Copyright (c) 2014 by Maria Anderson and Chera Miller Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Maria Anderson and Chera Miller -- Blogmeister

Classroom Blog-

Henry Janzen Grade 3/4

by Maria Anderson and Chera Miller

Henry Janzen Site
Fun Brain
A+ Math
Math Worksheets
Spelling City
Math Games
Tumble Books
Word Wizard
Keyboarding Skills
Online Flashcards
Raz Girls
Raz Boys

Our grade 3’s & 4's that came into this room in September are now ready to pounce up into Grade 4 & 5!! Their confidence has grown in their studies, and they have grown up before our eyes. For our final days together, we will continue to learn while taking time to celebrate the year that we’ve shared. Our sincere thanks to all of the families who have been so involved in their child’s education. It has been a privilege to work with you this year.

Mrs. Miller & Mrs. Anderson

We are booked to go swimming once this month at Regent Park if weather is permitting. The cost for the bus is $2.25. We will be going on Friday, June 20th from 1-2:00 p.m. Please remember to pack their bathing suit, towel, sunscreen, bug repellent and a hat.

We will walk the kids over to DQ during the second last week of June (so either June 18th,19th or the 24th). Then we will walk back and spend the rest of the afternoon at French Park. It should be a very fun afternoon! We have 3 optional days as it will depend on the weather. We are asking them to each bring their own money to buy one special treat that they would like to get. So it would probably be a good idea for them to have money here on the Wednesday and just leave it in their agendas until we go.

Important Dates

Thursday, June 12th - Janzen's Got Talent - PM

Friday, June 13th - PD Day - No School

Wednesday, June 18th - Possible DQ - p.m.

Thursday, June 19th - Possible DQ - p.m.

Friday, June 20th - Assembly - 11:00 a.m.

Swimming - 1-2:00 p.m.

Monday, June 23rd -Track Meet- All Day - Grade 4's

Tuesday, June 24th - Possible DQ - p.m.

Wednesday, June 25th - Movie - p.m.

Thursday, June 26th - Last Day-Dismissal 2:30 p.m.

We can't believe there are only 8 weeks left! Let's hope that our Spring weather starts now! So far today is a nice day, but not sure about after that...we really hope it warms up so that we can go outside and enjoy some fresh air. The kids might have mentioned that we have gone on a couple of walks already. We plan to continue with our walks during "Health" to promote our Health Bodies unit when we can.

May dates to note:

May 2nd - Walk during Health

May 8th - Create Artist - a.m.

May 15th - Create Artist - a.m.

May 30th - Board Game Book presentation Due!

Language Arts: We continue to work with our Reading Groups but we are almost finished our current Novel Study. We will start something new after that.

Math: We are currently working on Fractions and continuing with our Mad Minutes + & - on Tuesdays and X & division on Thursdays. After Fractions we will start Geometry.

Science: The grade 3's are finishing their unit on Soil and the grade 4's finished their unit on Rocks and Minerals. The grade 3's will start learning about Plants in the next couple of weeks and the grade 4's are starting their last unit on Habitats.

As always, if you have any questions or concerns please don’t hesitate to contact us.

It’s hard to believe that we are already into April! This school year is happening way too quickly. We’ve made some wonderful progress over the past 2 terms and will continue to do so until the end of June.

Just like the month of February, April seems busy and short!

Here are your dates to note:

April 9th - Wear Pink - Anti-Bullying Day – The k-Gr. 4 classes will be watching The Ant Bully followed by an activity after.

April 15th- Junior Choir Performance - 2:30-3:30 p.m.

April 30th – Month End Assembly

April 18 – 27 inclusive – Spring Break – Enjoy your time with your family and friends!!

April 30 – Dress Like a Character - Book Project due!

In the classroom:

Language Arts: Reading Groups continue in our classroom. We are hoping to have our books finished by Easter Break so that we can start something new after.

Math: We will be finished our Measurement Unit before the break and start Fractions when we get back. We will still continue to practice our Mad Minutes with addition/subtraction on Tuesdays and multiplication/division on Thursdays.

Science: We hope to finished our unit on "Soil" soon. We may not be done before the break...but will be shortly after and then finish up Science with a unit on "Plants".

Health - We are working on our "Informational Reports." Most students are working on their first copy. Some might start Blogging before the break, but we will probably still need to work on them after.

Raz Reading

Please click on the Raz boys or Raz girls link on the left side of this blog. The boys' teacher username is janzenboys and the girls' is janzengirls. Once they are on the main page they click on their name and their password is their last name. They can listen to stories, record oral reading and take quizzes. They get points that they can use to "buy" items for their Raz Rocket. They can also visit the Book Room and read at different levels.

Tumble Books

This is another excellent online reading site. The username is rbe and the password is books. Enjoy reading with your child and please check out the other links on our blog.

Article posted August 28, 2013 at 10:38 PM GMT0 • comment • Reads 159

Homework Expectations

As the school year gets going it is important to start developing a homework routine at home. Family time, out of school activities, friends and fun are also important. For this reason, I recommend that your child's homework routine does not exceed half an hour. I would like to see this half hour split into 15 minutes of reading and 15 minutes of counting/addition and subtraction practice.

Reading

Home reading is essential. Each month starting in October your child will be responsible for a book report project. They will bring an approved book home from school. This book is to be read aloud at home with a parent/guardian in order to build fluency, expression and phrasing. It is also important that fluent, expressive reading is modelled to your child. Therefore, your child and you should take turns reading to each other. Please also check for understanding as you read through the book together.

Math

Counting is important to develop number sense and to build towards multiplication and division. Please practice counting by 1's, 2's, 5's and 10's to one hundred and also backwards from one hundred. If your child has these mastered you can start work on counting by 3's to 30 and 4's to 40. For addition and subtraction practice you could use worksheets, flashcards or the internet. One site children really seem to enjoy is arcademicskillbuilders.com.

Jaguars

Welcome to our class blog. Locations of visitors to this page