Copyright (c) 2014 by WSJO Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
WSJO -- Blogmeister

WSJO

R - Z 2011-2012

by WSJO

teacher: Rye 8th Team

Article posted June 18, 2009 at 12:39 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 121

Article posted June 15, 2009 at 10:54 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 70

Article posted June 11, 2009 at 11:08 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 53

Article posted May 29, 2009 at 10:51 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 60

Roadkill Analysis

For my roadkill project, I studied the speed limit within the New England area. I predicted that the speeds from 35 to 55 miles per hour would have the most effect. I predicted this because most roads that are in the area are between 35 and 55 miles per hour. So, since a lot of roadkill happens in the area, I felt that 35 to 55 miles per hour was a good choice.

As I was looking at my information, I realized that my prediction was not very accurate. In the year and 2009, the roads of 35 miles per hour or less took over. There were about 200 more animals killed than the 35 to 55 miles per hour roads. This surprised me because I would think that more animals would be killed in a higher speed limit range. In 2006, the 35 miles per hour or less roads barely took the lead. This still surprised me because again, I would think animals would be killed at a higher speed. In 2004, 35 to 55 miles took first place by about 20 animals. Finally, my prediction was correct!

I was very surprised at the roadkill results. I thought that most animals would have been killed from 35 to 55 miles per hour. I thought this because most main roads are around 35 to 55 miles per hour and most roadkill is probably killed on main roads. I was also surprised that the slowest speeds took over in 2 of the 3 years. It seems like if you drive slower, you would not kill any animals.

Next year, I would predict that the same speed limit would take over. I believe this because I measured three years for my project and for 2 of the 3 years, the 35 to 55 miles per hour took the lead. So, I believe that next year the information would stay about the same. But, with new cars being made, you never know what next year will be like.

Article posted May 13, 2009 at 09:01 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 48

Recently in art class, we created clay shoes. After we created the shoes, we were assigned to make an advertisement for them. All of them were very creative. It was a very fun assignment. I really want people to feel jolly when they see my artwork. So, I picked Christmas for my theme. I was inspired to do this because Christmas is such a jolly holiday and it is also one of my favorites! I hope you enjoy this advertisement!

Article posted May 8, 2009 at 10:54 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 70

Road Kill

We recently gathered data of roadkill. Some of the data is from a long time ago, and some is from this year. Roadkill is an interesting subject to study. It is really neat though to learn about all of the roadkill and graph it out.

Article posted May 7, 2009 at 11:16 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 57

badge

Earth Day 09 

As you may know, April 22 was earth day. Earth day is a great oppertunity to get involved with many things to help the earth. I got the oppertunity to speak on the 24 hour earthcast. The earthcast was a great way to alert people about whats happening on earth and how to help. All of our classes made powerpoint presentations and some people made quizes to test what people know. It was a very fun day and I cannot wait until next year!

Article posted April 23, 2009 at 09:33 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 48

Seedfolks

We recently read a book called Seedfolks by Paul Fleischman. It took place in the midst of three buildings in Cleveland, Ohio. In the middle of the buildings, there is lots of trash. But in the course of a year, the junk yard turns into a beautiful garden. But, it did not just turn into a garden, it turned into a get-together with many different types of people. Reading Seedfolks really inspired me along with others to plant a garden and thanks to the book and a lot of hard workers, Rye Jr. High now has a garden in the back lawn.

Kim. A young girl who was inspired by her father to plant a garden. Kim knew exactly where she wanted to plant her seeds. In the middle of three apartment buildings in the inner city of Cleveland, Ohio. Kim had a special connection with planting things. Before he passed away, her father was a farmer. So, Kim decided to follow in his footsteps and plant some sweet old lima beans. So, Kim picked a spot behind an old refrigerator and took the seeds one by one from the bag. Throughout the book, people followed after Kim and picked a spot and planted different fruits and vegetables.

I had a lot of fun reading the book Seedfolks. It really made me appreciate that plants are available to us and that we can grow them. I hope this book will be read by many people and that they would be as inspired as I am.

Article posted April 6, 2009 at 11:17 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 66

Acid rain is a deadly liquid that forms from nitrogen oxide or sulfur dioxide. To turn into nitric acid, nitrogen oxide has to travel anywhere from 50-300 miles. In order for sulfur dioxide to turn into an acid, it has to travel 500-1500 miles. While it is traveling, it collects moisture and sun from the weather surrounding them. So, when it reaches the distance it needs to reach, it turns into acid rain.

As you know, Acid rain is very destructive. For example, has the paint on your car ever bubbled? Well, this is caused by acid rain. Also, have you ever left something medal outside of your house for a long period of time? Well, you may notice that it it is eaten away. This is also caused by acid rain. As you can see, acid rain is very destructive. So the next time you leave your car out at night, maybe think about pulling it in the garage!

Article posted March 3, 2009 at 09:45 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 53

I chose to draw stripes on my flag because  Antarctica is not owned by any specific country so many colors are represented. Also, as you may have noticed, each line is outlined in green. I did this because Antarctica is trying to “go green” by using the 3 r’s: reduce, reuse, and recycle.