Copyright (c) 2014 by AHP Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
AHP -- Blogmeister

5C

by AHP

teacher: Mrs. B - Grade 5 (2010-2011)

Title: 5C - Visitors (11/27/10)
Description: Make sure your Visitor reflection is on your blog.

Article posted November 11, 2010 at 07:46 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 70

The Cardiologist and the Dietitian

On Thursday November 4 2010 the day the dietitian Miss Jeanette Karam came, she helped and informed me about healthy and junk food and she told me how much of each type of food should I eat and that helped me a lot. After the dietitian left Dr. Antoine Abchee the cardiologist came and he talked about the body and the heart and that really helped

Article posted November 23, 2010 at 07:24 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 46

The Visitors

Miss Jeanette Karam taught us about what is healthy and what is not healthy to eat. She talked about what grains, fruits, vegetables and oils might do to your heart and to your body .She told us that fruits and vegetables are good for you, but if you eat too much you will have a stomach ache. It is also bad to eat too much grains and oils.

Dr.Antoine Abchee told us what is good for your heart and what is not healthy for your heart. He told us that 15 cigarettes are the same as a cigar and 20 cigarettes are as big as a Hubble bubble.  He also told us if there are 1,000 people that smoke and another 1,000 that don’t smoke the people that smoke will get sicker. 

Article posted November 23, 2010 at 07:11 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 41

I learned a lot from our first and second visitors. I’m going to talk about the first visitor because she came in first her name was Miss Jeanette Karam, she was a dietitian she spoke about stuff that I really never knew about. The first thing was that I hadn’t been eating fruits and she said that the fiber can stop your arteries from clogging, she also said that brown sugar was better  than white sugar I thought the exact opposite! She said that boiled vegetables are worse but still good than not boiled not cooked and not fried vegetables because when they get baked all the fiber and the anti-oxidants witch make your arteries stop clogging and the vitamin C out of the vegetable. Our second visitor witch name was

Our second visitor is called Dr.Antoine Abchee he was a cardiologist he spoke about the heart and many different types of heart problems he spoke a kind of machine called a defibulator that can make your heart to continue pumping. He spoke about a patient he had that was thirteen years old and lost his life from his arteries clogging. I never knew that all of the fast food restaurants like Burger King and KFC use the waste of the chicken and meat to make the disgusting fake chicken to persuade people to eat but that doesn’t mean that you can’t eat it you could eat it but once in a blue moon. He also talked about cigarettes that when you inhale the smoke you are mixing chemicals and forming a sticky substance called Tar it sticks to your lungs and it makes you be breathing toughly. When one or two people smoking in the same room you’re in your smoking with them. Smoking makes your heart turn black and your lungs turn black also and of course he said that smoking is really bad for everyone. I thank them for coming to our class during their free time I thank them a lot!

Article posted November 11, 2010 at 07:43 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 46

The Visitors

Once the visitors came I was so excited. I knew we were going to learn something new. So onceMiss Jeanette Karam our dietician we wanted to know someinformation. So we learned that we have to have important food in our meal every day. The foods we are suppose to have every day in our meal is wheat, vegetables and fruits. She also gave us fruits and vegetables to eat at the end and we learned when we put vegetables with water in a pan to heat them, all the iron and the calcium goes from the vegetables. When Dr. Antoine Abchee came also exited and he even got a heart model to pass around and to see the a Aorta and the rooms in the heart. I also learned that the septum in the heart that separates the left chamber from the right is not that fat and big it was just a thin medium sized muscle. I asked the Dr. that is it ok if a grown man drinks alcohol every day after his meal, he said yes but all our lungs willbecome black and we will start coughing and you will recommends exercising. He told us not to smoke because have to go to the ER so they can fix your lungs, and if you smoke again you will possibly die or suffer all your life, but if you stop smoking and you take care of yourself you will survive in a good way. When you smoke your heart even gets tired and when your heart gets tired sometimes your brain gets tired with your heart. The Hubble Bubble is a like a smoker and 30 puffs of this Hubble bubble is like 15 cigarettes. The cigar is evenworse than the cigarettes.

Article posted November 11, 2010 at 07:45 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 41

Our Visitors

On Thursday we had a dietitian and cardiologist come to our class and answer our questions about the heart and our diet.  Miss Jeanette Karam came first at 9:20 and answered our questions on diets and healthy food.  I learned that we should have some carbohydrates in every meal and a healthy lunch has at least four food groups in them.  She also talked about how vegetables have fiber which has anti-oxidants that eat cholesterol.   After that she had a basket of fruits and vegetables and offered some to us.

At 2:20 Dr. Antoine Abchee came and answered our questions on the cardiovascular system.  He brought a model heart and showed us what would happen to your heart if you had certain sicknesses.  I learned that you can burn fat from your arteries by exercising.  Your HDL level goes up and eats the cholesterol and delivers it to the liver.  After that experience I decided to take better care of my heart and health.

Article posted February 13, 2009 at 10:53 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 36

The Dietitian and the Cardiologist

We had 2 visitors coming to our class first we had a dietitian, her name was Miss Jeanette Karam, she told us about what we should eat on a daily bases, I learned what foods that I didn’t know belonged in fruits orvegetables for example a tomato, some people are telling me that it’s a fruit and some peopleare telling me that it’s a vegetable so when she came I knew,a tomato is a fruit.

The second visitor came at the end of the day, his name was Dr. Antoine Abchee, Nicolas’s dad, I learned lots of new facts, I learned that when you sit down for a long time then you stand up you feel dizzy, because the blood will drop all the way down to your legs and it willtake time for the blood to reach up to your head. I also learned that even if you eat on a good diet and you exercise a lot your heart can stop, because the brain might send thewrong message to the heart to slow down, or it could be from your family because maybe someone from your family has it, you can have it too he also told us that you have to be careful because out of nowhere, you can have a heart attack so you have to take care of yourself

It was the best experience ever!!!!

Article posted November 11, 2010 at 08:07 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 43

In 5c we had two visitors come to our class Miss Jeanette Karam, and Dr. Antoine Abchee. Miss Jeanette Karam is dietitian, she talked to us about are diets for are everyday lives. We got a lot of knew information from her such as if you eat steamed vegetables its better than if you eat fried vegetables. And cheek if something is expired, expired food can affect you. And she handed us a food primed to show us how much of each part of the primed were supposed to have in our diet. And don’t have chocolate on a daily bases, and never skip breakfast if you do you won’t be able to get energy.

Later that same day Dr.Antoine Abchee visited us he is a cardiologist. We talked about our body did you know your heart never stops beating, and your brain is always sending signals to your body and you can replace a kids heart with a grownups heart. And fish is better than red meat. And plane oranges are better than squeezed oranges because when you squeeze oranges all the vitamin C comes out.

Well that’s it bye.

Article posted November 11, 2010 at 07:41 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 41

Reflection of What we Learned from our Visitors-Miss Jeanette Karam and Dr. Antoine Abchee

When our two visitors came, I learned so many facts about the heart and what is healthy for us. Early in the morning, our dietitian, Jeanette Karam came to speak about what is healthy, I learned many interesting facts that I told to my dad and mom just when I left school. She put a basket of fruits and some vegetables for us to eat. She said that we should eat fruits and exercise on a daily basis- which I don’t do. Later in the afternoon, our cardiologist Dr. Antoine Abchee came and told us about the heart. He brought a model of the heart and told us stories and things that could happen / happened about the heart. We asked him questions and he answered them. I learned so many things, and I decided to exercise, eat fruits every day and never to smoke or drink alcohol.

Article posted November 11, 2010 at 08:09 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 41

Our Visitors                  

On Thursday two visitors come to our class Miss Jeanette Karam and Dr.Antoine Abchee. Miss. Jeanette Karam is a dietitian and Dr.Antoine Abchee is a cardiologist. I learned that fish have antioxidants and that antioxidants help stop your arteries from clogging. I learned that eating a lemon is better than drinking orange juice because when you squeeze the orange a lot of the vitamin C gets lost. When you exercise your HDL level becomes high and it removes the fat from the arteries and takes them to your liver and kidneys. And I learned that a child can replace his heart with a grownup

Article posted November 30, 2010 at 07:57 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 43

Miss Jeanette Karam:

I learned a lot from Miss Jeanette Karam like what food is good for you and what’s bad like vegetables, meat, milk, fruits, very, very, little quantity of butter. I learned that when you bake or fry fruits the fiber and vitamins will get lost but when you steam them lots of the fiber and vitamins. And omega 3 contains HDL which goes into the arteries and takes away LDL and stores it in the liver and it gets rid of it.

Dr. Antoine Abchee:

I learned a lot from Dr. Antoine Abchee like that your arteries are white and what happens when you smoke, and when you smoke how does it affect your heart and I asked him , “In 5B when they dissected the heart there tar on the lungs ,how come?”And he said,”Maybe he lived in a smoky environment.”I also learned that blood fat runs through blood.

Article posted November 11, 2010 at 07:52 AM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 34

5c visitors

On Thursday we had two visitors Miss Jeanette Karam and DR.Antoine Abchee MISS Jeanette is a dietitian and Dr.Abchee is a cardiologist. In the morning when Miss Jeanette was there I learned a lot like if you eat a lot of sugar free gum it affects or causes liver problems or kidney problems because of the sweetener inside which is artificial sugar. We also learned about the fibers that come from fruits and that the fibers have anti oxidants that help to burn the cholesterol in the arteries and she handed us a food premed so it can help us with are food diet. I think it will really help me for now and later on in my life. Later on in the day the cardiologist arrived and he talked about how smoking affects your cardiovascular system and respiratory system and about how heart failure happens or when the ventricles all work at the same time and they all get mixed up because of an electric signal sent by your brain. And it was a great experience.

Article posted November 11, 2010 at 07:55 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 39

We are learning about the heart. We are lucky because two visitors are coming to talk about our diet and our heart. One of our visitors is a dietitian and her name is Jeanette Karam. Our dietitian came to school at 9:20 she talked about our diet and what we should be eating and what we should be not eating. She talked about all the vitamins we need to keep our body healthy. She also talked about the food pyramid and what kind of food is in the food pyramid. We talked about fruits. Fruits have fibers and anti-oxidants. The anti-oxidants help your arteries by not clogging.                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

Now it’s time for the second visitor. His name is Dr.Antoin abchee. He is a cardiologist. He is going to talk about the heart with us. First we talked about the health of the heart and how to take care of it. Then he showed us a model of the heart and how it functions. He told us a lot of information about the heart. He told us that if you eat too much fatty products you will have high cholesterol. He also told us if you smoke your heart and lungs will turn black and if you smoke to much you might have an open heart surgery or a bypass surgery.

It was really awesome to have them!

Article posted November 23, 2010 at 06:55 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 36

You can enter the text of your blog here!

I entered the classroom finding Miss Jeanette Karam standing up. The dietitian started explaining to us about our health and the type of food that we need to eat. We were given a food pyramid that had the different categories: grains, fruits, vegetables, oils, and milk. I found out that too much of one category isn’t really good. I discovered that sugar might block our arteries. Tea isn’t good for us to drink every day because of all the caffeine it has.  Steamed vegetables are better than boiled vegetables because the vitamins and fiber get lost in the water. Fiber contains antioxidants which burn the fat in the arteries. It’s healthier to eat oranges than drink orange juice because very little vitamins are left. Even if we squeeze the juice it’s still not as healthy as the fruit itself

A few hours later, a cardiologist called Dr. Antoine Abchee came to class and explained to us ways we could keep our circulatory system healthy.  I found out a bit of alcohol is healthy for adults, especially red wine, but even though, exercise is much healthier. Addictions could really effect a person, for example, smoking.

Article posted November 11, 2010 at 07:39 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 43

file:///C:DOCUME~1�5-1403LOCALS~1Tempmsohtmlclip1�1clip_filelist.xml" target="_blank">file:///C:DOCUME~1�5-1403LOCALS~1Tempmsohtmlclip1�1clip_filelist.xml" rel="File-List" />

file:///C:DOCUME~1�5-1403LOCALS~1Tempmsohtmlclip1�1clip_themedata.thmx" target="_blank">file:///C:DOCUME~1�5-1403LOCALS~1Tempmsohtmlclip1�1clip_themedata.thmx" rel="themeData" />

file:///C:DOCUME~1�5-1403LOCALS~1Tempmsohtmlclip1�1clip_colorschememapping.xml" target="_blank">file:///C:DOCUME~1�5-1403LOCALS~1Tempmsohtmlclip1�1clip_colorschememapping.xml" rel="colorSchemeMapping" />

The Visitors

When the dietitian Jeannette Karam came to my class we learned about what we should eat daily and what food is good for you. She said sea food is good for you because it has a lot of omega three. We learned about the food pyramid and all of its parts, which are the protein, fruit, vegetable, dairy and wheat and of course the most important part of it the unhealthy part. Well the unhealthy part was not so nice to me after she told the class about what it does to the body. When you boil vegetables a lot of the vitamins go.

My dad Dr. Antoine Abchee came to talk to us about the cardiovascular system in the same day. He told us about cigarettes and what they do to your body. We learned that it is possible to put a mechanical heart in the human body. We saw the septum in the small heart he brought us and we discovered that the septum is much thinner than we imagined. If you have too much fat around your heart it will be really hard for it to pump. If you are an organ donor, for example if you are in a car accident they have to directly take you to the hospital and do the transplant.