Copyright (c) 2014 by DHLA Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
DHLA -- Blogmeister

DHLA

Class of 2012-2013

by DHLA

teacher: Rye 8th Team

You can enter the text of your blog here!

For my road kill project, I chose to compare how much road kill is on different types of roads for years 2005-2009. The two types of roads I compared were Interstate Highways and Suburban roads. I chose to do this because I thought it would be interesting to find out which would have more road kill.

I found out that Suburban Roads have a lot more road kill than Interstate Highways. I think this happened because there a lot more animals around suburban roads than there are around Interstate Highways. Usually, Suburban Roads are around some type of woods or something like that.

When I decided what I was going to study, I thought that Suburban Roads would have more road kill. But, I wasn’t quite sure because on Interstate Highways you are driving a lot faster than you would be on Suburban Roads, so you wouldn’t have time to stop by the time you saw the animal. But there are a lot more animals around Suburban Roads.

Next year, I think suburban roads will still have the most road kill because of the reasons I stated previously. Also, next year I might look at different or more types of roads, like Urban Roads or Suburban Highways, because it seems pretty obvious that Suburban Roads will usually have more than Interstate Highways.

In our art class, we got to make a model shoe out of clay. It could be any kind of shoe we wanted it to be, and I chose a flip-flop. I used bright neon color paint to paint it and i designed it with fun polka-dots. This kind of shoe would appeal to girls, probably around my age group. Once we finished the shoes, our art teacher took pictures of them and then we got to make an advertisment for them. The requirments were that in the advertisment we had to have a shoe company name, a name for the shoe, a catch phrase for the shoe, and, of course, a picture of the shoe. I had lots of fun doing this art project. We got to be creative and have our shoe be totally how we wanted it to be.

In our science class, we are studing roadkill in our area. We made graphs to take a closer look at the eight week period we've been studying so far.

In our language arts class, we read the book Seedfolks, by Paul Fleischman. First we read it, and then we filled out a paper with info on each character. Then we each chose one character to make a seed packet for. We made the seed packet for the plant that they planted and tried to connect the character to the plant. Then we did the same thing for a person we know. We picked a plant that was like them and made a seed packet for them. I chose my little cousin, Scottie and his plant was coffee beans because he is very energetic. For the character one I chose Maricela. She is a pregnant 16 year old and her plant is squash. This was a fun project.

My Antarctica flag resembled the only antarctic animal. The penguin. There were designs around it and the penguin was in a big circle.

In math class, we did a unit on the stock market. Everyone got a fake $10,000 to buy our stocks with. I invested in three stocks; Wal-Mart, Exxon-Mobil, and Staples. I picked Wal-Mart for a couple reasons. One is that when we bought these stocks, the economy was bad and Wal-Mart has low prices, so people who needed to save money could go to Wal-Mart to get things cheaper. Another reason is Wal-Mart sells a variety of things. I chose Exxon-Mobil because everyone needs gas for their cars and gas prices were down when we got to pick our stocks. I picked Staples because people need to buy school and office supplies.

Since I’ve been watching the stock market, I would probably make some changes to my choices if I could. One of the changes is this time of year I would have picked something other than Staples because kids buy their school supplies in the summer, so I would have invested in Staples in the summer. While I’m glad I pick Exxon-Mobil (because it’s the only stock that made me any money) I think that a good time to invest in it would be around the holidays because people travel around the holidays. Also, if I could, I would have bought more stocks of Exxon-Mobil. Another thing is that it is good to invest in places like Wal-Mart because they sell a large variety of things, so they could be good all year round.

If someone asked me for advice on the stock market, there are a few things that come to mind. One is to always buy low. You should buy low because you won’t be spending as much money as you would if you bought high. Another is to sell high. You should do this because if you sell your stocks when they are high, you will get more money. One more piece of advice is to always keep track of your stocks. If you always check your stocks, you will know if you should or shouldn’t sell your stocks. Even though I lost some money (fake money!!), I learned a lot about the stock market in this unit and it helped me understand a little more about what has been happening in the economy lately.