Copyright (c) 2014 by Daina Seymour Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Daina Seymour -- Blogmeister

-

Image by FlamingText.com
Image by FlamingText.com

by Daina Seymour

Grant Road School
Regina Public Schools
Ms. Brown Gr. 5/6 - Haultain
Mrs. Josephson Gr. 6 - McLurg
Mme. Bobiash Gr. 7 - Wilfrid Walker
Pic Lit - Picture Literature Website
Rock You - Photo Sharing
Comiqs - Comic Creator
Voki - Personalized Speaking Avatar
Voice Thread - Voice Recorder with Images
Slide - Slideshow Creator
The Wizard Text Generator
Wordle - Word Clouds
Vocaroo - Voice Recorder
iStudent
Health - Smoking & Inhalants
Science - Electricity

http://www.sciences.univ-nantes.fr/physique/perso/maussion/statelec/PagesEngl/12Chime.html

Winter Olympic History

Our class chose to do this activity by asking questions about the Winter Olympics and its history. After brainstorming questions, each student researched information to find the answers to the class questions. The results to our research are as follows:

1. What was Canada’s most successful year at the Winter Olympics?

Their most successful year was at Turin in 2006. There they won 24 medals in total; 7 gold, 10 silver and 7 bronze.

2. When was the first Winter Olympics?

The first Winter Olympics took place in 1924.

3. What sports were in the first Winter Olympics?

The sports were 4-man bobsled, biathlon, curling, figure skating, hockey, cross country skiing, ski jumping, Nordic combined skiing and speed skating.

4. Where was the first Winter Olympics?

The first Winter Olympics took place in Chamonix, France.

5. How many athletes participate at the Olympics?

About 2000 different athletes participate at the Winter Olympics from about 60 different countries.

6. Why were the Winter Olympics created?

To relive the ancient spirit of friendship and excellence.

7. Who created the Winter Olympics?

The ancient Greeks created the Olympics.

8. When were the Winter Olympics held in Canada?

The Winter Olympics were held in Canada twice, including the upcoming one. They were held in Calgary in 1988 and now in Vancouver in 2010. The Summer Olympics were also held in Montreal in 1976.

9. Who is Canada’s most well known Olympic athlete?

Wayne Gretzky is the most well known Olympic athlete.

10. What is Canada’s most successful event?

Speed skating (11 gold, 18 silver, 19 bronze) and ice hockey (9 gold, 5 silver, 2 bronze) are Canada’s most successful events.

11. Why is it named the “Olympics”? What does the name “Olympics” mean?

It was named after the city of Olympia in Greece because they held the ancient Olympic games there to honour their god Zues.

12. What sport has the most participants?

Ice hockey has the most participants at the Winter Olympics.

Did you know...(other information that was found)

Over 80 countries participate in the Winter Olympics and over 40 participate in the Paralympics.

The medals in the 2010 Winter Olympics are made from recycled electronics.

Article posted October 31, 2008 at 04:32 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 55

Image by FlamingText.com

Image by FlamingText.com

Blogging Marking Scale

For each entry (comment or article) you will be given a mark out of 5 based on the amount of effort shown through the completion of the assignment, following the directions and completing the assignment on time.

5 - Excellent.

Completed on time. Has fully addressed the question(s). Evident that time has been spent in reflection/research concerning the question. Answer shows full understanding of topic. No capitalization mistakes.

4 - Good. Completed on time.

Answer shows understanding of topic. A fair bit of time and thought evident. Most or all aspects of assignment addressed. Less than 4 capitalization mistakes.

3 - Average

Shows some time was spent on the assignment and there is some understanding of the topic. Not all aspects of the assignment have been addressed. More than 4 capitalization mistakes.

2 - Poor.

Completed late. Shows limited time spent on the assignment and limited understanding of the topic. Little of the assignment has been addressed. More than 4 capitalization mistakes.

1 - Needs Improvement.

Completed late. Shows little or no understanding of the assignment and very little evidence of time spent on the assignment. More than 4 capitalization mistakes.

0 - Incomplete.

Image by FlamingText.com

Image by FlamingText.com

We have been learning how to blog and are close to finishing our first project, Seven Random Facts. We are excited to also learn how to post comments on other blogs as well as receive comments from other classes around the world. Please keep in mind the following when leaving comments.

~ Try to choose students with whom you have the same interests.

~ Make positive and appropriate comments that are meaningful and/or insightful.

~ Compare what the post says to something you have seen or done.

~ Keep your identity safe.

~ Check over your comments before you post them. Your writing is a reflection of you!

~ Leave your blogging name and URL address to our blog so that students can comment back to you.

Once you have completed your seven random facts, I would like you to leave at least five comments on other student's blogs.

Enjoy!

Mrs. Seymour

Grade 5/6