Copyright (c) 2014 by NJLI Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
NJLI -- Blogmeister

Njli

M - Q 2011-2012

by NJLI

teacher: Rye 8th Team

Article posted June 15, 2009 at 11:01 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 127

Article posted June 11, 2009 at 11:11 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 49

Article posted May 22, 2009 at 11:12 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 52

I chose to do the roadkill project on the size of the roadkill killed from 2006 to 2009. I took all the animals killed in each year and researched their size and then classified them as big or small. The small animals were 15 inches and down and the big animals were 15 inches and up. My original hypothesis was that the big animals would be killed more commonly. I thought that big animals would be killed more frequently because they are easier to hit and I thought that the smaller animals would be harder to hit so they wouldn’t be killed as much.

In the end the big animals were killed more over the four years. I think that the big animals were killed more because the animals may be lower than the car so the driver cannot see them. Unlike small animals the big animals are large enough that they cannot avoid the car not hitting them. This year the big animals got killed far more then the small animals.

The big animals being killed more was what I expected. Some things that could have affected the hypothesis and result are that some of the people could have written down some roadkill that they might not have seen. Also people could have found roadkill that had been sitting there for a few days so that would mess up the date where that saw it. Another thing that could have affected the hypothesis is people could not have identified the animal correctly and that might really affect the result of the roadkill project.

For next year I would predict that the big animals would be killed more again. I think they will because for the last four years the big animals have been killed a lot more then the small animals. I think that this was a good topic to research, it gave a lot of information and it was interesting to see which animal size would be killed more.

Article posted May 13, 2009 at 09:00 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 42

I made these shoes because I wanted to make something different that I had never seen before. I like these shoes because they are vibrant and full of color. The shoes are called pops because they have dots that are 3-D on the side.

Article posted May 8, 2009 at 10:55 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 49

The Gray Squirrels had the greatest number of roadkill in 2009, there were 21 killed. The Raccoon, Mink, Deer, and Red Squirrels had the least number of roadkill in 2009, each animal only had 1.

Article posted May 7, 2009 at 11:10 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 51

badge

I prepared for the Earthcast '09 by practicing reading our power point presintations in one earthbridges.com we had no audience but i think practicing on air with a microphone really helped prepare me. We also got  some voice thread interviews with people that had stuff to say about Earthday 2009. Each class recorded a voicethread about Earthday for the Earthcast.

Article posted April 23, 2009 at 09:41 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 56

Seed Folk

By Paul Fleischman

In Language Arts we read a book called Seed Folks, the book is about a bunch of people that live in the same part of town coming together through a garden. We were assigned to make two seed packets, after we had finished a chart then we made as we read the book we used the information from the charts to help us with one of the seed packets. One of the seed packets would be about a character in the book, their personality, how the garden helped them and what they grew in the garden. The other was about someone from our life, the personality and we picked a plant that we thought would resemble them.

The two people I picked for my seed packets were Maricela from “Seed Folks,” and my sister.  Maricela is a 16 year old and she is pregnant she doesn’t really care anymore. The garden helps her find a purpose and by taking care of her squash it helps her prepare for taking care of her baby. For my sister I picked the flower Lily-Of-The-Valley, the flower is sweet and nice on the outside but poisonous on the inside, just like my sister.

Article posted April 9, 2009 at 11:19 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 46

Acid Rain is formed by pollution from houses power plant and many other things. The pollution goes into the sky and sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxide are formed by sun and moisture mixing with pollution. Then the sulfur and nitrogen travel a long distance and form clouds. The sulfur dioxide travels 500 to 1500 miles, and the nitrogen oxide travels 50 to 300 miles. After they form clouds the clouds rain and create wet deposition. The wet deposition kills plants and animals, eats away at lime stone and metal.

A solution for acid rain is to reduce the source of electricity. Some thing you can do to reduce the source of electricity is bike or walk instead of using your car. Another solution is to use less and try to cut back and only use what you really need. You can also use scrubbers to reduce the source of electricity. Scrubbers filter the air from a smokestack and make our air cleaner and better for our earth.

Article posted March 4, 2009 at 08:56 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 85

The 12 pieces at the top represent the 12 countries that are stationed in Antarctica; they are red and white because that is what the stereotypical “south pole” looks like. I drew a peace sign to represent that there is peace between all countries. The peace sign is blue because that represents the color of the ice in Antarctica. The recycle sign in a heart shape represents that the people in Antarctica are trying to recycle more and find new ways to recycle, it is in the shape of a heart because, they are recycling because they love our Earth. The recycle sign is green because they are trying to go green. There is a person because they have scientists and researchers in Antarctica. He is wearing warm clothes and a warm hat because it is very cold there and you have to wear really warm clothes. The seal, penguin, whale, and starfish are some of the animals that live in Antarctica. The animals are all their usual color. They are all standing on an iceberg because there are tons of icebergs in Antarctica.

Article posted March 3, 2009 at 09:18 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 64

Sizzling Stocks

In math class we did a project on the stock market. Everyone in the grade was given 10,000 dollars of fake money to invest in 3-4 stocks. I chose to invest in The Hershey Company, Kraft Food Inc., and Pain Therapeutics. I bought The Hershey Company because I like Hershey’s chocolate, and the stock had been going up. I chose Kraft Food Inc. because the stock was going up, and a friend had this stock. I invested in Pain Therapeutics because the stock was in the bearish stocks, and I needed one more stock to invest in and the shares were inexpensive. In the end I spent a little less then the 10,000 fake dollars on the three stocks I bought.

After finishing the project and seeing how the stock market and stocks work over 14 weeks I would change a few things in my portfolio. I would delete Pain Therapeutics stock because the stock went down almost four dollars. My loss was about $ 1,300 from this one stock. I would also delete Kraft Food Inc. stock, this stock lost about a dollar per share and I lost about $100. I would invest in IBM stock, this stock went up about $20 a share, and it was a very prosperous stock. Overall I wish I had thought more about what stocks to invest in and what stock not to invest in.

Some advice I would give somebody that was interested in investing in stock is, you should research the stock before buying. This will help you pick a good stock, and if you research you will know more about what the company does. You may be able to find something you don’t like about the company, and that would be a reason for researching before you invest. Another piece of advice I would give is to keep track of your stock. This helps you see how your stock is doing over time, and is a good way to organize the information on the prices pre share of your stock. The last advice I would give is to sell when the price of your stock in higher then the price you bought it at. This is important because if it is higher then you will make money, and if it is lower you will lose money and you don’t want to lose money. If you follow this advice you will have a more successful stock.

Article posted February 2, 2009 at 11:14 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 65

I Chose to do this angle of the still life because I liked it I thought it was bright and had a lot of different textures and patterns. I drew it out with pencil first then went over the lines with glue. After the glue dried I colored it with pastels. The glue and pastels gives it a very cool look!

Article posted February 2, 2009 at 10:50 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 50

Happy Valentines Day!

Your smile shines as bright as the sun !!!

I love you as much as the distance from  the Earth to the Sun and back !!! 

I am attracted to you like high pressure is to low pressure !!!

You make my heart melt like radiation from a fire melting an ice cube!!!

XOXO 

Article posted December 16, 2008 at 09:45 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 81

On Thursday night there was a huge ice storm, when I woke my Mom told me I had no school and we had no power. Then at 7:30 my Dad went out to get a generator, all the stores were closed and there were almost no stores that had a generator. Then my Dad came back home and made a big fire to keep our house warm. Then after calling many different places to find or rent a generator my Dad finally found a place that had a generator to rent. So then my Dad drove for forty-five minutes to get the generator and when he came back he tried it and it wasn’t working. So then my Mom called my aunt and asked if they could borrow one of her generators, then my parents drove an hour to my aunt’s house and got the generator. When they came back my sister and I had already left to a ski mountain with some friends. When we got to their ski house they had heat and power! My parents decided to stay home to make sure our pipes wouldn’t burst.

For the rest of the weekend I stayed at the ski house and skied all weekend. Then on Sunday we got a call from the school saying that there would be no school on Monday. So I stayed with my friends the night at the ski mountain. I got I call from my Mom saying that we still had no power at home. The next day we skied all day. Then we went home and when we were on our drive home my mom called and told us she had just got power. Then when I got home we had power and the next day we had school.

Article posted December 11, 2008 at 11:15 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 49

This graph shows how far animals and humans can dive and the number of minutes animals and humans can hold there breath under water while diving in Antarctica.

Article posted December 5, 2008 at 12:10 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 57

This past week, at Rye Jr. High in the seventh grade we had Joe Flood come and talk to us about drugs and alcohol. Joe was very open with us about how he use to use  drugs and alcohol. Joe started using alcohol as a teenager and thought it was no big deal, no one had explained to him how bad it is for you and how it can harm you. Joe talked about how your brain has “six lights” and when you drink the light turn down or get shut off. When you sleep two of your lights shut off to give you a break, when this happens to you it is not a bad thing. When you drink however, and two of your lights shut off this is a bad thing. If all you light shut off this means you are dead. He told us several real life situations where kids were drinking and they were on their last light and their friends just thought they’re fine let’s just let them sleep it off. Then when they checked on them after they let them “sleep it off” their friend would be dead. This has happened to many teenagers and their friends or parents didn’t know what to do and they thought that letting them sleep would be the best thing. Joe told us how to deal with people when they are on one of their last lights and how to keep them alive.  

I thought Joe Flood was great! He taught us some great lifelong lesions and how drugs and alcohol can ruin your life. He also told us that they can change who you are and how you act around people. By having Joe come and talk to us I think it really taught us a lot of useful things.

Article posted November 24, 2008 at 11:10 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 49

I found that the journal entry on November 2, 2008 was very interesting. It talks about how it has been very cold lately and how the compressor won’t start. They use the compressor to fill air into the scuba tanks for diving so they cannot dive until they get the compressor to work. Ms. Ellwood has tried to pull the starter chord many times to try to make it work, so far they haven’t had any luck. There were many other things going wrong Hal wasn’t working correctly, the generator was having problems, and they were also having equipment problems. They tried to heat it up so that the oil would become unfrozen, that didn’t work the oil didn’t even drip. The team though of alternate options just in case it never started. One of the ideas was disconnecting one end of the umbilical cord and blowing air down to the diver. Then finally after waiting and trying to start the compressor many times it started! The team filled their dive tanks and went for a dive. Ms. Ellwood went down and got Hal. Hal needed to be fixed because it had stopped working during the night. Then the crew brought Hal up and looked at it, to see why it wasn’t working properly. After working on Hal for hours the team had finally fixed it. Then Ms. Ellwood dove back in the diving hole and placed him back in his spot. So far Hal seems to be working great!

Hey Ms. Ellwood have you collected many samples from Hal’s work? If you have collected samples I was wondering what the samples are and if they are useful to your research?

Article posted October 30, 2008 at 10:57 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 48

Article posted September 26, 2008 at 11:13 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 53

Mercury – It is 36 million miles or 0.39 au from the Sun. Mercury is 3,031 miles across; it takes 59 days to rotate once. A revolution takes 88 days. Mercury has no satellites. The high temperature for Mercury is 800 degrees F and the low temperature for Mercury is -350 degrees F. Mercury has no atmosphere; the planet is rock-like, has craters and is made of iron.

Venus - It is 67 million miles or 0.7 au from the Sun. Venus is 7,521 miles across. It takes 243 days going backwards to rotate once and, a revolution takes 224 days. Venus has no moons, the high tempature for Venus is 891 degrees F and the low is 837 degrees F. Venus has a very thick atmosphere that has high pressure (90x's)and it is very windy with winds at 200+ miles per hour. Earth is Venus's twin in size but not in anything else. Venus is the evening star or the morning star, and is the hottest planet. It is mostly carbon dioxide, sulfure, acid rain, and ammonia.