Copyright (c) 2014 by Mrs. R Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Mrs. R -- Blogmeister

Media Center Staff Reviews

“The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.”
― B.B. King

by Mrs. R

teacher: Julie Hooper

She thought she had nine years of freedom and safety. Now, after only three, he's being released to come back home, to invade her life and privacy, and to......

With a mother who's in denial regarding her husband's abuse, Meredith must deal with the fear of her father's return practically alone.

As I began reading Meredith's story, I very quickly wanted to come to her defense and ask her mother what in the world was she thinking by allowing this man to come back into their lives as before.

The story also made me wonder how many young girls must cope with this type of abuse on a regular basis.

The characters and storyline keep you engaged in the book and eager to find out Meredith's fate right down to the last pages! I recommend it!

When fifteen-year-old Juliana must leave her life and friends in California to go live with her mom in a small town in England, she is not happy. Then, to add to the already stressful situation, her mom’s best friend is murdered right in their own cottage!

Although the police arrest someone, Juliana is almost certain the real murderer is still lurking around the village. Can her amateur investigation convince the police that they have arrested the wrong man? Will her conclusions interfere with the new friendships she is making, especially with Duncan?

Murder mysteries is a favorite genre of mine, so it isn’t surprising that I liked reading this book with all of its twists and turns, always keeping me wondering “who dun it?”. The friendship between Kate and Juliana, as well as the developing romance between Duncan and Juliana are realistic relationships that teens can relate to.

Some of the contrasts between American and English life not only show differences, but ultimately reveal that people everywhere have the same basic needs and wants no matter where they live.

……An interesting book that entertains and keeps you guessing!

Eben McAllister longs to see the Seven Wonders of the World. In fact, a visit to any place outside the small farming community in which he lives would seem like a wonder to eleven-year-old Eben.

So when Eben's pa challenges him to find Seven Wonders in Sassafras Springs, Eben is up to the seemingly impossible task, the promise of a train ticket to St. Louis looming just ahead.

The author's down-home writing style and authentic-sounding dialogue are two things that drew me to this book. Meeting a host of interesting characters along the way adds to the already fun read

Share the surprises, humor and excitement that await Eben in his noble quest to find a Wonder a day where he lives. How many Wonders can you find in your neck of the woods?

Are you a "Fred"? What is a "Fred" anyway? Read how one mail carrier and the passion that he showed for his work became the inspiration for this book and a phenomenon the author calls "The Fred Factor".

While thinking about the simple, but extraordinary qualities displayed by Fred Shea, the postman, I was continually asking myself if I was worthy to be called a "Fred" while on my job, in my friendships or in any relationships that I have.

Need to reinvent yourself from being an ordinary student, athlete, friend, etc. into an extraordinary one? The transforming ideas contained in this book can help! It's a one-of-a-kind book that's worth a look for all of you who want to be a better YOU!

Here they come now….his little birds, as he likes to call them. Right on schedule. Which one does he like best? Which one will he choose for his own this time?

Unaware of his watchful eye, the five Herbert girls go about their normal routines day after day...until the morning one of them loses her way.

Should she accept his kind offer to help her get back home? He is, after all, a stranger. The door opens, welcoming her in...

If you enjoy stories that keep you guessing, then this book is for you! Add to that some suspense, psychological twists and turns, quirky and dysfunctional family life turned upside down and you've got a winner! Most importantly, what comes through is the love and devotion among the sisters, enabling them to overcome life’s challenges because they’re all in it together.

I found this to be a quick read, not only because of the story line, but also because of the short chapters and various points of view the author used to tell the story. Good book! You'll love it!

Do your parents have a right to eavesdrop on your phone conversations? Can you wear an antigay T-shirt to school? Does a school newspaper have a right to criticize teachers?

You'll find the sometimes surprising answers to these questions and others concerning issues important to you as an American teenager in this informational, yet entertaining book.

Mr. O'Reilly's back and forth, sometimes in-your-face, style is appealing to me and I think would be to teens. Get a jump on knowledge and try this book. You'll be glad you did!

Seventeen-year-old Willa Raedl makes a hasty decision that will take her on an adventure of a lifetime and will test her mind, body and spirit to the limit. When her Uncle Jordy gets drunk and is unable to fly much-needed medical supplies to the town where her mom is, Willa takes it upon herself to fly her uncle's plane. After all, he had taught her all of the piloting skills she needed, hadn't he? Then, the unthinkable happens! She must make an emergency landing on a frozen lake in the middle of the Canadian wilderness in below-freezing temperatures. How will she survive without her beloved brother, Ray and her dad, the wilderness expert, to help her?

If you like adventure stories, you'll enjoy reading this book. I was constantly putting myself in Willa's place, wondering what I would do in similar circumstances....panic and die, or be inventive and sensible like her and draw on past knowledge and experience to see me through.

Even though I think Willa was foolish to take it upon herself to fly the plane alone in the first place, I admire her spunk and tenacity, which helped her overcome fears and insecurities to make her a stronger young woman....which just goes to show that we really don't know how much we can endure until we're actually put to the test.

Give this book a try and put yourself in Willa's place.....Would you find a way to survive?