Copyright (c) 2014 by SREL Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
SREL -- Blogmeister

SREL

R - Z 2011-2012

by SREL

teacher: Rye 8th Team

Ms. Ellwood has been in Antarctica since October, but on November 13 she got to see an Adelie penguin colony! She went with her friend Jean Pennycook (who works with the Adelie Penguin Project) to Cape Royds Penguin Colony. Ms. Ellwood got to watch the Adelie penguins make nests out of pebbles, flapping their wings to mark territory and sitting on eggs. She says that it was very fascinating and could have watched for days. Before she went to the colony Ms. Ellwood visited the cape Royds Hut. That was where Earnest Shackleton left from in order to be the first to climb Mt. Erebus. Ms. Ellwood thought that the day couldn’t get any better but on the way back to McMurdo they stopped at an ice cave! Ms. Ellwood sure had a fun day. When Ms. Ellwood returns I would love to find out if she ever would want to study penguins instead of ice. After seeing the penguin colony it would be inspiring to research them. If Ms. Ellwood did want to study penguins which type would she study and why?           

[LINK]

pictures taken by Ms. Ellwood

Article posted December 8, 2008 at 12:00 AM • comment • Reads 60 • see all articles