Copyright (c) 2014 by BRMO Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
BRMO -- Blogmeister

Past Classes

by BRMO

teacher: Rye 8th Team

Analysis

This graph is about the amount of animals that were hit by cars in New Castle and Rye. It shows the data from the years of 2008 and 2009. I tried to figure out if a nocturnal or diurnal animal was hit more. I thought that nocturnal animals were going to be hit more because they hunt and scavenge at night.  I thought that there would be drunk drivers at night or there would be people that are less cautious so they would hit the animals that were out at the time.

After I did all of my research I discovered that I was wrong, diurnal animals were hit a lot more often than nocturnal animals. It seems that nocturnal animals survived more than the diurnal animals this year. This effect may have happened because we have more diurnal animals than nocturnal animals in this area. It also may have happened because more people drive during the day and not at night.

This is not what I expected. I expected more nocturnal because of the behavior of the drivers at night. Other variables that could have affected my data is that some of the animals could have had rabies. When nocturnal animals have rabies they walk around during the day and they don’t really know what they are doing.

For next year, I predict the same thing will happen. More diurnal animals will get hit than nocturnal animals. A big case of rabies could hit the nocturnal animals and may make them wonder around during the day and get hit by cars.

In my seventh grade science class has been studying roadkill in our towns, Rye and New Castle. We have been studying this for 7 weeks each year for more than fifteen years. All of our data goes one data base but other people can axis it. The animal that was hit the most this year was the gray squirrel, and people hit 21 of them. We counted many animals that only got hit once.

badge

This is the earth day badge my school was given for participating in the earthcast 2009. I participated in it by making a slide show that had questions about earthday on it. I was put in a group with three other classmates and it took us about four days to make it. It wasnt very hard and we got to announce in the earthcast!

Seed Folks

My whole school read a book called Seed Folk by Paul Fleischman. It is about a garden in an empty lot in Cleveland that is started by a little Vietnamese girl. The book shows different sides of the story from different views. There are people from all over the world that help to make the garden and it shows how a little community can come together and help. Our school decided to start a school garden and we have all been helping out.

In our language arts class we decided to make two seed packets based off of the book. One seed packet was from the book and one packet was from our experience. We chose one character from the book and made a seed packet about them. I picked Maricela because she was a very interesting person. She is sixteen years old, Mexican, and pregnant. My seed packet for her was “Maricela’s Newborn Chard”. For my other seed packet I based it off of my little brother Lian. The Seed packet is called “Lian’s Plump Pumpkins”. Plump something I call him and he gets mad at me.   Lian wanted to plant pumpkins but he never got to do it

For my flag I show a lot of different symbols. One symbol is the big green stripe across the center, it means that Antarctica is going green. The glaciers in the background represent the mountains and glaciers that are all over Antarctica. For a border a listed the different countries that are part of the peace treaty of Antarctica and that have a station there. I drew a large picture of Antarctica in the middle of the earth which represents how many countries help to make Antarctica the way it is!

In my math class our teacher gave us each ten thousand dollars to spend on stock. Of course the money wasn’t real money. We had to spend the money on about three or four stocks. I spent mine on Apple Inc., Wal-Mart, and Transmeta Corp. I chose Apple because it was a big company and the stocks were doing really. I chose Wal-Mart because Wal-Mart sells everything and no matter how bad the economy is doing people will go there, or at least that is what I think. The last one I chose was Transmeta Corp. I chose it because the buy price was seventeen dollars so I could buy a lot of Stock in it and I also got right as we hit this economy crisis the company started to do very well.

If I had to change something about my stock investments I would have researched all of my companies more. I would have found out that the company I invested in was going to be taken over by another company. They had been deciding to merge for about half a year. I would have switched some of my stocks. For instance I would have invested in Exxon Mobile because all of my friends that invested in it got money.

Advice I would give to other people is invest in the larger companies. It is more likely for a smaller company to get taken over or to close than a bigger company like Wal-Mart and Apple Inc. I would also make sure that people would research there companies or look at the graph to find out how they have recently been acting. I didn’t do that and one of my stocks closed. I also suggest that you don’t buy stocks in car companies because right now they are all doing really badly. You may want to buy stock in the Old Navy and the Gap because even though we are in this economy crisis people will still be buying clothes and the clothes. I suggest you shouldn’t but in electronic companies because no one is spending their money on that stuff. Now, buy your stock wisely and hope for the best! 

We had to do a still life project. our teacher put different things out on a table and we had to draw different perspectives.

A category one hurricanes winds start at 60 mph, that is how fast my heart beats when I am with you.

Until the 1500's people believed that the earth was the center of the universe, but I believe that you are the center of the universe.

My Love for you could melt a diving hole in Antarctica.

I would walk 93 million miles for you, that is to the sun.

The ice storm this weekend was terrible. I woke up Friday morning and my brother was still at the house. I asked what happened and he said we have no power or school. He points out side and I see the power line had icicles everywhere. We go downstairs and it was freezing. My mom told us to put on sweatshirts and nice clothes. That day we played Monopoly all day and my sister and her boyfriend went and got us food. My dad left work and we told him to get us some hot chocolate. He said he had good and bad news. The good news was he was getting us hot chocolate mix and the bad news was he forgot that we could boil water all day. When my dad got home he made a big fire and that fire ran for 72 hours. My siblings and I all got to sleep by the fire that night. The bad thing was my dad had to wake up every hour and put wood on the fire. One of our family friends had a generator and we rotated it with a few families so we got heat every once in a while. Finally on Sunday morning at about 10:30 we got power back. I immediately took a nice hot shower!