions will spread around your nervous system, killing your nerve cells.

What does it do?

MCD is a deadly disease. MCD also Known as CJD, makes you lose your memory. It also damages your cerebellum because you will lose your balance and coordination. MCD is a very fatal disease; you will die in months or maybe even weeks. Your brain cells will die. And you will get holes in your brain which gives your brain a spongy like form.

Causes

You can acquire MCD by eating infected beef. This is caused by prions. Prions are small proteins that cause you to the disease. Prions are not alive. Prions naturally accure in your body, so they are not recognized as foreign so they don’t stimulate the immune system. They have the potential to harm you, but won’t automatically harm you.

Treatment

There is no treatment to MCD. Nor is there a cure. But you can avoid it by not eating beef. There is no other way.

MCD is a very deadly disease. There is no cure or treatment. And it affects the system in a very drastic way. MCD affects the brain, the brain is part of the nervous system. There are many symptoms to MCD. MCD is a rare disease.

Bibliography:

Information:

Philadelphia: Chelsea House Publishers, 2005. Ferreiro, Carmen. Mad cow disease (Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy) .

A diagram of the disease

Did you know that the person who discovered MCD is called Jacob creutsfelt?

Did you know that cows with MCD eat other cows?

A diagram of prions

Article posted May 17, 2011 at 11:52 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 1590

It is probably the slowest way to die. The most painful is when you hear the name of the disease. A disease that anybody feel. A disease that blocks up vessels. A disease that is called Sickle Cell Anemia.

Who Am I?

I’m a cardiologist. I am a doctor specialized in Sickle Cell Anemia. My job is to help treat patients in the hospital. This disease affects the blood in the circulatory system.

People that have sickle cell anemia have jaundice would affect the skin of a person and the eye to become yellowish tint. People that have this disease would have pain in the chest, stomach, legs or other parts of the body. This disease blocks the blood flow to the body.

Symptoms

The symptoms can appear in any body part, organ or tissue including aching arms, legs, hips and shoulders. When people have this disease they may get acute chest syndrome, pain, fever, cough, and hard trouble breathing. Sickle Cell Anemia can block a person’s blood flow and if you have this disease you may grow more slowly.

Did you know that if you have Sickle Cell Anemia for a long time a person can get stroke?

System

The human circulatory system consists of the blood vessels, muscles and organs that help control the blood flow of the blood and lymph around the body. It is collective composed of the cardiovascular system and the lymphatic system with the heart, arteries, capillaries and the veins of the blood being the main part. The circulatory system moves nutrients, gases, and wastes to and from cells.

It is called the circulatory system, because it involves the circulation of fluids in the body.

It is divided into three different parts

1: The Heart

2: The Blood

3: The Blood Vessels

The Heart

The heart is an amazing organ. The heart beats about 3 billion times during an average life time. Its muscles are

about the size of your fists. The heart is located in the center of your chest slightly to the left. Its job is to pump your blood and keep the blood moving throughout your body.

Blood

Red Blood Cells: are responsible for carrying oxygen and carbon dioxide, from and to the lungs. White blood cells: help the body fight of the germs. White blood cells fight and attach germs when they enter your body. Platelets: are blood cells that help stop bleeding.

Did you know that if a person has sickle cell anemia he can maybe stay with this disease for his whole life?

Vessels

The blood is an amazing substance that is constantly flowing throws our bodies. Your blood is pumped by the heart. Your blood travels through thousands of miles of blood vessels right within your own body. A young person has about of a gallon of blood.

Sickle cell Anemia blocks a person’s blood flow, by making kind of a blood cell into a blade. All of the blades get stuck together in a blood vessel and other parts. It gets stuck there and stops the flow of the blood to other body parts. These disease tureens’ your skin and the whites of your eye to become dark yellow. This is called jaundice Jaundice may give you severe pain in your chest, stomach, legs and other parts of the body.

Causes Sickle Cell anemia is a disease that you inherit from your decent. Mostly people that are of African American and Middle Eastern decent. Get this disease from any one from your family how it has. That is why it is a genetic disease; it is passed on through the gene.

Treatment

Sickle Cell Anemia can be treated. The treatment is taking a Vitamin and acid. Drinking a lot of fluids will help avoiding pain. People with this disease may need more blood and this can take place through a blood transfusion.

Conclusion

Now you know what this disease effects. You know what the cure is and you know how you get it. So basecly you

know everything. So always be sure if you have Sickle Cell Anemia.

Did you know that they first used the name Sickle Cell Anemia in 1922 by Verne Mason?

Article posted May 17, 2011 at 11:52 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 603

Paralyzing Pain

I am a neurologist

new-ro-lo-gist) .My job is to cure people with diseases in the Nervous System ,which includes the brain ,the spinal cord, and the nerves .I work in a hospital, and I am specialized in patients with polio.

Nervous System

The job of the Nervous System is to control all activities in your body! It does so by sending to and from the brain. The messages go from the nerves then to the spinal cord finally to the brain (that is how the messages travel.) and back again.PNS stands for (Peripheral Nervous System ) (per-if-eral) CNS stands for (Central Nervous System)ANS stands for (Autonomic Nervous System) (o-to-no-mic) .

The PNS: Nerves that go to the outer part of your body.

The CNS: That includes the brain and spinal cord.

The ANS: Is the smaller part of the PNS it is the nerves that reach close to the inner part of your body.

Did you know that

Polio is only in four countries now?

Parts of the Nervous System

The Central Nervous System (CNS) consists of the brain, spinal cord, and nerves. The job of the brain is to control the body. The job of the Spinal Cord is to receive messages from the nerves and send the to the brain. The job of the nerves is to send the

messages. The Peripheral Nervous System (PNS) includes the, Motor Nerve Cell (MNC) and the Sensory Nerve Cells (SNC). Messages travel from neurons to neurons theres a space between them called "Synapse."

Did you know that

Polio cannot

be cured?

Problem / Symptoms

The polio virus attacks nerve cells .These control the muscles of the legs, arms,trunk, diaphragm, abdomen, and pelvis. A diaphragm: is a sheet of muscle that separates the cavities of the chest. Abdomen: is the part of the body between the chest and the hips.

Pelvis: A basin shaped structure in the skeleton of many vertebrate formed by the pelvis girdle and the nearby bones of the spine.

Causes

Polio causes nerve cells to die. Children

Get it often. Some people that are infected show no symptoms at all. Polio incubate period can last from four to thirty-five days.

Incubate: is to maintain (as bacteria or a chemically active system)under conditions good for development or reaction.

Affecting the system

Polio affects nerves to die. It damages the brain and the spinal neurons. It often leads to permanent paralysis. It hits the spinal cord and brain (the neurons that send messages to the brain.)The virus will kill the neurons which can affect any limb.

The Causes

Polio is a virus that is transmitted through drinking dirty liquids containing germs. Sharing food with an infected person and from the stool. The doctor asks a list of questions and examines the patient.

Treatment

Although the symptoms of Polio can be treated by medicine, polio cannot be cured. You can prevent getting polio with a vaccination. The polio vaccine has to be taken over 4 doses. The vaccine will stop the patient from getting the disease. Studies showed

that 99% of the people who get the vaccine, don’t get polio.

.1 dose at 2 months.

.1 dose at 4 months.

.1 dose at 6-8 months.

.A booster dose at 4-6 years.

Did you know that

the Polio Vaccine is taken over 4 doses?

Conclusion

I have learned a lot from the disease Polio and how does it affect the children in general in all the world. I learned also the importance of teaching mothers about taking care of their kids by giving them the vaccine on time in order to save their children’s life. Thanks to Rotary Clubs that collected enough money to provide vaccination to all kids .

Thanks to them the disease is not spreading any more .

Bibliography:

Information:

Hecht, Alan, and I. Edward Alcamo.

Polio . Philadelphia: Chelsea House Pub., 2003.

World Book focus on terrorism

Grandfather

. Chicago: World Book, 2003.

Images:

[LINK]

[LINK]

Dr. YA, MD

Polio:

I am glad that I am a neurologist, even though I didn’t really like it in the beginning. But then I got more interested in Polio especially when I learned that it affects mainly children that are poor and live in far areas where they cannot the vaccination. Four countries in Afghanistan, Pakistan, India and Nigeria. I got some information from my grandfather because he is a pediatric who gave vaccinations to thousands of kids. I was lucky to see him giving the vaccine to my sister and to many other kids.

Job of the Neurologist

Article posted May 17, 2011 at 11:49 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 505

A deadly disease with only one cure. A cure that is hard and may not be successful. That came after an injury that weekend your heart, you might make you might not. You are in a matter of life and death!!

Cardiovascular System

There are many cells in your body. The word cell (se-ll-a) comes from the Latin word cella, which means small room. Each cell has a different size and shape depending on its job. Many cells working together make a tissue. An example of a tissue is a muscle. When many tissues work together they make an organ. Your heart is an organ.

Did you know that over 5 million Americans get heart failure every year??

When many organs work together they make a system, an example of the system would be the digestive system. Many systems that work together make you! The circulatory or cardiovascular system is the system that you have a problem with. It consists of the heart, blood, and vessels. The heart is the main pump of the system. It pumps blood around the body. There are four chambers in the heart, two arteries and two ventricles. The ones on the bottom are the ventricles, and the ones on the top are the arteries. The vessels are the roads. The blood transports oxygen (ox-e-jen) and food to the cells, and takes away carbon dioxide (kar-bon-di-ox-ide) which it exchanges in the lungs for oxygen. There are many types of vessels. There are arteries (art-er-ies), veins (vai-ens), and capillaries (cap-ill-aries). Veins carry

deoxygenated or blue blood to the heart. Arteries take oxygenated (ox-i-jen-ate-ed) or red blood away from the heart. Capillaries connect the veins and arteries. So the oxygen and nutrients diffuse (di-if

f-use) into the cells. The largest artery is the aorta (ae-or-ta), it is big enough for your entire finger to fit. The heart pumps the blood then the blood goes to the lungs to pick up oxygen then it enters the heart then goes to the body to give oxygen and gather carbon dioxide, afterwards goes to the heart, from there it goes to the lungs to exchange the carbon dioxide for oxygen. Then it goes all over again.

Circulatory system

Symptoms of Heart Failure:

Heart failure has a number of symptoms. They could include shortness of breath or swelling of hands and feet, coughing and white or pink blood coming out. You will not be able to concentrate well, sudden gain of weight nausea (na-see-ya), and you will find it difficult to exercise. Yomay also get chest pain if it is caused by heart attack. If you heart failure you may die.

Did you know that you can get heart failure from eating too much salt and drinking too much water??

What is The Problem?

Systolic (sis-to-lik) heart failure is when your heart has difficulties pumping blood, because it cannot contract. If you think it is horrible there is one that is worse, the diastolic (di-a-sto-lik) heart failure. This means your heart muscles are stiff, and cannot relax to let blood get out.

The most common type of heart failure is the chronic heart failure. Over time many other conditions like, coronary artery disease will make the heart too weak to function properly and pump blood. You usually get heart failure on both sides of your heart. Though you can sometimes be lucky and get it on only one side. It has a very big effect on your circulatory system. When the heart does not pump enough blood to exceed the bodies needs or any blood at all what will deliver the blood?

How Can You Get Heart Failure?

You can get this disease if you have or had an infection that weekend your heart. For example: A heart attack (hart-att-ak) means that your coronary arteries are blocked) a heart valve disease (val-ve-dis-es), and cardiovascular disease (car-dio-vas-q-lar-dis-ees). If you have an infectioin or injury in your heart, and you drink water and eat salt together or at the same time you may get heart failure. It is most likely for old people to get though young people can get it too.

How Do You Cure Heart Failure?

You cannot really cure a heart failure. The only way to solve the problem is heart transplantation. Medication can be provided but only to stop it from getting worse. If you would like, I have listed some drugs that may help.

Did you know that in the old days pharmacists would chop up a foxglove plant to help a patient with “heart trouble”?

There is Diuretics which is known as water pills. It signals the kidney to produce more urine so the body can get rid of the waste that is backed up in the lungs, feet, and arms. This reduces the swelling of arms and feet. If you got heart failure because of drinking too much water and salt, a diuretic helps, because your body cannot digest the water with salt .So when the kidney produces more urine the water gets out. Another drug named Digitalis which is found in the Foxglove plant. What Digitalis does is it makes the heart beats stronger. You also have Hydralazine, Parzosin, and Nitroglycerin.

Conclusion

Heart failure is a deadly disease you don’t want to get. If you had an injury you might get it. It is very hard to cure which is why it is deadly.

Bibliography:

www.Mayoclinic.com

www.nicb.nlm.nih.govpubmedhealthPMH0001211

[LINK]

[LINK]

[LINK]