Copyright (c) 2014 by HRCH Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
HRCH -- Blogmeister

HRCH

F - L 2011-2012

by HRCH

teacher: Rye 8th Team

Article posted June 15, 2009 at 10:52 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 34

You can enter the text of your blog here!

Article posted June 10, 2009 at 12:12 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 33

Article posted June 9, 2009 at 09:38 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 34

Roadkill in 2005 and 2009

I chose to study how much/what type of  roadkill there will be in a period of the same two weeks in 2005  and 2009. My hypothesis was that there would be more roadkill as the two weeks would go on because it will get warmer so animals will be done hibernating and birds will come back from the south. I think that there will be about the same amount of roadkill in 2005 than in 2009 because it is the exact same time in the year. This might not be correct because maybe there were rabies in an animals’ population or maybe the climate might not have been the same.

I was not very surprised with the results I got with this project. It turned out that almost every animal was killed the same amount of times. The only thing that was a little strange was that there were 3 chipmunks killed in 2005 and none in 2009. Another thing that was strange was that there were 6 grey squirrels killed in 2009 and 1 in 2005.

I expected all of the roadkill amounts would’ve been the same.  I think that the grey squirrel’s population has grown rapidly in the last few years. It might have found humans’ trash outside and it’s eating that instead of acorns and its normal food. I also think that the squirrel is taking the chipmunks’ food because there are more squirrels now than in 2005 and there were no chipmunks in my data, but there were many squirrels.

Next year, I think that there will be more chipmunks and less squirrels because the squirrels will not have enough food and some of them will die. I think that people will also start taking better care of our earth so the roadkill will all be even with every animal. People will start riding their bikes more so there won’t be as much roadkill. I would study the amount of roadkill for one month instead of two weeks so I can really look at the more overall results.

Article posted May 21, 2009 at 11:05 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 34

Analysis Draft

Article posted May 18, 2009 at 11:22 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 35

In this graph, I noticed that there were more roadkill in week 1 than in any other week. I think this is because the animals are done hibernating and are coming out. The second highest week was Week 7. I think this because it is getting warmer and there are insects and flowers for the animals to eat.

Article posted May 13, 2009 at 12:56 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 33

This project was very fun because we created our own shoe. My shoe represents me because it shows what I like to do. It is a running shoe because I like to run. We could make any kind of shoe we wanted to and that was fun because we had freedom. Then we made an advertisement for it. It was a very fun project.

Article posted May 7, 2009 at 11:17 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 34

badge

My group talked about earth day gardens and what they mean to earth day. It was cool because everyone in the world could hear me. We also talked victory garden which is a garden put in the middle of a military base. I think everyone should make an earth day garden to represent earth day.

Article posted April 23, 2009 at 09:33 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 33

In school we read Seedfolks by Paul Fleischman. It was about a community where people all have a reason to plant a plant that is special to them in some way. We had to create seed packets on a person in the book and someone in our life and how they relate to the plant they grown. On the back we had to write the qualities of that person and how they connect to their plant. We had to draw a picture on the front of what that plant/person does. I chose a character in the book named Sam. He liked to get people talking so they could be more of a community. His plant was a pumpkin because the vines on a pumpkin reach out and grab on to the soil and objects. The person in my life was my grandmother and her plant was a carrot. It was a carrot because when she talks about something she goes really deep into that subject and carrots go really deep into the ground. It was a neat project and I would like to do it again.

Article posted April 6, 2009 at 11:17 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 37

Acid rain is caused by pollution. Factories, power plants and cars all release pollution. The pollution floats up into the atmosphere and it goes into clouds. The clouds build up and they rain down the pollution that was in the clouds. That is acid rain.

We can fix acid rain by buying hybrid cars. We can also ride our bikes more to reduce running our cars. We can put scrubbers in our smoke stacks. The scrubbers clean the air of the smoke so not as much pollution is going into the air. Towns with strong rivers can put turbines in the river to create electricity. There are many more ways we can help the environment.

Article posted March 3, 2009 at 09:19 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 35

Stock Market Final Report

This year in math class, we studied the stock market and we picked stocks and followed them for 15 weeks. I picked four stocks. The first one I picked was IBM because it had a high price. The second reason was because it had a good chart from the last month. The last reason was because a lot of normal business stores had IBM products such as computers. I also picked Verizon because people have cell phones to talk to each other. It also has cheap telephone services and Verizon Fios Television. I chose home depot because during the bad economy people will be doing a lot of at home projects. The last stock I chose was The 3M company because their price wasn’t too high and they had a good chart from the past month.

There were many things I would change if I could from the math project on stocks. I would not have chosen 3M because they didn’t do to well in the 15 week range. In the end, it turned out I lost close to 500 dollars. I wish I had gotten more shares of IBM because they did very well. I got a lot of money from investing in IBM. If I could change it, I would have bought less Verizon shares because they made me very little money. I would have got less shares of Verizon and more shares of IBM.

For first time stock buyers, here is some advice. If I were you, before buying a stock, I would do research on the company I investing in. I would see what the company makes or does, and how they would make money off what they do. You should follow your stocks for about two weeks so you can see if they did well, or if they lost money. If they gained money, you know it’s the right choice to invest. The final advice I have for future stock buyers is that you have to look at the basic chart of your company. It will show you how the company did in the past month. If the chart went up, it’s a good idea to buy some shares. The stock project in math was very fun, and if I had the chance to do it again, I would.

Article posted February 2, 2009 at 10:51 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 36

My valentine sayings:

When I see you, you make me fly past Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn.

You remind me of a cirrus cloud, so curly delightful.

When I talk to you those 14.7 pounds per square inch push awfully hard.

Without you, I'd be like Antarctica, so cold, sad, and uninviting.

Article posted December 11, 2008 at 11:15 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 34

This graph is about different animals in Antarctica in the ocean. It shows how deep each animal can go and how long it can stay under the ice or ocean.

Article posted December 5, 2008 at 11:22 AM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 34

Joe Flood was a drug and alchohol user. He had a very miserable life. Although he did all of this stuff in the past and doesn't do them anymore, his brain still looks like he does them. Once you do drugs they stay inside your brain forever. Joe Flood visited Rye Junior High School for 4 days. He talked to the 7th grade classes about his life and what it was like. He gave examples on what it's like. One was that you ake your favorite treat and eat just a little bit of it. Then you have to keep the rest of it in front of you without eating it. You then have to go as long as you can without eating eat. It is very hard to do.

I learned  many things when Joe Flood came to our school. One thing I learned was how awful it is to do drugs. He has changed my whole like. He may have saved my life for all I know. I learned that you never know the first time you're going to do a drug. Even 1 hour before that moment. That's why you always have to be on alert and that is what Joe Flood had taught me.

Article posted November 24, 2008 at 11:10 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 34

The lake ice in Antarctica is very jagged and thick. People who want to dive under the lake ice have to drill 12 feet into the ice to reach the water. Then, they have to wear long underwear and a dry suit. A dry suit feels like rubber. It is sealed at the ankles, wrists, and neck. Divers have to put on a very heavy helmet which they have to wear. They don’t have a regulator because there is air in the helmet. Instead of using a scuba tank, they have cords that go from their helmet to the surface into a compressor to fill and clean air. The divers don’t go that deep. They only go about 30 feet down. The lake is very cold. The temperature is about 30 degrees F. The thing only thing that is living under the ice is algae.

337hal.JPG(Hal, under the lake ice. Picture taken by Ms. Ellwood)

Another thing that interests me Hal, a probe that Ms. Ellwood and her team put under the lake ice to collect samples of light and oxygen. The first time they put it down there it didn’t work so a diver went down and fixed it. For a few days in a row they checked it very often to see if it worked. It’s been working fine so they just see how it’s doing every once and a while.

Article posted October 30, 2008 at 11:07 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 33

Article posted September 26, 2008 at 11:13 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 33

There are many interesting facts about Mercury, Venus, and Earth. Did you know that Venus’ day is actually longer than its year? Venus’ day is 243 days and its year is 224 days. Earth’s high and low temperature are very surprising. Earth’s high temperature is 136 degrees Farhenheit and its low temperature is

-129 degrees Farhenheit!