Copyright (c) 2014 by MHCA Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
MHCA -- Blogmeister

MHCA

Class of 2012-2013

by MHCA

teacher: Rye 8th Team

Analysis

I chose to study the total number of roadkill over three years for the weekday and weekend. The three years I chose was 2008, 2006, and 2009. My hypothesis is that the weekday will have more roadkill than the weekend. I thought this because there is rush hour when parents get out of work; there are more days in the week than the weekend. Another reason is that on Fridays schools are getting out everyone is excited for the weekend and careless driving.

After I made my graph for those 3 years I noticed that my hypothesis was correct. I chose a bar graph because it showed how many for two different subjects’ weekend and weekday. This graph shows the total number for roadkill in 2006, 2008, and 2009 for weekend and weekday. It turns out in all from those 3 years the weekday had more roadkill than the weekend. There might be a couple reasons why there isn’t a lot of roadkill on the weekend one example is that people might have forgotten to record the roadkill down or remember there even was roadkill that weekend. As the graph shows the weekday has more roadkill than the weekend. 

It was what I expected. People probably forgot to write it down for the weekends because you have to remember 3 days Friday, Saturday and Sunday and come in on Monday and write it down. People might have not written down the right days when they saw it they probably assumed well I think I saw it Monday.

For next year I would predict the same thing, that the weekends will have less roadkill than the weekdays. If it has been like that for the past couple years I’m thinking that it is going to be the same.

I noticed that the large amount of animal that was killed in Rye, NH and New Castle, NH is the grey squirrel. They are just coming out of hibernation so maybe that has something to do with it. Birds and the chipmunks were the same but they were the second largest animal being killed. Then the rest of the animals are in a low amount which means they haven’t been being killed that much.

We had to prepare a whole ton for the Earthcast. We split up into groups and we made slideshows of questions about certain topics relating to Earth Day. We had the answers at the end of them so that people could participate. Then when it was our groups turn on Earth Day we went to the mic and read our slideshows to everyone.

Seedfolks

By Paul Fleischman

My LA class read a book called ‘Seedfolks’ because we are starting a school garden. The whole school even the staff has read the book. After we read the book in LA class we made two seed packets. One of them was for a character in the book and another was for a person or animal in your life. On the front of the seed packets there is a creative title, a detailed picture that shows the person’s /animal’s personality and a quote from that person. On the back of the seed packets there are growing instructions and qualities fitted into the growing instructions about that person. For example one of my instructions is “the plant grows long and reaches out to others” (pumpkin).

The person/character/animal I did my packets on is Sam from the book seed folks and my dog Jax. Sam grew pumpkins in the book so my title for that seed packet is Sam’s Friendly Pumpkins because Sam is friendly. The one I did on my dog Jax is Energetic Poppies. My dog is really playful and energetic and I just think that poppies were a nice sounding plant for the personality of my dog. Seedfolks is a short read but it is a very interesting and friendly book.

--> Front of Jax --> Back of Jax

Acid Rain

Acid rain is caused by power plants and pollutants in them and pollutants in the air from other sources like cars, air planes, coal, oil, natural gas (fossil fuels). The pollutants that come out of the power plant are Sulfur Dioxide (SO₂) and Nitrogen Oxide (NOx). When they are mixed with sun and moisture they travel a long time (500-1500) or short time (50-300) miles then they turn into acid rain. There are two different acids, sulfuric acid and nitric acid. Sulfuric and Nitric acid come from burning coal, power plants, and factories. Nitric acid mostly comes from fossil fuels.

The effects caused from the acid rain are the limestone and marble get eaten away at as well as metal. Lakes and streams get polluted and the animals die away and so does the plants. This creates a “Dead Lake”. Frogs and acid rain is a bad mix. They usually mutate or die away. Solutions to help stop acid rain are the scrubbers which are placed on top of smokestacks. They are like a washing machine. From that it creates sludge and they reuse that to make sheet rock/ dry wall with it. Reducing sources of pollution: use different energy, not use your car or change them so that they don’t work on gasoline. Reducing travel, electricity use, and reduce ghosting. Carpooling saves a lot of gas and it doesn’t pollute our air that much because instead of using four cars you’re using one.

I put “Green” because Antarctica is trying to stay green and recycle to keep it as a clean environment. I have a penguin because it’s one of the few mammals that live there. I put icicles because it gets really cold and things can freeze. I put a sun and melting because of Global Warming and how it’s getting hotter and it’s melting everything; example the polar icecaps. I put mountains because there are many different mountains in Antarctica.

Stock Market

In math class we invested in 3 or 4 stocks and we were given $10,000 to do that. We fallowed those 3 or 4 stocks for 14 weeks and wrote down the closing prices every Friday for them. At the end of the 14 weeks we will make a huge portfolio on all the things we did with the stock market. We also fallowed the Dow Jones Industrial Average as well.

I picked Apple as one of my stocks because a lot of people buy Mac and Apple laptops/desktops even not on special occasions. So I thought that apple would have a lot of money invested in it. Another one of my stocks is Aéropostale and I picked that stock because its buy price wasn’t that high at the time and I tried to use up as much as my $10,000 as possible. I know what Aéropostale is because it is one of my favorite clothing stores as the mall and I was trying to look for another stock and that just came into mind. The last stock I picked was Wal-Mart. I picked Wal-Mart because Wal-Mart has everything to food and clothes to home furnishings. I thought that if a lot of people go there and bought their products, they would receive a lot of money.

Now that I researched my stocks I know a little bit more about them and there is some thing that I would probably change if I kept on going in the stocks I have. I probably buy a bit more stocks in Apple because it turned out that I didn’t lose anything in Apple and I gained $406.35 from when I bought it the first week to the last week. I would probably add a couple more stocks but not a lot in Aéropostale because I gained $1092.00 since the first week to the last week and I didn’t lose any money. So if I added more stocks then I would gain a bit more money. I would probably invest/switch to Exxon Mobile instead of Wal-Mart because Exxon stock prices increased over the 14 week period and Wal-Mart lost $296.46. Then that way if I invested in Exxon then I wouldn’t have lost any money.

Since we have been learning about the stock market for about 14 weeks now, I know it bit more about them then I did before and some things to look for. Look into the stock first, research it. You always want to research a stock before you pick it because you might not know how well it is doing or how well you think it might be doing. Even if you assume something about that stock still try to get a bit more information on it. Invest in a stock when the economy is going a good and steady pace. When you invest in a stock you would want to invest in it a right time, not when the economy is falling because the stock will probably lose money. The last thing, stocks can be pretty tricky so don’t invest in to much or too little stocks. You won’t want to invest in too many stocks because if you invest in too much and the stock loses money your in debt, if you invest in too little and the stock gains money you probably wouldn’t get as much. But again, stocks are tricky and risky and it could be on how the economy is going and your luck